Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Those that are interested in an S411 FF FWD Kit might want to scope our vendor forum!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/p1-hobbies-161/
Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Since the stock setup runs ff 2.0 and fr 1.0 this makes the arm sweep back a little, where Marks setup would actually bring the arm forward? or less sweep back but actually sweep forward. I would guess he was trying to get some of the aggressiveness out of the front end of the car, maybe a little bit of a push, with the compensation of getting a little more rear traction out of the setup. Going to the 1/1.5 instead of 2/2.5 was probably used so the car still felt a little more reactive to steering change but not enough to make the car feel slow to steering change.

All wild speculation on my part, but thats how I would use that option setup. For asphalt I think this may be the answer to lite feeling in the rear cars.

Of course, not to forget that changing the arm sweep will also effect several other settings on the car, such as wheel base, ackerman, the feel of the shocks due to shock angle and so on and so on.
Gary or anyone else for that matter, Have you played with track width on the 411 at all? I was looking for some more stability as my car was a bit tippy when riding the kerbs in heavy traffic. I am now running the 2.5ff/2.0fr and 1.0rf/3.5rr suspension blocks and really like how this feels. We have not had a hot race day recently so the track has been slower than normal and im not sure if im going in the right direction.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I switched the stock setup early on, running a 2.0 fr block giving me a 2.0 ff and 2.0 fr. I believe this resulted in a calmer more manageable car, easier to drive.
I do believe I lost a little aggressiveness in the steering though.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Gary or anyone else for that matter, Have you played with track width on the 411 at all? I was looking for some more stability as my car was a bit tippy when riding the kerbs in heavy traffic. I am now running the 2.5ff/2.0fr and 1.0rf/3.5rr suspension blocks and really like how this feels. We have not had a hot race day recently so the track has been slower than normal and im not sure if im going in the right direction.
Can you explain what tippy is for me? Like unstable if you clip a kurb, car is un-settled? or does the car feel like its top heavy causing it to feel like its ready to two wheel?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

I purchased a set of acer ceramics to install since I am going through my car for maintenance. The bearings for the steering assembly are not flanged and the bearings from serpent are. Any foreseeable problems running the flange-less bearings? Oh and of course the dcj's I ordered come with a completely new bearing size.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I listed my S411 LE for sale if anyone is interested in a LE #199.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-le-199-a.html
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
I purchased a set of acer ceramics to install since I am going through my car for maintenance. The bearings for the steering assembly are not flanged and the bearings from serpent are. Any foreseeable problems running the flange-less bearings? Oh and of course the dcj's I ordered come with a completely new bearing size.
If its the bearings for the steering idler arms then this could be a problem as the arm is straight thru cut and not stepped so the bearing could slide right thru. I actually found that part of the small play in the steering was due to the looseness of those bearings in the arms, once I glued them into place it really tightened the play up in the steering. Only bad part was that I'm pretty sure I ended up making one of those bearings a bushing, lol, but it really helped the play.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Can you explain what tippy is for me? Like unstable if you clip a kurb, car is un-settled? or does the car feel like its top heavy causing it to feel like its ready to two wheel?
The car is quite stable and doesnt feel unsettled. It does feel like the car wants to go up on two wheels and tip over on this one particular hairpin. I have come into this problem when the weather has been cooler and I am wondering if ive gotten it wrong with the spring change ive made. When it was hot I ran green/black or black/grey springs with 500/400 oil and the car was fine. Now its cooler im running grey/white with the same 500/400 oil.

Last edited by Benzaah; 06-01-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

With regards to track width, the best combination I have found so far is 1.5/1.0 front and 0/3.0-3.5 rear, sometimes adding .5mm sheel shims to the rear in low bite. I was running 2.5/2.0 front and the steering felt inconsistent. Narrowing the front smoothed the steering out everywhere (15lb springs front and back). I measured my widths at the ends of the axles, and I think it came to 188mm front/185m rear (?).
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
With regards to track width, the best combination I have found so far is 1.5/1.0 front and 0/3.0-3.5 rear, sometimes adding .5mm sheel shims to the rear in low bite. I was running 2.5/2.0 front and the steering felt inconsistent. Narrowing the front smoothed the steering out everywhere (15lb springs front and back). I measured my widths at the ends of the axles, and I think it came to 188mm front/185m rear (?).
Your talking about running on asphalt correct.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 98tahoeboy
Your talking about running on asphalt correct.
I actually ran this on carpet for the past couple of months in stock and mod. I've only had the chance to run asphalt once so far, but I used the exact same setup except for switching to the Mazdaspeed 6. The front dug a bit much but otherwise it drove great..... The only change I am going to make from there is stiffer springs all around. I don't have HPI silvers (the go-to asphalt spring it seems), but I did pick up XRAY 3.0 and 2.6 that have worked well on other cars.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Benzaah
The car is quite stable and doesnt feel unsettled. It does feel like the car wants to go up on two wheels and tip over on this one particular hairpin. I have come into this problem when the weather has been cooler and I am wondering if ive gotten it wrong with the spring change ive made. When it was hot I ran green/black or black/grey springs with 500/400 oil and the car was fine. Now its cooler im running grey/white with the same 500/400 oil.
If the temps go down, you'll probably need to go down in oil thickness as well. I think your on the right track of thinking though.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

I made a quick change in between heats and lowered my inboard rear camber link to 1mm not remembering that the screw will protrude to far down through the shocktower mount and into the blades on the cvd. Needless to say I did a number on the blades but managed to finish the heat.
A friendly reminder when making roll center adjustments 1mm= bad
Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Mr. Wishbone, you running the new shocks yet?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pcar951
Mr. Wishbone, you running the new shocks yet?
They are on route as we speak, also the V2 diff, and a couple other goodies, I'll post results of tests as I get through the items.

I can tell you the Exotec chassis and steering brace are very nice items, although not earth shattering faster it gives the car a more consistent overall feel, maybe slightly better rear grip, although I did end up moving my rear shock angle one hole when I went from the stock chassis to the Exo. The Steering brace, I noticed no difference in performance, but I'm sure its not hurting the cars performance. I do like the extra cutouts for the motor cooling and it seems to be easier to access the pinion set screw. The larger cutouts for the diffs and belt clearance is nice as well, and the slightly extra material off the back suspension brace is nice as well. The stock chassis really had very little material back there. Probably the only thing I don't like about the chassis is that you can't use the stock battery retainers and the tape holders. The screw mounting points are closer together so they have their own proprietory items which make holding the batteries in the old way with a complete loop of tape around the batteries. If I was comparing all the chassis I feel this chassis falls between the 2.0 and the 2.25 stock chassis for feel. I never did get a good feel for the super flex top plate and prefer the cut stock top plate. I hope to get some tests in on the 1.75 top plate and see where that one falls into the mix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.