Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RDXracerboy
I have a question about my shocks.. This has happened to me with my previous cars before, so thought it was just normal but now I want to ask since these shocks are much better then my previous. When I rebuild them, and fill up with oil they have nice preload.. but then when I stick them on the car and give it just one run, and take them off the car the pre load is gone... I haven't noticed any leak and was wondering if this is normal? Or am I not rebuilding properly? Thanks for any replies..
There's a good chance your shock bladders are turning inside out. Is it all 4 shocks or just the fronts? With the lowered shock tower in the front, I cut about 1/2 of the threads off the shock shaft, and actually shortened the shock end as well. This way the piston runs more in the middle of the shock body, instead up right up by the bladder. Also, you can try running one of the foam "dots" that several companies make on top of the bladder, that will keep it from flipping inside out, or caving in at all.

Hope this helps

Brett
Old 02-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrettBowen
There's a good chance your shock bladders are turning inside out. Is it all 4 shocks or just the fronts? With the lowered shock tower in the front, I cut about 1/2 of the threads off the shock shaft, and actually shortened the shock end as well. This way the piston runs more in the middle of the shock body, instead up right up by the bladder. Also, you can try running one of the foam "dots" that several companies make on top of the bladder, that will keep it from flipping inside out, or caving in at all.

Hope this helps

Brett
Brett it happens with all 4 shocks, and has always happened with previous cars aswell.... I have the rounded part facing down so if you look at the shocks without the shock caps on its the hole facing up... any ideas? So this dosen't happen to you? Your shocks always have preload? And if so do you fill it up that its hard to push the preload in when rebuilding? Cause when I rebuild them they have preload in and its fine, but just like after a run the don't anymore...
Old 02-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i build my shocks to be completely dead, no rebound at all, i save that for the springs
Old 02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kartermdb
i build my shocks to be completely dead, no rebound at all, i save that for the springs
Oh ok thanks Mark. I just thought people always trying to get the rebounds to be the same and stuff, still performs like it should just thought it was supposed to keep the rebound, but thanks for clearing it up for me!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

When you rebuild em, try to go with much less rebound. A normal shock should only push out about half the shock shaft. If your rebound is high, then when your running the car, the seal will turn inside out like brett said.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for the suggestion Riketsu! Makes sense.. I do usually have high rebounds when I rebuild.. thanks.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm having an issue with my car and I'm getting very frustrated. I just got the 3.9mm chassis and I'm putting the car back together and I install the steering post only to find out that it hits the front bulkheads. Am I doing something wrong here? You'll also notice that where the steering posts mount, it is not milled down, is it supposed to be? Any help would be great! Thanks!!

Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Lightbulb shocks

Originally Posted by Riketsu
When you rebuild em, try to go with much less rebound. A normal shock should only push out about half the shock shaft. If your rebound is high, then when your running the car, the seal will turn inside out like brett said.
I was told to build them to rebound all the way out is your way with all shocks ? I run Tamiya shocks on my rdx ...just wondering
Old 02-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

[QUOTE=kabttu]I'm having an issue with my car and I'm getting very frustrated. I just got the 3.9mm chassis and I'm putting the car back together and I install the steering post only to find out that it hits the front bulkheads. Am I doing something wrong here? You'll also notice that where the steering posts mount, it is not milled down, is it supposed to be? Any help would be great! Thanks!!

I got my car already assembled, but from looking at it, I see that my chassis is milled out around the steering posts. I would call corally, or the lhs you purchased it from and ask them. Is it a corally part or not? Just curious.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
I got my car already assembled, but from looking at it, I see that my chassis is milled out around the steering posts. I would call corally, or the lhs you purchased it from and ask them. Is it a corally part or not? Just curious.
That's what I was afraid of. I've already moved everything back over to the original chassis. I bought it from Stormer hobbies, should I call them or call Corally directly?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kabttu
I'm having an issue with my car and I'm getting very frustrated. I just got the 3.9mm chassis and I'm putting the car back together and I install the steering post only to find out that it hits the front bulkheads. Am I doing something wrong here? You'll also notice that where the steering posts mount, it is not milled down, is it supposed to be? Any help would be great! Thanks!!
When I expressed interest in the 3.9mm chassis, a couple people warned me that they had to mill down the area where the steering posts are located on their original units.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kabttu
Both of mine are milled out at the steering posts, they're both put together, but you can see no clearance problems (you can kind of see the post into the milled are):

Old 02-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

im not sure that early or late matters, as mine was one of the first couple o' batches, and it did have the milled areas for the posts...

i would bet Jeff B. will be on here shortly, and let you know what would be best to do...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Regarding the clearance......

We had a few chassis that had the milling removed from the bellcranks in hopes to fix the bump steer angle on the steering link. Well, it obviously hits the bulkhead. We stopped shipping those and sent the ones we still had back to be fixed.

You simply have to dremel the nut and screws a bit to make clearance. Justin Zorc ran this exact chassis at Novak and finished 4th with it. Only has to be dremeled like 1mm or so.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Regarding the clearance......

We had a few chassis that had the milling removed from the bellcranks in hopes to fix the bump steer angle on the steering link. Well, it obviously hits the bulkhead. We stopped shipping those and sent the ones we still had back to be fixed.

You simply have to dremel the nut and screws a bit to make clearance. Justin Zorc ran this exact chassis at Novak and finished 4th with it. Only has to be dremeled like 1mm or so.

Jeff
So if I understand correctly I just need to dremel the nut holding the joint ball on each steering post?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.