Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help for carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default help for carpet

Hey guys, didn't know where to post this, but hope somebody can help. I have a AE b4 I'm setting up for carpet trying to get a good set up on it. There are no jumps just lots of turns, I have 60 wt in the shocks with #3 pistons, the car is lowered, and a sway bar on the rear, the car kicks out alot in the back and the front is to twitchy and it wants to spin out alot. I would like to get the car to carve through the turns like I know it can but can't remember how to set it up. I know it won't be like the t6 or the xray but still want to have fun, Any help would be awesome, thanks guys

Last edited by jdawg; 12-05-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

You never mentioned what tires you were running... Anyway foams would be best. Also remove the sway bar and remember sway bars not only eliminate roll but also take traction away from whatever end of the car they are on. I can also guarantee your suspension is too firm. I would suggest softer springs all around, #2 pistons, 40 weight oil in the front, 30 in the rear would be a good place to start.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by trerc
You never mentioned what tires you were running... Anyway foams would be best. Also remove the sway bar and remember sway bars not only eliminate roll but also take traction away from whatever end of the car they are on. I can also guarantee your suspension is too firm. I would suggest softer springs all around, #2 pistons, 40 weight oil in the front, 30 in the rear would be a good place to start.
Wow Im way off , I am running foams, should I raise the car up to stock ride height, and thanks for the help man.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jdawg
Wow Im way off , I am running foams, should I raise the car up to stock ride height, and thanks for the help man.
Hay guys, still need some help, on my b4 buggy that i have set up for carpet I changed the set up a bit its better but the rear or the car still kicks out alot like the front gets too much traction if i stiffen up the front end it pushes and then dont want to turn good I need help getting ready to race the car so please help, thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hay guys, still need some help, on my b4 buggy that i have set up for carpet I changed the set up a bit its better but the rear or the car still kicks out alot like the front gets too much traction if i stiffen up the front end it pushes and then dont want to turn good I need help getting ready to race the car so please help, thanks
Aww come on you carpet pro racers help me if it was dirt i would help you guys out if you need it.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Aww come on you carpet pro racers help me if it was dirt i would help you guys out if you need it.
Check your droop. Push-decrease front droop. Oversteer-decrease rear droop
Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by C&B RC
Check your droop. Push-decrease front droop. Oversteer-decrease rear droop
ok kind of get it
Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

ok kind of get it
Think of it like rear squat.

It the rear end squats to much, more weight has been transfer to the rear away from the front = less steering=push. If you decrease the front droop (usually turning the screws in) it prevents the front from rising too much and reduces the weight transfer to the rear. If the "car" is oversteering (backend kicking out during a turn) the opposite is happening. As you decrease your speed for a turn the weight transfer to the front (rearend rises), to much and you lose the rear traction and the backend swings. So reducing the rear droop limits the amount the rear rises and in turn the amount of weight transferring to the front. Droop adjust is a fine tune. Spring & angle have a bigger effect.
The more you lean a shock in the softer the action also moving the shock in on the bottom arm softens the action. Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Think of it like rear squat.

It the rear end squats to much, more weight has been transfer to the rear away from the front = less steering=push. If you decrease the front droop (usually turning the screws in) it prevents the front from rising too much and reduces the weight transfer to the rear. If the "car" is oversteering (backend kicking out during a turn) the opposite is happening. As you decrease your speed for a turn the weight transfer to the front (rearend rises), to much and you lose the rear traction and the backend swings. So reducing the rear droop limits the amount the rear rises and in turn the amount of weight transferring to the front. Droop adjust is a fine tune. Spring & angle have a bigger effect.
The more you lean a shock in the softer the action also moving the shock in on the bottom arm softens the action. Hope this helps
ya that helps alot, lookes like I have to drop my car lower in the back, I have the shocks in the inside holes on the top and outside on the bottom is that wright, but thanks for the help .
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Addict

ya that helps alot, lookes like I have to drop my car lower in the back, I have the shocks in the inside holes on the top and outside on the bottom is that wright, but thanks for the help .
Best I can say is maybe since I can't see it run. You can soften the rear more by moving the bottom inside (more rear traction). If that makes it push stand the front shocks up more. Keep the front & rear ride heights equal.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Best I can say is maybe since I can't see it run. You can soften the rear more by moving the bottom inside (more rear traction). If that makes it push stand the front shocks up more. Keep the front & rear ride heights equal.
Im going to do that and drop the car a little more for lower center of gravety and do the shock set up and see what happens. thanks for the help have a beer on me .