Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

3Racing Sakura Zero S

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah I've seen this mod, but I can't do it yet as I'm in a tightly controlled class and we can't make mods to the original kit instructions. I've also noticed my receiver is glitching so that may be causing some speed issues, I've ordered a glitch buster so hopefully that will sort that out....
Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BCZero
Thanks Skyball, Im using 106/32 64p with the 19T but that gets me 6.63:1 is it worth the effort trying for the extra .03? probably not, but im noticing im slower in a straight line than the heavier TA-05's running 6.66:1...if its not FDR, it could be my ESC, its an old APEX Equal Ive had for 7 years, so im replacing that next to try get some top speed back compared to the TA's Im running against.

Ooh another question, im running a really heavy diff oil in teh front diff (100k) to try and keep it tight, would that cause resistance and slow me down given im only running 540, im assuming a brushless would just power over the top of that resistance...is it worth investing in a fixed front diff or spool type arrangement?
The spool weighs less, so less rotating mass would help. The other guys probably have faster motors. Not all 540s are created equal
Also, check how free your driveline is with the pinion removed. I had a problem with my old Zero, the alternative pullies weren't exactly the same pitch as the kit pulley. Grab a Tamiya 19t pulley.....
Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello guys,

I am now also an owner of this Sakura Zero S. After a short time I noticed, that there is a problem with the steering.
When I pull the throttle full, and try to steer after letting the throttle back, it takes perhaps a second to steer the front tires to the direction I want to drive. I am using a Hobbywing Ezrun Set with 60A and the motor is a 6.5 one.

I dont know, if thats normal, but I guess it isn't. If it isn't normal, what could it be? Until yet I couldn't figure out, if it is the electronic part or the mechanic part of steering.
Holding the Sakura in my hand and try to provoke this situation has failed. It seems that it happens only on the ground.
I have also to say that everything is stock.

Help would be appreciated
Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

It would help to know the servo you are running..... Sounds like low tourqe... When your holding it, it is not under load, so no issues...
Old 09-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Well I don't know the model name any longer but it is one from Kyosho. I have used it before in my HPI Firestorm and it worked there perfectly.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Team Orion Vortex servo's?

regards Roy

Originally Posted by Erzurum25
Well I don't know the model name any longer but it is one from Kyosho. I have used it before in my HPI Firestorm and it worked there perfectly.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

No not such a special thing.

I found it now online. It is a Kyosho Servo KS-3 DS.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

i would say get a real high speed, decent torque servo.... that looks like one that came in a rtr or something and they are always under-speced... I am currently running the savox sc-1251MG and am loving it and its been running well for the last year and a half.......
Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

I just wanted to join in here and post my own report.

I have two of these kits; one for USVTA and one set to ROAR 17.5 spec.
I ran both for the first time this past weekend at the USVTA Southern Nationals in Nashville TN at Thunder RC. This was an indoor event on carpet.
I got 10th in the A-main for USVTA, out of 42 entries.
I got 3rd in the B-main in 17.5, out of 16 entries. My lap times in 17.5 were less than a second off from factory team/sponsored drivers, so I'm very happy with the Sakura Zero S.

I know most people here are recommending a bunch of upgrades, and I'm going to be buying those to help with maintenance, but I wanted to make it clear that the car does NOT need them to be competitive.
Both of my cars are set up according to the kit stock setup sheet and the only modification I have done is to Dremel the top deck and fit the vertical motor mount. I removed the battery holders and just used battery tape to hold my packs in.

My placement, although okay, could have been better if not for my lack of experience in these classes. I have only had the USVTA car out once before the event, and it was the first time I've driven 17.5.

So I will be buying the threaded shocks (sick of the spacers, but had no shock issues at all), and the 19t center pulley.

My local track here in SC will be starting both USVTA and 17.5 zero timing this Saturday, so I will see what changes need to be made to the Sakura Zero S to run these classes on asphalt outdoors.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RyeRey521
i would say get a real high speed, decent torque servo.... that looks like one that came in a rtr or something and they are always under-speced... I am currently running the savox sc-1251MG and am loving it and its been running well for the last year and a half.......
I'm running this servo in my zero s also, perfect, but for the hi current draw on my crappy receiver, a capacitor or glitch buster will fix that for you if you find this happens....I just installed the LRP stabilizing cap and so far no more glitching!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

For all the people having problems with the gear diffs:

3racing just released an excellent article on how to build the diffs: http:<doubleslash>os.3racing.hk/articles.php?articles_key=133 (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet). The article explicitely refers to the version 2 diffs, but I think most of it fits the version 1 diffs in the same way.

Greetings, Christian
Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Question

I am new to both touring cars and drifting (currently just watching), and have been really interested in the Sakura Zero S. There are two tracks near me, one has drifting only, and the other has both. I have a couple questions going along with this. Is the Zero S a good platform for someone new to both? Would it be recommended for me to just buy one and swap tires, etc or buy two kits? As far as electronics goes, I plan on using a Tekin RS Pro and a Tekin RedLine 17.5 for touring, what would suggested for drifting? I run a Kyosho SCR in short course, but in the winter the only indoor track is drift/touring car.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Batfish
I just wanted to join in here and post my own report.
Just WOW! Joe actually racing on-road rather than just bashing... Wish you were still up north. As long as you steer clear of dirty dirla, VTA should be not so much a problem for you...

Joe, great to see you still running. Have a great day.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by timmay70
Just WOW! Joe actually racing on-road rather than just bashing... Wish you were still up north. As long as you steer clear of dirty dirla, VTA should be not so much a problem for you...

Joe, great to see you still running. Have a great day.
Timmay!
I'm trying to get USVTA and TC going at my local track here in South Carolina. This Sakura Zero S has been a great inexpensive choice so far.

Good to see you checking up on me

I'll be up in MA during the Thanksgiving week and hope to stop by RCE!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Too bad... I am attempting to make it to USIC in Cleveland that week... Just think, if my employment situation doesn't change, we will see each other.

I was looking into the high zoot version of this chassis... again, employment issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.