Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Talk me out of buying a new Touring Car!!! >

Talk me out of buying a new Touring Car!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talk me out of buying a new Touring Car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

415msxx mre, $100 if u want it.

Originally Posted by gruman28
I have an original Xray T2. I want to run a Spec 17.5 class (no timing/boost).

The car is in good shape, but upon setting it up i notice how very unbalanced it was with a lipo. I have to add tons of weight. Also the bulkheads will only allow thinner orion lipos (bulkheads are dremmeled).

I know I can buy a brass weight ($50) that fits in the slots, but worry about battery fit and putting another $50 in an outdated car.

Talk me out of buying a new T/C?

I always see used Touring cars selling around $200 and I can get a new car for around $300+. (TC5R new for $260 at tower with coupons)

thanks
Chris
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

is balance the only problem you have? you mind sharing pics of your setup?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Suspended

Sometimes a new car goes a very long way. Even if you may not be able to out-perform your current ride, just the mental side of it can be huge. Knowing you're car is fresh can be a big mental advantage when you hit the track.

Not a new-to-you car that someone else built and ran, but just fresh from the factory equipment. The T3R and TC5R are both good options for you. Of course you know which one I'd suggest over the other, but that is entirely up to you to decide.

I suggest the T3R because I think quality of fit and finish as well as durability that Xray provides are huge in achieving that mental advantage and confidence that I mentioned earlier. Plus you know there is always great product support at races and online with the Xray brand.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've bought mild to wildly used cars.

the newer model mildly used cars are the ones to get IMO.

The car will be in decent to good shape when recieved(of course check with good pictures if online and clear communication of its condition), you save a lot of money from lhs markups and taxes, and its also a pretty competitive selling forum on rctech if there are no local hot deals.

That said, I ran my very used FT TC4 for 2 seasons after selling my Xray 07(dont ask lol) and I still had fun. I grabbed a mild used T3 this month, and it was well worth the money to have something so close to new, easier to drive, that performs so well, has lots of parts, and did I mention it was shiny?

My advice: Plan a budget, stick to it, and have fun. No point stressing over money if it'll ruin your fun.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

This sport is all about money money and more money. I think it's the same as any other sport. To buy or not to buy is all about your finance. If you have the extra cash to spare, why not. If you don't that's something else to think about.

The car you are having is a great platform the subsequent models were build upon. There are improvements that might or might not make you a A Main driver. Like others have said it's the feel good factor. If you need all the latest you could be looking at the T3 from fellow drivers for a good good price. Some of these cars are only less than 6 mth old.

To buy or not to buy is all about money money money.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Would it be better for a new to road RC guy to buy a 08 T3 or the new T3R?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I got a Team Magic E4FS almost fully loaded with alloy parts for 180 US for you.
Allready lipo 5000MAH and brushless ready.
If interested gimme a pb.
Car is well balanced due to the lipo beeing in the centre of the car.

regards Roy
Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks for everyones input. Gonna look into the T3R.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

add the extra w ww.speedtechrc.com/store/ebproductdetail.asp?id=10381
Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kowkl
This sport is all about money money and more money. I think it's the same as any other sport. To buy or not to buy is all about your finance. If you have the extra cash to spare, why not. If you don't that's something else to think about.

The car you are having is a great platform the subsequent models were build upon. There are improvements that might or might not make you a A Main driver. Like others have said it's the feel good factor. If you need all the latest you could be looking at the T3 from fellow drivers for a good good price. Some of these cars are only less than 6 mth old.

To buy or not to buy is all about money money money.
couldnt have said it better
Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

I find that as a car wears out, a little bit of slop here and there may add up to a car that feels numb and inconsistent. You can still find many parts for your car, as well as convert it to become lipo ready via a kit. Maybe just a rebuild/update of your car is in order? It is a much cheaper alternative that can yield on-track results... but if you can afford a new car, why not?

Fresh car = butter = might make it easier to drive.

My racing "program" is heavily dictated on budget... I feel like it's all about giving yourself the freshest car in the cheapest manner possible.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default save

Save ur money there will be a new car come out 2011. Or improvements on the car that is out now.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mate ppl say wait for a new car it will be out in what ever date.. but if you can afford it buy it... if you cant dont. If you have a family, kids, wife or whatever you have to look after life first then hobby second.

Cant take food off the table just for this and thats what I go by.
There is always going to be a new car released by a brand atleast once a year if not more so when the time is right you will know.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

I try to find lightly used/raced cars for my race team. If its only a balance issue making you consider selling/buying up, find a set of adhesive lead weights and stick them to the side of your lipo. Add what you need to balance L/R and forget it

My TC is an old Corally RDX, i race stock sedan. I love it and typically podium every week and have snuck in a TQ and a win so far this season. By regular touring car mentality this car should be in the RC junkyard. By my mentality its got all the adjustment I need to make it competive. I've built up a small cache of spares. I've raced it 3 years and broke one suspension arm. Thats it. I'm comfortable with the car, could fix it with my eyes shut, its FAST and durable as a brick.

Chances are if you buy a new chassis, you will go slower part of the season figuring out how to make it go like your old one.

Just my 2 cents However, if i won the lotto, there would be a new TC in my house every 6 months
Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Photocycler
Would it be better for a new to road RC guy to buy a 08 T3 or the new T3R?
Unless money is no object--and depending how "new" you are-- I would buy a GOOD used car a few seasons old. What's been running at your local track? Parts availability will be key-- stay with one that's been popular -- and learn by picking up all the "tuning" bits you'll need. Look for a T2 or T3 Xray "setup" book!!! It's invaluable for helping you understand what works and what changes do to ANY TC chassis!!!
But for sure---GO FOR IT--on road is a lot of fun!! And you CAN be competitive on a budget!!!
T