Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP SXX V2 for 1/12th Stock - Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Sorry but I gotta ask this. what do you guys mean by adjust my roll out or go to a bigger roll out? I've heard of roll out before but always thought it was something to do with racing foam tires.(is this what you guys are referring too)
or.....
Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Midget
Sorry but I gotta ask this. what do you guys mean by adjust my roll out or go to a bigger roll out? I've heard of roll out before but always thought it was something to do with racing foam tires.(is this what you guys are referring too)
or.....
Yes, they are referring to racing with foam tires. The title of the thread, and original poster were asking about settings for a 1/12th pan car which use foam tires.

Roll-out: how many inches(millimeters) your tire rolls/how far your car travels for each turn of the motor.

Tire Diameter x PI (3.14) = Circumference of tire
Spur / Pinion (120/43 is 2.7907 for example) = Gear Ratio
Tire Circumference / Gear ratio = Roll out

Check out Gearchart.com as you can enter tire diam, spur, pinion sizes etc and it will do the calculations for you.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

So, to go with a larger roll out without gearing up. Would you run a set of tires with a larger circumference? If thats right then you'd only change the rears since we're talking about 2wd cars?

Sorry to get a little off topic. I'm new to foam and 12th scale.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Midget
So, to go with a larger roll out without gearing up. Would you run a set of tires with a larger circumference? If thats right then you'd only change the rears since we're talking about 2wd cars?

Sorry to get a little off topic. I'm new to foam and 12th scale.
That's correct, but you want to keep your tire sizes in check. Larger tires tend to 'chunk' easier, they will need more power to spin them, and from what I've experienced the car seems to drive better with a consistent difference in front-to-rear tire size. It would also be easier, cheaper to go up a pinion tooth rather than throw on a new set of tires.

Check out these sites for a vast amount of info/knowledge:
http://richardchang.com/hobby.php?topic=112setup
http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/showthread.php?t=14314
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...orum-2401.html
Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for the help and the links andrew.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LRP SXX V2 1/12 ROLLOUT

can you summarize what rollout to use in 1/12 with these ESC - mine hasn't arrived yet but my 17.5 Fantom motor is begging for a day of racing. My track is approx 100 feet long with the normal amount of turns....what would be my starting rollout then for a Duo3 17.5? lower 60 or higher 70?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pokey72
can you summarize what rollout to use in 1/12 with these ESC - mine hasn't arrived yet but my 17.5 Fantom motor is begging for a day of racing. My track is approx 100 feet long with the normal amount of turns....what would be my starting rollout then for a Duo3 17.5? lower 60 or higher 70?
I would assume 70mm or higher. There is a little chart that is in the instruction manual that provides starting settings and roll out.
What they have listed for 13.5 works, but I wouls add 10mm to the roll out for both the LRP motors as well as the "other" motors.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If we can assume you are running non-boost, 95-100 roll is close for a 90x45 track.

As pointed out above, this esc is not best used for boosting stock spec motors.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default LRP SXX V2 1/12

Thanks guys...I love this thread!

Granted most guys at my track are running the RS, but in 17.5 I don't see the 1/12 cars "surge" or turbo like the larger TC vehicles. I'm sure it's due to the 1s vs 2s but still......so will it really be that much slower than a RS for 17.5 1/12 where they use the so called Turbo? Is there a setting or profile on the SXX v2 comp that would be comparable?

I'm sure it will make sense once I get mine...still waiting. Now, our Canada Post is on strike and RCBoys just mailed it...DOH!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks guys...I love this thread!

Granted most guys at my track are running the RS, but in 17.5 I don't see the 1/12 cars "surge" or turbo like the larger TC vehicles. I'm sure it's due to the 1s vs 2s but still......so will it really be that much slower than a RS for 17.5 1/12 where they use the so called Turbo? Is there a setting or profile on the SXX v2 comp that would be comparable?

I'm sure it will make sense once I get mine...still waiting. Now, our Canada Post is on strike and RCBoys just mailed it...DOH!
If you plan to use the SXX comp v2 in a class with boosted esc's be sure to stay off the racing line

Seriously.
Try the SXX Stock Spec v2 if you want to run boosted.

The SXX comp v2 is for mod, and can also run blinky.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default LRP SXX V2 FOR 1/12

Well it's too late then BC I ordered it and paid for it....based on my research (not track time). I went with the LRP SXX Comp V2 beucase it had a lower profile without the heatsink. the TC Spec or Stock Spec both had heat sinks which might make it too tall for 1/12 bodies.

The manual clearly shows BOOST settings and I like the idea of having seperate BOOST & FEEL settings....their manual states :

MODE 1 - lipo cutoff - for 1s it suggests setting #1 3.2v/cell

MODE 2 - ADPC FEEL setting for throttle feel Setting #1 is soft setting #10 is very aggressive. For 1s anything 5 and up is game I think.

MODE 3 - ADPC BOOST setting for active motor timing. It's software will read your RPM, throttle position, and current and make adjustments from their. Setting 1 - 10 implies 5 degree increments (if most systems top out approx 60 degrees) then most people run 30 - 40 degrees of boost which means any setting between 6 and 8 should work.

So I understand where you're coming from but I've great success with my previous LRP ESC's that I was willing to give the Comp V2 a chance.....I will be comparing it all to my MMPro 1 Cell and will post pictures when it arrives.

As suggested I will start my rollout at 70mm for my Fantom Duo 3 17.5 Spec motor.

Keep talking guys...MORE INFORMATION!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Well it's too late then BC I ordered it and paid for it....based on my research (not track time). I went with the LRP SXX Comp V2 beucase it had a lower profile without the heatsink. the TC Spec or Stock Spec both had heat sinks which might make it too tall for 1/12 bodies.

The manual clearly shows BOOST settings and I like the idea of having seperate BOOST & FEEL settings....their manual states :

MODE 1 - lipo cutoff - for 1s it suggests setting #1 3.2v/cell

MODE 2 - ADPC FEEL setting for throttle feel Setting #1 is soft setting #10 is very aggressive. For 1s anything 5 and up is game I think.

MODE 3 - ADPC BOOST setting for active motor timing. It's software will read your RPM, throttle position, and current and make adjustments from their. Setting 1 - 10 implies 5 degree increments (if most systems top out approx 60 degrees) then most people run 30 - 40 degrees of boost which means any setting between 6 and 8 should work.

So I understand where you're coming from but I've great success with my previous LRP ESC's that I was willing to give the Comp V2 a chance.....I will be comparing it all to my MMPro 1 Cell and will post pictures when it arrives.

As suggested I will start my rollout at 70mm for my Fantom Duo 3 17.5 Spec motor.

Keep talking guys...MORE INFORMATION!
I have both the SXX SS and the SXX Comp.
Both are great.
The SXXSS does fit under the lowest bodies without any issues.
Hard part is to route wires so they don't interfere with anything.

Work on your infield skills, and you may not be too far off the pace.
It's still a drivers class.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Default rollout required

Classes for the IIC have just been announced for WGT 1S 13.5 blinky Looking for a rollout.
X12 2 dot insert and 72mm has been suggested any opinions.