R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   LRP SXX V2 for 1/12th Stock - Opinion (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/436616-lrp-sxx-v2-1-12th-stock-opinion.html)

FLHX1550 09-21-2010 08:51 AM

LRP SXX V2 for 1/12th Stock - Opinion

Everyone,
I am not trying to start a "what ESC is better" thread, but I am really considering the LRP SXX V2 for running some 1/12th stock on carpet, and wondered how competitive they are.

I know the RS is the "one to have", but the 1s capability on the LRP with no need for a booster/battery is very attractive to me, I just dont like having to buy more and more "stuff"

Now the RS and Castle have very nice, PC based software to tune the timing, wondered how those out there with teh SXX are tuning it, or are they just using the buttons/lights on the ESC?

JayBee 09-21-2010 09:11 AM

Well I'm running one in my 12th. We run 13.5 *no boost* at my local carpet track and I'm very competitive speed-wise. I haven't had any problems with this esc whatsoever. So depending on whats ran at your track (boost vs. no boost), I don't feel this choice would be a bad one.

hth's

- JBee

MugenDrew 09-21-2010 09:58 AM

LRP is kinda got us all in limbo rite now. They have stated (burito) on the sxx stock spec thread that there will be an announcement on there web site in early October reguarding the SXX STOCK SPEC. V2. They where updating ver.1 (mrk I, II and III) at the IIC to V2's. So it sounds like the people that already own them will be able to send them in for the new firmware and anybody that is looking to buy might want to wait.
From LRP's forum the sole intent of the stock spec is for the spec motors and has much more agressive timing profiles.

FLHX1550 09-21-2010 10:21 AM

That's what I was gathering on the LRP forums also.

We do run boost settings, and the Tekin is 90% dominant at our track.

I am a little dis-heartened because it seems to me that the other manufacturers don't need a "stock" spec ESC and a mod one. There is enough adjustability to accomplish both.

I'd rather run the LRP because I dont have to run a receiver booster, but I am not going to be able to wait till Mid-Late october for a V2 Stock ESC to come out.

oXYnary 10-21-2010 01:54 PM

Couldn't they just offer optional firmware for the competition for spec racing with it versus a different esc? (Which on a separate subject have they announced a USB & program adapter yet?)

Dread Pirate 10-21-2010 06:49 PM

Like you, the built in booster, dynamic timing, and small size were very attractive for putting this into a 1/12th scale.

I used to run the Tekin RS, sold it all when my carpet track closed, bought the Havoc 1S to run the non-timing class at Vegas, and then bought the SXX v2 to run at my new carpet tracks 17.5 timing class.

Then I find out that the v2 is only for mod motors and that the dynamic timing wouldn't even kick in at the RPMs that a 17.5 generates. I traded a guy for his SXX Stock Spec and raced it last weekend. I think it's going to be a very good ESC, but the software needs some improvement, and they are about to release some new Sw.

Without timing, at Vegas and at my new track, rollouts of 100-105mm were giving the best lap times. I set the timing to 10 with rollouts ranging from 65 to 104 but never felt the dynamic timing kicking in. When I dropped the rollout to 50 I could finally feel it kicking in at the end of the straight, so I dropped the rollout to 45 for it to kick in sooner, but the car was slower due to the lower rollout.

This has left me thinking that the Sw hasn't really been tuned yet, the band is way too tight to be used effectively. Lot's of variables; I've spent some time adjusting, recording, adjusting, recording, etc. Not done, but I'm convinced that the current Sw is too simplisticly based on RPM alone and I'm looking forward to the next release, hoping it will let this fine ESC shine in 1-cell 1/12th configurations.

JayBee 10-21-2010 06:54 PM

Let me clarify my above statement.....

The LRP SXX V.2 is NOT made for SPEC racing!!! 17.5 or 13.5 no boost racing:tire:

oXYnary 10-22-2010 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by JayBee (Post 8105548)
Let me clarify my above statement.....

The LRP SXX V.2 is NOT made for SPEC racing!!! 17.5 or 13.5 no boost racing:tire:

But the thing is since this version will supposedly have a usb adapter coming out. There should be no reason they cannot offer such firmware in a future update?

Right:confused: No reason people cant have access to the spec timing as well. Or better yet. Just offer one version and offer different profiles. Period.

Or is the underlying thing here is LRP is NOT going to do this in order to purposely make a spec and competition esc? (In which case its time to look elsewhere)

avs 10-22-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate (Post 8105517)
Like you, the built in booster, dynamic timing, and small size were very attractive for putting this into a 1/12th scale.
Not done, but I'm convinced that the current Sw is too simplisticly based on RPM alone and I'm looking forward to the next release, hoping it will let this fine ESC shine in 1-cell 1/12th configurations.

if the dynamic timing is rpm based then it will be challenging to get 1 profile that works for both 1s and 2s voltage ranges. sounds possible that LRP 'tuned' the profile for 2s 17.5,13.5 ranges?

Apex 10-22-2010 07:52 AM

So are the internal components different between the SXX V2 and the SXX SS V2? If not, then would be nice to be able to download either the SXX V2 or the SXX SS V2. Then you could run the speedo in a mod or ss mode.

Apex 10-22-2010 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate (Post 8105517)

I used to run the Tekin RS, sold it all when my carpet track closed, bought the Havoc 1S to run the non-timing class at Vegas, and then bought the SXX v2 to run at my new carpet tracks 17.5 timing class.

Then I find out that the v2 is only for mod motors and that the dynamic timing wouldn't even kick in at the RPMs that a 17.5 generates. I traded a guy for his SXX Stock Spec and raced it last weekend. I think it's going to be a very good ESC, but the software needs some improvement, and they are about to release some new Sw.

Without timing, at Vegas and at my new track, rollouts of 100-105mm were giving the best lap times. I set the timing to 10 with rollouts ranging from 65 to 104 but never felt the dynamic timing kicking in. When I dropped the rollout to 50 I could finally feel it kicking in at the end of the straight, so I dropped the rollout to 45 for it to kick in sooner, but the car was slower due to the lower rollout.

This has left me thinking that the Sw hasn't really been tuned yet, the band is way too tight to be used effectively. Lot's of variables; I've spent some time adjusting, recording, adjusting, recording, etc. Not done, but I'm convinced that the current Sw is too simplisticly based on RPM alone and I'm looking forward to the next release, hoping it will let this fine ESC shine in 1-cell 1/12th configurations.

Did you try max timing on the motor and playing around with the boost?

oXYnary 10-22-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Apex (Post 8107597)
So are the internal components different between the SXX V2 and the SXX SS V2? If not, then would be nice to be able to download either the SXX V2 or the SXX SS V2. Then you could run the speedo in a mod or ss mode.

+1

Any LRP reps on here?

corallyman 10-22-2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by oXYnary (Post 8108465)
+1

Any LRP reps on here?

-1 to your +1 :)

Dread Pirate 10-22-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Apex (Post 8107620)
Did you try max timing on the motor and playing around with the boost?

Yes.
I am running a 17.5 Ballistic, it ships marked at 30 degrees. I ran test at 20, 30, and 40 degrees when the rollout was from 70mm to 104mm; in those ranges 40 timing was always better (which makes sense when no timing is kicking in). When I dropped it to 50 and 45 rollout I only ran it at the 30 mark sense I was afraid to over time.

RedBullFiXX 10-22-2010 01:04 PM

SXXSS V1.5

I have an SXXSS that was updated with new firmware that has been available since the iic, For arguments sake let's call it v1.5

It can be updated via usb once the new software is release from LRP. or so I'm told.

Raced 1/12th scale last sun with this setup: LRP X12 13.5 1S rotor, (4dot timing) at a 47mm roll. 0-7-9-0
It was a Rocket !

If I were to try it with an LRP X12 17.5 the roll would most likely be around 50+ to start with.

The SXXSS does require more rpm to make use-able power, for instance, the Tekin RS I ran with an X12 17.5 rolled out at around 77mm, also at -10deg, or 4dot timing.