How to test battery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to test battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 12:26 PM

Default How to test battery?

How can I test a single cell that is good or bad?
Old 06-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi,

A Pro Trak can very easily give you the info to determine if you have a faulty cell within a pack. It will also do this while it is in the pack so you do not have to desolder.

If you look at the attachment, this is a 4 cell pack which I have generated labels for with my Pro Trak attached to my PC. Any bad cell will be reflected in the data for that cell, the average volts would be low or the discharge capacity low and or the match for that cell within that pack will be off.

A good indicator of a bad cell is that it heats more than others but the Pro Trak give the data to confirm your suspicions.
Attached Thumbnails How to test battery?-img_2229.jpg  
Old 06-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

crimson eagle:

Is there a US Distributor for Pro-Trak?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

That would be me Leadfoot, shameless self promotion I know, but this is a great way to get the word out.

I moved to the US about 4 years ago from England. I know the man who manufactures the units, I raced with him for years. Around Christmas time just gone I offered him my services as the US market is fairly oblivious to Pro Trak products even though in some areas of England 50% of the drivers use his equipment. So now I do sales repair upgrade anything you need for Pro Trak. And it's a great opportunity for both of us. He doesn't deal with model shops, if he did the cost to the customer would double and he would not sell his products.

Sorry about the life story but a little background sometimes helps. There is a pro trak thread if you want to do some more reading.

Chris.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

crimson eagle:

My brother and I are actually from Italy but live in the USA. We have family all over Europe and we know about the Pro Trak. It just was not something we wanted to purchase if there was no state side support.

Is the 30A version available yet?

Do I purchase from you, or from the web site?

Also, one feature I would like to see which would probably be easy to do in the ROM is the following:

For Ni-MH batteries, after the charge is complete do one of the following:

Have a count down timer and if the battery is still there repeak automatically. Otherwise, monitor the charge and if drops below a threshold, repeak.

Also, always wished the motor break in feature was standard with the charger.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Leadfoot,

The 30A version will be available around the end of July.

Yes you can purchase from me directly, will be slightly cheaper.

I'll your suggestions back to the Phil maybe it's something he could think about in the future.

Any other questions, just let me know.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by crimson eagle
Hi Leadfoot,

The 30A version will be available around the end of July.

Yes you can purchase from me directly, will be slightly cheaper.

I'll your suggestions back to the Phil maybe it's something he could think about in the future.

Any other questions, just let me know.
I checked the website and if I did the math right it's 215 pounds for the 20 amp version with means 400 US dollars.... Is that right?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

It Changes with the exchange rate, but right now the 20A version is about $396. This is shipped cost to your address and includes tax. The 30A version is about $412 but not available yet.

I do have a used one for sale right now 20A latest software, comes with the temperature detection module and the motor run in unit. This is for sale at $250. + shipping ($15 ish). If anyone is interested I have a pic. This used one has the regular backlight, the new ones have the blue backlight. I will be offering upgrades for this feature soon.