Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What would you like in the NEW Xray car? >

What would you like in the NEW Xray car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you like in the NEW Xray car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The only blocks you ever see on the 416 are 1XA/1E in the rear and 1C/1C up front. You can pick up some 1D blocks to widen out the front, or use the 1D in the rear with 1XA to go to 2.5 deg toe instead of 3. Sounds complicated, doesn't it?

The Tamiya is a sloppy car. I don't bother shimming out the slop though 'cause it seems to work worse when I do. It doesn't have that solid feel you get from an XRay, so I think the perception is that it's cheap.

I don't run an XRay, but I probably would if I hadn't found Tamiya. I'd wish for one anodized a different color, or just not anodized at all. Also, I'd love to see that magical setup that works just about anywhere, as Jilles' 416 setup seems to. It seems like my XRay friends are always fighting setup. Also, I'd rotate the servo.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

1. Rotate the servo
2. Lipo dedicated chassis
3. Black anodizing
4. $420 or less
5. Teflon-coated metal shocks
Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

1/8 scale style rear diff (fluid adjustable) included in the kit would be nice.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Everyone here does know that Xray has their own test track at the factory? Then you should also know that an Xray has gone around that track with aluminum teflon coated shocks, chassis and upper decks in every conceivable configuration, with the same parts made out of aluminum, titanium, and plastics. And if anything made so much as a .1 sec difference it would already be incorporated because nothing suggested so far is either revolutionary or evolutionary. Also I bet there has also been a Tamiya, TOP, HB, and Corally making a few laps on that track as well. Know the enemy.
The things you want to change are the things that make an Xray an Xray. The plastic shocks, the camber links on the shock tower, the composite servo horns, etc. These elements are from the design philosophies of the designers at Xray. And what separates them from the other manufacturers. I own a T3 and except for the idea of a lipo only chassis, I wouldn't change a d==n thing. But I am sure that there will be improved parts incorporated in an update to the T3 at some time, but it will still be inline with what makes an Xray an Xray.

Originally Posted by RCknight
There is a topic started in the Xray home page forums about what they would like to see. Just wondered what people here would like changed. There's so much competition in the TC market right now. This is the place to talk about it.

I would like to see the following;
1.Teflon coated shock bodies.
2.camber links on the bulkheads
3.Go to the current trent of hingepin blocks
4.lipo chassis
5.titanium tierods
6.stronger motor mount
7.no chassis braces on the Europ edition. Flex determined by the thickness, size, shape of the upper deck.
8.ball cups with molded holes in the top of the them
9.aluminum bell crank
10.aluminum server horn.
11. ceramic diff balls
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default So what makes an Xray is...

cheaper quality parts? That is what your are saying? Cheap plastic shocks, non-titanium camber links and plastic servo saver? You didn't help Xray on that comment. When your competition makes these things standard in their kits and charges less, then as a company you have to decide what your company is trying to market.

Originally Posted by Impulse_racer
Everyone here does know that Xray has their own test track at the factory? Then you should also know that an Xray has gone around that track with aluminum teflon coated shocks, chassis and upper decks in every conceivable configuration, with the same parts made out of aluminum, titanium, and plastics. And if anything made so much as a .1 sec difference it would already be incorporated because nothing suggested so far is either revolutionary or evolutionary. Also I bet there has also been a Tamiya, TOP, HB, and Corally making a few laps on that track as well. Know the enemy.
The things you want to change are the things that make an Xray an Xray. The plastic shocks, the camber links on the shock tower, the composite servo horns, etc. These elements are from the design philosophies of the designers at Xray. And what separates them from the other manufacturers. I own a T3 and except for the idea of a lipo only chassis, I wouldn't change a d==n thing. But I am sure that there will be improved parts incorporated in an update to the T3 at some time, but it will still be inline with what makes an Xray an Xray.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default Most everyone agree with the color, yet Xray stands by it...

lol. It reminds me of a pumkin. lol Black would be cool but I would rather polish mine, my 008 was black and chrome. It was sweet and tech looking. Sorry,but the look of your product is a big factor in sales, like it or not. It's marketing. Make it handle great and make it look great = sales. I do think Xray has a big future choice to make with all the competition out there in TC sales. They have to do something to stand out or up the bar.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

cheaper quality parts? That is what your are saying? Cheap plastic shocks, non-titanium camber links and plastic servo saver? You didn't help Xray on that comment. When your competition makes these things standard in their kits and charges less, then as a company you have to decide what your company is trying to market.
the cheaper parts your talking about i have not had a single problem with this whole summer..

1)the shocks you talk about work great for me and are consistent,there not alum or Teflon coated etc dont have titanium coated shafts etc.. guess what they don't leak for me and that means i spend less time working on them..

2)the alum camber links on the car, at 1st i was a little worried about them but after taking some serious hits in 13.5 and 17.5 i would say they work great and don't see the need for Titanium at the moment..

3)what is the need for a Aluminum servo saver? The plastic one works great and if i do ever strip it out while adjusting ackerman its alot cheaper to buy another "plastic" one then Aluminum..

I switched from a HB cyclone to a T3 at the start of the outdoor season, and highly doubt ill go back, btw ive owned a 416WE also..
Old 09-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hurry up Xray and release the new car already so RCknight doesn't start any more of these threads!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default No, I won't start anymore threads. lol

For some reason some folks can't tolerate opinions and the point I'm tring to make. I guess we will have to wait and see what direction Xray takes. I've seen companies try to take short cuts, and I've seen what happends to their popularity when they fail to do what customers want. I've called it everytime.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

For some reason some folks can't tolerate opinions and the point I'm tring to make. I guess we will have to wait and see what direction Xray takes. I've seen companies try to take short cuts, and I've seen what happends to their popularity when they fail to do what customers want. I've called it everytime.
This thread cracks me up and ill have a big whinge becuase looking at the posts you make in various threads, RCKnight, your a whinger.

I've called it everytime.
Get over yourself.

Even if xray did all the things you wanted you would probably say its still too expensive or some crap. Get over it. Xray will not lose any sales over your little quibbles. They have a solid user base and market their goods to their end users very well. There are many racers waiting for the new model regardless of feature because they have had many xray and appreciate the cars for what they are. Lets take a look at what you want

I would like to see the following;
1.Teflon coated shock bodies.
The plastic kit ones are fine if you take the time to learn how to build and service them.

2.camber links on the bulkheads
Why? Current design has many adjustments and why copy someone else for the sake of it. We have std Long and hig adjusters available.

3.Go to the current trend of hinge pin blocks
As mentioned before induce tweak and cost heaps to get full kit.

4.lipo chassis
Your only Valid point imo and is something most uses are expecting

5.titanium tierods
Why? Weight is not an issue and if you can bend hudy spring steel or treated aluminum tie rods you must be doing something amazing.

6.stronger motor mount
Once again why? I have yet to see anyone have this part fail or bend even in severe crashes.

7.no chassis braces on the Euro edition. Flex determined by the thickness, size, shape of the upper deck.
Why? Flex adjustment through screw placement is great. Get a foam deck if you want it stiffer or get a T3R deck or take screws out for more flex.

8.ball cups with molded holes in the top of the them
Option part that is not needed but granted is a nice addition.

9.aluminum bell crank
Why? The steering works fine and aluminum eventually bends on impact

10.aluminum server horn.
Why. As above aluminum eventually bends and the plastic part works fine.

11. ceramic diff balls
Why? Because the TCX has them now? Ceramics are nice but it would add an extra $30 to the kit and the steel ones are sufficient for the average racer.
they are not bullet proof but the average racer does not build diffs often enough anyway.

In summary

Xray plastic is better than anyone's and people will complain its expensive but really, how often do you have to replace it? Not very often. Being able to quickly adjust ackerman for changing track and tyre conditions is amazing so a dual bell crank system imo is useless as you take away a valuable tuning tool becuase you wanted to get rid of a tiny bit of slop that does not really effect the bigger picture that much.

As is the car is far more tunable than any other on the market for the average racer.

Why dont you invest some of your hard earned in some driving lessons so you can take advantage off all the features the car currently has and then come back and compalin.

I bet you are not running around 0.2 cons which means most of the current features and benefits of such a high grade car are wasted anyway.

End Rant.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default Why?

Originally Posted by Benzaah
This thread cracks me up and ill have a big whinge becuase looking at the posts you make in various threads, RCKnight, your a whinger.

Get over yourself.

Even if xray did all the things you wanted you would probably say its still too expensive or some crap. Get over it. Xray will not lose any sales over your little quibbles. They have a solid user base and market their goods to their end users very well. There are many racers waiting for the new model regardless of feature because they have had many xray and appreciate the cars for what they are. Lets take a look at what you want

The plastic kit ones are fine if you take the time to learn how to build and service them.

Why? Current design has many adjustments and why copy someone else for the sake of it. We have std Long and hig adjusters available.

As mentioned before induce tweak and cost heaps to get full kit.

Your only Valid point imo and is something most uses are expecting

Why? Weight is not an issue and if you can bend hudy spring steel or treated aluminum tie rods you must be doing something amazing.

Once again why? I have yet to see anyone have this part fail or bend even in severe crashes.

Why? Flex adjustment through screw placement is great. Get a foam deck if you want it stiffer or get a T3R deck or take screws out for more flex.

Option part that is not needed but granted is a nice addition.

Why? The steering works fine and aluminum eventually bends on impact

Why. As above aluminum eventually bends and the plastic part works fine.

Why? Because the TCX has them now? Ceramics are nice but it would add an extra $30 to the kit and the steel ones are sufficient for the average racer.
they are not bullet proof but the average racer does not build diffs often enough anyway.

In summary

Xray plastic is better than anyone's and people will complain its expensive but really, how often do you have to replace it? Not very often. Being able to quickly adjust ackerman for changing track and tyre conditions is amazing so a dual bell crank system imo is useless as you take away a valuable tuning tool becuase you wanted to get rid of a tiny bit of slop that does not really effect the bigger picture that much.

As is the car is far more tunable than any other on the market for the average racer.

Why dont you invest some of your hard earned in some driving lessons so you can take advantage off all the features the car currently has and then come back and compalin.

I bet you are not running around 0.2 cons which means most of the current features and benefits of such a high grade car are wasted anyway.

End Rant.
Read my post. lol Relax man...no need to get angry.

Last edited by RCknight; 09-14-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No one is getting angry. And your opinions are noted. But aren't you getting all but tarred and feathered by people who Xray has given them exactly what they wanted. A very competitive RC car. It is all a personal choice.
Also be fair, when you open the box on ANY Xray kit, there is not a single part you can say is "cheap".
Also when Paul L says "D==n I would have won that race if I had teflon coated shocks," or Ralph B says "I could have lapped the field, again, if I only had some titanium turnbuckles", then I will side with you that these things are "mandatory" on a premium race car kit.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

This thread is getting out of control and does not make any sense anymore. It needs to be shut down. There is a whole bunch of other threads out there that deal with crazy ass topics.

Suggested improvements to future XRAY cars should be kept on the XRAY Forum of Team XRAY where dedicated XRAY owners can be heard. Creating this thread on RCTech just brings all the XRAY haters out of the woodwork.

You first talked about how great XRAY quality is. Now you are calling the parts cheap. Please stop running an XRAY and go get a Tamiya. That seems to be your agenda.

You also declare that you have limited RC experience, don't own a T3, never raced at a national or world level. How can you make a wish list for the next version if you never ran the latest version?

Don't you think XRAY and their factory team know what they are doing by now and have a little more experience on these requirements?

Let's keep threads dealing with XRAY sensible.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
This thread is getting out of control and does not make any sense anymore. It needs to be shut down. There is a whole bunch of other threads out there that deal with crazy ass topics.

Suggested improvements to future XRAY cars should be kept on the XRAY Forum of Team XRAY where dedicated XRAY owners can be heard. Creating this thread on RCTech just brings all the XRAY haters out of the woodwork.

You first talked about how great XRAY quality is. Now you are calling the parts cheap. Please stop running an XRAY and go get a Tamiya. That seems to be your agenda.

You also declare that you have limited RC experience, don't own a T3, never raced at a national or world level. How can you make a wish list for the next version if you never ran the latest version?

Don't you think XRAY and their factory team know what they are doing by now and have a little more experience on these requirements?

Let's keep threads dealing with XRAY sensible.
So you think people should only be allowed to discuss xray if they already own the latest model and only on xray's own forum on their site and only if they compete regularly in huge tournaments? Seriously?

I don't think this thread is out of control, but you kind of sound like a crazed fanboy. Oh no. Comments about things people would like to see different. Quick, shut down the thread.

LOL
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

I would like to see an gear diff (that doesnt leak) the alloy shocks... thats about it really. Possibly a lipo chassis but only if it retains the flex on the kit chassis atm but more equal left to right. O and FYI xray win on parts quality over tamiya every time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.