Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Every car I've ever owned has been that way. I just adjust EPA until it feels right on the track. There's too many other things to worry about with RC cars.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Erm is there a strap to holddown the lipos or should I use tape? If so whats the part no for the blue tamiya tape?

Oh an will most hardcase liPos fit?

Cheers
Old 12-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Erm is there a strap to holddown the lipos or should I use tape? If so whats the part no for the blue tamiya tape?
Use Tape....

"Xenon" Blue Battery Tape 50m x 17mm - PAT-0222
Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Every car I've ever owned has been that way. I just adjust EPA until it feels right on the track. There's too many other things to worry about with RC cars.
+1... never go by the Hudy setup station.. also go by what the car does on the track.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Agreed on the steering setup... final check always on track with the foot method...

However, one way to reduce the difference as much as possible is put the car on the setup station, and then play with a combination of subtrim and drag link length between the servo and steering. Ideally, the servo horn should be at 90° to the drag link when centred for equal throw, not vertical (hence why the instructions say for the horn to be off centre by 5°).

Then steer left and right with a toe gauge attached to get max left and max right lock. When close by setting subtrim and link length, then go to the EPA adjustment.
By this method, never need more than a couple of percent adjustment on EPA when checked on the track

HiH
Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 12-26-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm looking for a part number for the shock o ring used on the 415/416 (417 ?) I'm assuming they are the same for all three (?).
Thanks.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Blue Sliontec Tape

Originally Posted by jag88
I'm looking for a part number for the shock o ring used on the 415/416 (417 ?) I'm assuming they are the same for all three (?).
Thanks.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stitchy

Thanks again !
Old 12-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Agreed on the steering setup... final check always on track with the foot method...

However, one way to reduce the difference as much as possible is put the car on the setup station, and then play with a combination of subtrim and drag link length between the servo and steering. Ideally, the servo horn should be at 90° to the drag link when centred for equal throw, not vertical (hence why the instructions say for the horn to be off centre by 5°).

Then steer left and right with a toe gauge attached to get max left and max right lock. When close by setting subtrim and link length, then go to the EPA adjustment.
By this method, never need more than a couple of percent adjustment on EPA when checked on the track

HiH
Ed
ok so your saying it should be straight up and down or 5 degrees tword the center??
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Morbo
Thanks Ed! I gots lots to learn on this subject!

"To set them, slowly compress either arm as you watch the other to see the amount of free play before the opposite arm rises. More than likely, one side will have more free play than the other so you want to adjust the length of the linkage rods accordingly until the amount of free play is equal. You can also adjust the free play on the sway bar mounts as well by rotating the sway bar clips enough to reduce slop."

Not sure I full understand how this part works. How do you measure accurately the "free play?" And so if one side has more free play than the other, what do you do to the turnbuckles? Finally, "rotating the sway bar clips?" Whazzat?
Here is the Tamiya article that David wrote, complete with pictures:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=413
Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
I donno if others noticed this, but I find the Sliontec tape (ie TOP Racing packaged) to separate easily between the top coloured layer and the actual fiber strand adhesive below it.

Everytime I peel a new piece, the first cm of tape would be messed up if I dont fold a tab on a previous cut. Same for removal, strands get torn off and stays on the surface if you dont fold a tab on the ends. (Although i always do anyways, its just nice if the tape doesnt do that)

Does anyone know of an alternative that doesnt do this?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
If the steering bridge is binding, you didn't use enough shims. Look at the manual again... You use 2 different shims, and multiple of each
Man, even after reading this twice I still missed it.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard

HiH
Ed
Good advice - this is exactly the way to do it. I'm at epa 114L/115R car needs little or no adjustment on track
Old 12-27-2010, 03:14 AM
Tech Regular

I tend to leave my battery in the car for long periods. Just charge it in the car between heats. So, on my last car, I used Parma double sided servo tape to attach the battery to the chassis. This is the clear gooey stuff that is easy to remove. I never had an issue with the battery shifting or coming lose and it allows enough movement that it doesn't noticeable effect chassis flex. When you do need to remove the battery for maintenance, it removes cleanly. Give it a try.

I don't recommend you do this if you change batteries often though.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=395&id=872
Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mickrcarver
ok so your saying it should be straight up and down or 5 degrees tword the center??
It should be 5° towards the centre of the car. Making a 90° angle with the link.
Have a look at this link, Hara's build guide to the cyclone. Want to achieve the same effect on the 417 when the link is in the centre, but due to the steering setup, need to cant the servo horn into the centre of the car.

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/...yclone03.htm#2

HiH
Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.