Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree120Likes

TAMIYA M-06 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

I finally broke my rear tower holder too Someone mentioned that my raer camber was way off. When I took a look the plastic was snapped in the middle between the ball ends. I can see now why people were asking for a stronger part with less flex.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Hey guys, a couple of quick questions here. Where can I get a ball diff for my MO6? is the part number 54194? and do you really need to run the universal set that Tamiya says you should run when you install the ball diff. The course I run on at my local track is tight and technical and my car is diffing out on the sweepers and the 180's. Thanks for any help.

Ken

Last edited by MUDVAYNE; 10-09-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: wrong part number
Old 10-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Actually you´re right,
I had a look and Tamiya really recommends the M05/M06 Ball Diff only with Universals!
If you want to go cheaper, M03 Ball diff (Manta ray) is just fine.
Mine is lasting very long now, built with AW grease and works still really smooth after probably 40 battery runs. Just tightened it 2 times slightly due to run in.
Unfortunately I just ruined the thread now somehow and need a new back plate.
So I will again give the 3 Racing oil gear diff another try...

In general I learned on this car, that the diff function is very much connected to the rest off the setup. Even rather small changes on the diff can have big influence on 180° corners both on turn in and traction out of corners.

BR,
Matthias
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

The out drives on the M05 ball diff are larger and you need to use the plastic blade adaptors on the dog bones to fit. These comes with the universals. The advantage of the M05 diff is that it is adjustable inside the car. The M03 diff you have to open the gearbox to adjust it. Although I also have the 3Racing gear diff, it is very nice and I would use that, but our local rules here only allow Tamiya gear parts. It has larger outdrives, but it comes with the plastic outdrive blade adaptors. It doesn't come with the bearings though. Being rear wheel drive you can adjust the diff to tune how your car handles. On the M03/5 they just want a really tight diff/spool. If you had that on the M06 you would spin out on every corner.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Everything explained by Madulla, I would say!

@Madulla: When running the 3Racing diff, how do you built it up?
Leave out 2 shims, maybe? Any recommendation on the oil?

From my first use, I guess mine was still too locked. I had problems on a large high speed curve simply spinning out at full speed at the middle of the curve, nearly 6 meters after turning in.
Run the same track before with ball diff a month ago without problem...

BR,
Matthias
Old 10-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

http://os.3racing.hk/articles.php?articles_key=133

I make mine pretty much the same way. I used Mugen 2000 to start. Was happy with it on med-high grip carpet. Using a 2200kv brushless. Could have tried a little higher 3000-5000... but switched to the M05 ball diff to bring my car up to tech.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Has anyone here experienced a tweaked MO6? I installed the gear diff and universals yesterday and now it turns great to the right, but pushes like a dum p truck to the left. I also am pretty sure I installed the diff backwards as the diff nut is on the left side (motor side) and the dodbone seems to be right against it. Would having the diff in wrong cause it to push like that in a turn, or have I reassembled something wrong?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Has anyone here experienced a tweaked MO6? I installed the gear diff and universals yesterday and now it turns great to the right, but pushes like a dum p truck to the left. I also am pretty sure I installed the diff backwards as the diff nut is on the left side (motor side) and the dodbone seems to be right against it. Would having the diff in wrong cause it to push like that in a turn, or have I reassembled something wrong?
The diff screw is on the wrong side. The diff halves are different and the screw goes on a specific side
Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default rear hub carriers

I am trying to find some decently price'd rear hub carriers,...with out using pay pal. I really dont want to pay $40 for the Tamiya brand,any leads on a set would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 AM
Tech Adept

Dont know if anyone else has had this problem. I am getting a grinding/rubbing noise coming from the transmission. I have checked/cleaned the diff and spur and idler gears but this has not cured it. When new the car was fine but has recently started and getting worse. I am running kit gears and 20t pinion (Tamiya) and there is no sign of rubbing inside the housing. Any ideas to try guys please ?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Monkeys punk
Dont know if anyone else has had this problem. I am getting a grinding/rubbing noise coming from the transmission. I have checked/cleaned the diff and spur and idler gears but this has not cured it. When new the car was fine but has recently started and getting worse. I am running kit gears and 20t pinion (Tamiya) and there is no sign of rubbing inside the housing. Any ideas to try guys please ?
Are you using the stock pinion? Its soft and wears out which screws up the plastic gear. Check and see the profile of the pinion if it's pointy/sharp. It's best to get a hardened pinion from Tamiya or Robinson Racing's "metric .6 module" pinions.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Looking for a little help.

I have been trying to set up my 06 for carpet racing. Car seems a little squirrelly whenever I need to get off the throttle. Rear end looses traction, the rear end wants to come around at half throttle. 3/4 to full power the car feels okay.

Is this the characteristics of the rear wheel drive or can it be corrected

My current set up:

- Carpet -

Front -
Blue spring
60wt - 2 hole piston
Stock shock mounting
Spec tires - outside tread glued
2 degrees camber (stock)
0 degree toe (approx)

Rear -
Yellow spring
40wt - 2 hole piston
Middle shock mounting
Spec tires
1 degree camber
2 degree toe in

Gear diff, very loose.

No sway bars.

Usually run an 03, talk about apples and oranges.

Thanks

Last edited by CSeils; 10-26-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

The fastest carpet M06 I saw ran the very soft original Tamiya fluorescent springs...car was planted everywhere. I forget but I think it was yellow front red rear with 3 hole pistons. But yes, on throttle the RWD cars are better than off throttle (except low speed where they are beasts).
Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
The fastest carpet M06 I saw ran the very soft original Tamiya fluorescent springs...car was planted everywhere.
all around or just in the rear?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Could somebody tell me if this car fits Ride Subaru Impreza, please?

Best regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.