Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree120Likes

TAMIYA M-06 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HugoW
To a certain extend it is, it does crush my ego. I was offered a set of wheels and M-grip tires by a local driver with M-06 experience, and I refused, 'cause I thought S-s would grip better. That was pretty stupid of me, in heignsite, he knew the track and the car. Anyway...

I have ordered a stack of rims, tires and inserts, which unfortunately are stuck in shipment somewhere. They will arrive... I want to make:
Two H-grips with soft inserts,
Two H-grips with hard inserts,
Two M-grips with soft inserts,
Two M-grips with hard inserts,
Two S-grips with soft inserts,
Two S-grips with hard inserts,
Since most set-ups I have seen / read about use different front to rear combinations, the set above should make me a nice lot to chose from.

I don't understand that comment. I speak German, too, if that's easier.

Yeah, I figured that. But first we need to get the tires sorted.

I will keep track of all changes, and make one at a time. And I might listen to local drivers when they give advise and offer help next time... Next possibility to go to this track is December 7th. So if Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet don't kidnap me and take me away to Spain, that will probably be the next test.

Cheers,

Hugo
Hugo,
sounds like a good plan! By laying down I meant fix the shock on the upper end at the inside hole of the 3 in the rear shock tower.
Keen on your experiences in Decembre, I think you have to quit Spain!
Too much to test on the M06...

Greets from Germany,
Matthias
Old 11-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Well, a bit of progress on the M-06. I put the ESC in the original position and lengthened the wiring:

The motor and the wiring received gold plugs so I can easily change to the race motor. The wiring clears the stabiliser by half a millilemeter... Thats enough.

I just took the car out on a tarmac skate track near my house. With the kit tires, H grips front and S grips rare. It is not a clean high grip track, but it is tarmac and not slippery carpet. It has grip! Not a lot, yet, it's not perfect, but I can power the car out of a corner without the car swapping ends. I'm happy!

Hugo

Last edited by HugoW; 11-20-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Tech Regular

About weight and balance; I read the 6 is sensitive to imbalance. I have a very light servo and with the ESC in the original place, the car is out of balance. I also have a heavy servo. Is balance more important than saving 30 grams?

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The battery seems to be in forward position. I would test it out in the middle and all the way in the back.

Left / Right balance: Im running a short servo on right, so I ended up adding led weight side of servo to balance the car.

After each race check your camber settings. Until you get the handling down, most likely you will hit something.. which will change your camber settings.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Hugo,
sounds like a good plan! By laying down I meant fix the shock on the upper end at the inside hole of the 3 in the rear shock tower.
Keen on your experiences in Decembre, I think you have to quit Spain!
Too much to test on the M06...

Greets from Germany,
Matthias
Hi Matthias,

thanks. I cannot get the shocks more inward than the middle hole. Did you by any chance fit these:

That would make reaching the inner hole easer. Or did you grid something to gain clearance?

@Raman; thanks for the advise. I have made foam blocks to place the battery front, middle or back. I might relocate the Tx to the right, so it together with the servo better counterbalances the ESC. Should be pretty close.

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 11-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

BTW, I think the alloy rear knuckles are way to expensive. So I tried and succeeded in fitting the front knuckles in the rear as well. I bolted the steering arms to the chassis, so I can adjust the the toe-in. Slight problem; the shocks don't fit anymore… So I built everything back…

Hugo
Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

BTW, I think the alloy rear knuckles are way to expensive. So I tried and succeeded in fitting the front knuckles in the rear as well. I bolted the steering arms to the chassis, so I can adjust the the toe-in. Slight problem; the shocks don't fit anymore… So I built everything back…

Hugo
Haha, sounds funny Hugo!
But I didnīt catch your intention, the front alloy ones are as expensive as the rear!
I use 3 Racing in the front, very good so far and very cheap. Rears I have the red ones with the clamp weights, which were the expensivest, because I bought a complete R-Kit back in the day!

Regarding balancing, I did never really check mine, because it feels same left and right. I just tried to put the electronics quite equal, receiver in front of the battery, Transponder and ESC on the left balancing the Savöx 1251MG, which is slightly heavier than a cheap std. Servo.
But take off weight doesnīt stop the M06, I saw some really heavy ones with additional weights of 30-40gr. It seems to need the weight, to get all the traction down...
Here some pics from my steering setup and my new R1 fan, which helps to keep motor temperature down with the speed gears. Great fan, by the way.
Tomorrow is race day again, it will be fun!

Br,
Matthias
Attached Thumbnails TAMIYA M-06 Thread-mini00014.jpg   TAMIYA M-06 Thread-mini00016.jpg   TAMIYA M-06 Thread-mini00017.jpg  
Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

Laugh at the idea all you want, I just fiddled a bit again and I think I can get it sorted, adjustable toe using front suspension parts in the rear. I like it. Racing Tamiya Cup I cannot use 3racing stuff, although it is tempting. Nice M you've got! Do you know the toe in setting of your special red racing rear knuckles? Standard or a little less?

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 11-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=HugoW;13672760]Hi Matthias,

thanks. I cannot get the shocks more inward than the middle hole. Did you by any chance fit these:

That would make reaching the inner hole easer. Or did you grid something to gain clearance?

As far as I remember, reaching the inner hole was possible on the Pro with CVA and TRF shocks. Maybe you donīt have fixed the shocks on the knuckle pin?
Still on the wishbone?
If yes, you need Tamiya 51436. Maybe this is not included in a std. M06.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, still on the wishbone, so I need the axles unless I get my own conversion to work. BTW, I saw 3racing does rear knuckles, I cannot find specs on them. I would like to try them and if I like the driving, I might splash out on the Tamiya ones, one set at the right setting.

Hugo
Old 11-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=ruebiracer;13672911]
Hi Matthias,

As far as I remember, reaching the inner hole was possible on the Pro with CVA and TRF shocks. Maybe you donīt have fixed the shocks on the knuckle pin?
Still on the wishbone?
If yes, you need Tamiya 51436. Maybe this is not included in a std. M06.
From looking at your chassis pic, I bet yes!
So you have a much worse ratio from the wheel to the shock, probably another reason, why a copy of Ramans setup did not work. On the R, the rear shock fixation is even some mmīs more outside than on the Pro.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

I forgot you picked up the stock kit. Yes you need that combination suspension / shock ball end. Will assist you in side bite
Old 11-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Laugh at the idea all you want, I just fiddled a bit again and I think I can get it sorted, adjustable toe using front suspension parts in the rear. I like it. Racing Tamiya Cup I cannot use 3racing stuff, although it is tempting. Nice M you've got! Do you know the toe in setting of your special red racing rear knuckles? Standard or a little less?

Cheers,

Hugo
Thanks Hugo,
the M06 is a real baby of mine, so it got some love and parts since 2011.
But the chassis itself is still my Pro, as the color of the R-Kit was not so beautiful in my eyes...
The knuckles are 2° like the serial plastic ones, just an additional hole on the upper side. They just helped me for durability. I killed 2 plastic rear knuckles and 2 front knuckles so far, but since changing to the alloy ones, no issues anymore, although I had some nice crashes...
Old 11-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Thanks Hugo,
the M06 is a real baby of mine, so it got some love and parts since 2011.
But the chassis itself is still my Pro, as the color of the R-Kit was not so beautiful in my eyes...
The knuckles are 2° like the serial plastic ones, just an additional hole on the upper side. They just helped me for durability. I killed 2 plastic rear knuckles and 2 front knuckles so far, but since changing to the alloy ones, no issues anymore, although I had some nice crashes...
The rear I have had the 2.0 and 1.5 in alum for a while now. I didn't want to buy them either but the R spec axle weights will not work on plastic rear hubs.

Tamiya just released the M05 V2 arms in carbon reinforced plastic. Those should be available soon. I had hoped they would update the front C and knuckle to Carbon reinforced plastic or flexible plastic that is used on the arms. The stock plastic is not plastic.. It's peanut brittle lol. Soooo.. I also finally gave in and purchased the front knuckles, in Aluminium.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Do you CA glue the outer edge of both fronts and rears? I noticed in one of your pics it looks like fronts have a bead of CA glue on them(?) Running on high grip carpet. Car is quick but would be a traction roll contest winner. I really have to tiptoe the tighter corners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.