Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can I be competitive with an old car? >

Can I be competitive with an old car?

Can I be competitive with an old car?

Reply

Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 119
Questions?? Can I be competitive with an old car?

Can I be competitive with an old car?

I still have my old HPI RS4 Pro2 laying around somewhere. Actually I still have my original RS4, with the belt in front and the 64P version of the Stealth in the back.

Anyway, the Pro2 was as fast as anything else before I quit racing. Then all the shaft drive cars came along. I was surprised that the shaft drive cars have been replaced by belt drive machines that look almost exactly like my Pro2 that is over ten years old.

You think I could be competitive with a Losi Street Weapon, or a XXX-S, or an AE TC4 ? I know that they are all discontinued, and would probably end up costing me as much as a new kit.

I suppose the reason these cars interest me is because they are all different from what I have run in the past. The newer belt drive cars look exactly like what I used to run in the past.
FrostyDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM
  #2  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Yes, the only question is if you can get parts for it still.
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 119
Default

Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Yes, the only question is if you can get parts for it still.
Excellent, I am going to try and find a Losi Speed Weapon for sale. I will have to try and not crash.
FrostyDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Just keep in mind that you will likely need to fit a lipo battery into it and some of the older cars they won't fit as well.
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY/FL
Posts: 3,378
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Frosty, just my 2cents worth....DO NOT get a street weapon. Thats if you can find one. Don't see many for sale and parts are a pain.
I can definitely suggest the XXX-S though. Then again, I'm a little biased....I own 4 of them and I race 2. One in VTA and 1 in RCGT. Parts are still easy to get and it's still able to put a hurt on newer chassis. Not only that but gobs of information is still available. Setup sheets galore and some great info here on rctech. There's 2 really good threads , 1 regarding mod use and one for stock. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.
Evoracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:55 PM
  #6  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
bjholz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MILWAUKEE
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Man you can be competitive with ANYTHING. It all comes down to electronics and driving skill. You can pick up a TC3 roller for super cheap. And you can still find tons of parts for it.
bjholz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 119
Default

Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Frosty, just my 2cents worth....DO NOT get a street weapon. Thats if you can find one. Don't see many for sale and parts are a pain.
I can definitely suggest the XXX-S though. Then again, I'm a little biased....I own 4 of them and I race 2. One in VTA and 1 in RCGT. Parts are still easy to get and it's still able to put a hurt on newer chassis. Not only that but gobs of information is still available. Setup sheets galore and some great info here on rctech. There's 2 really good threads , 1 regarding mod use and one for stock. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.
Thanks! Any suggestions where I might be able to pick up a XXX-S kit? The replacement parts are plentiful, but I can't seem to find a kit or a used roller.
FrostyDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 119
Default

Originally Posted by bjholz View Post
Man you can be competitive with ANYTHING. It all comes down to electronics and driving skill. You can pick up a TC3 roller for super cheap. And you can still find tons of parts for it.
Is there a big difference between the TC3 and the TC4?
FrostyDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 PM
  #9  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (3)
 
jwq500rc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central CA
Posts: 24
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

You can find the xxxs rollers on ebay all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XXXS-G-LOSI-ROLL...item3a5bfe01a2
jwq500rc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:34 PM
  #10  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
bjholz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MILWAUKEE
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FrostyDude View Post
Is there a big difference between the TC3 and the TC4?
Not enough that you will notice. Tc4 are prolly rpetty cheap too. I have an older Rs4 that I wouldn't race, as it has a FRP chassis. Wayy too flexy.
bjholz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 AM
  #11  
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,980
Default

AE still makes the TC4 as an RTR so the parts are all still available..
Rick Hohwart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:15 PM
  #12  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 119
Default

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
AE still makes the TC4 as an RTR so the parts are all still available..
That is excellent news. Thanks!
FrostyDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM
  #13  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 945
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You could race an older car and never crash, but you will wear out a part, that's where replacing will become a problem.

I don't mean to sound like an ass-hat, but buy something new so you won't have to worry about parts.


Just don't get an Serpent S400
Hyde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 PM
  #14  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 119
Default

Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
You could race an older car and never crash, but you will wear out a part, that's where replacing will become a problem.
Oh I know, I suppose when I break a part I will have to search far and wide to find it. Some of the older cars are so cheap on the used market that I might get several for parts.
FrostyDude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 AM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,100
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FrostyDude View Post
Oh I know, I suppose when I break a part I will have to search far and wide to find it. Some of the older cars are so cheap on the used market that I might get several for parts.
If you like HPI stuff I am about to put up for a sale an HPI pro 4 hara edition.
Jamie Hanson is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service