R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Can I be competitive with an old car? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/408418-can-i-competitive-old-car.html)

FrostyDude 06-15-2010 01:24 PM

Can I be competitive with an old car?

Can I be competitive with an old car?

I still have my old HPI RS4 Pro2 laying around somewhere. Actually I still have my original RS4, with the belt in front and the 64P version of the Stealth in the back.

Anyway, the Pro2 was as fast as anything else before I quit racing. Then all the shaft drive cars came along. I was surprised that the shaft drive cars have been replaced by belt drive machines that look almost exactly like my Pro2 that is over ten years old. :lol:

You think I could be competitive with a Losi Street Weapon, or a XXX-S, or an AE TC4 ? I know that they are all discontinued, and would probably end up costing me as much as a new kit.

I suppose the reason these cars interest me is because they are all different from what I have run in the past. The newer belt drive cars look exactly like what I used to run in the past.

or8ital 06-15-2010 01:31 PM

Yes, the only question is if you can get parts for it still.

FrostyDude 06-15-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by or8ital (Post 7545666)
Yes, the only question is if you can get parts for it still.

Excellent, I am going to try and find a Losi Speed Weapon for sale. I will have to try and not crash. :D

or8ital 06-15-2010 03:18 PM

Just keep in mind that you will likely need to fit a lipo battery into it and some of the older cars they won't fit as well.

Evoracer 06-15-2010 05:38 PM

Frosty, just my 2cents worth....DO NOT get a street weapon. Thats if you can find one. Don't see many for sale and parts are a pain.
I can definitely suggest the XXX-S though. Then again, I'm a little biased....I own 4 of them and I race 2. One in VTA and 1 in RCGT. Parts are still easy to get and it's still able to put a hurt on newer chassis. Not only that but gobs of information is still available. Setup sheets galore and some great info here on rctech. There's 2 really good threads , 1 regarding mod use and one for stock. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.

bjholz 06-15-2010 05:55 PM

Man you can be competitive with ANYTHING. It all comes down to electronics and driving skill. You can pick up a TC3 roller for super cheap. And you can still find tons of parts for it.

FrostyDude 06-15-2010 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 7546585)
Frosty, just my 2cents worth....DO NOT get a street weapon. Thats if you can find one. Don't see many for sale and parts are a pain.
I can definitely suggest the XXX-S though. Then again, I'm a little biased....I own 4 of them and I race 2. One in VTA and 1 in RCGT. Parts are still easy to get and it's still able to put a hurt on newer chassis. Not only that but gobs of information is still available. Setup sheets galore and some great info here on rctech. There's 2 really good threads , 1 regarding mod use and one for stock. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.

Thanks! Any suggestions where I might be able to pick up a XXX-S kit? The replacement parts are plentiful, but I can't seem to find a kit or a used roller.

FrostyDude 06-15-2010 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by bjholz (Post 7546664)
Man you can be competitive with ANYTHING. It all comes down to electronics and driving skill. You can pick up a TC3 roller for super cheap. And you can still find tons of parts for it.

Is there a big difference between the TC3 and the TC4?

jwq500rc 06-15-2010 06:12 PM

You can find the xxxs rollers on ebay all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XXXS-G-LOSI-ROLL...item3a5bfe01a2

bjholz 06-15-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by FrostyDude (Post 7546763)
Is there a big difference between the TC3 and the TC4?

Not enough that you will notice. Tc4 are prolly rpetty cheap too. I have an older Rs4 that I wouldn't race, as it has a FRP chassis. Wayy too flexy.

Rick Hohwart 06-16-2010 08:23 AM

AE still makes the TC4 as an RTR so the parts are all still available..

FrostyDude 06-16-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart (Post 7549307)
AE still makes the TC4 as an RTR so the parts are all still available..

That is excellent news. Thanks! :)

Hyde 06-17-2010 11:41 AM

You could race an older car and never crash, but you will wear out a part, that's where replacing will become a problem.

I don't mean to sound like an ass-hat, but buy something new so you won't have to worry about parts.

Just don't get an Serpent S400 :lol:

FrostyDude 06-17-2010 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 7554623)
You could race an older car and never crash, but you will wear out a part, that's where replacing will become a problem.

Oh I know, I suppose when I break a part I will have to search far and wide to find it. Some of the older cars are so cheap on the used market that I might get several for parts.

Jamie Hanson 06-18-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by FrostyDude (Post 7557066)
Oh I know, I suppose when I break a part I will have to search far and wide to find it. Some of the older cars are so cheap on the used market that I might get several for parts.

If you like HPI stuff I am about to put up for a sale an HPI pro 4 hara edition.