Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R Gear diff review

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Turillo
Can someone be kind enough to post a link where I can purchase the new o-rings, seals and gaskets?

Thanks in advance!
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=821
Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turillo
Can someone be kind enough to post a link where I can purchase the new o-rings, seals and gaskets?

Thanks in advance!
i have them in stock....
Old 11-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Impulse_racer
The 3Racing diff for the Sakura does NOT fit the Xray T3 directly. The inside diameter of the outdrives are too small for the Xray axles, both the spring steel and aluminum ones. I had to use a grinding bit and dremel out the cups so that the axles would slide in and out. Also the 50mm axles are required, which may have already been said. With the stock track width there was binding in the rear suspension using the 52mm aluminum axles but almost none in the front using the 52mm spring steel axles. I could probably add 1mm shims on the suspension holders to slightly increase the track width which would fix the binding, but the would put my track width at 191mm. Also the included 3Racing 38t pulley is larger in diameter than an Xray 38t pulley. You have you use the upper diff mount setting or it will rub the chassis. Even with the included shims there is still a small amount of play side to side, but just a mm or two.
Having said all that, the quality of the parts are nice. Everything fit together easily with tight tolerances. No sanding trying to get something to fit. No leaking and I used a light weight diff fluid for the rear diff. They were smooth from the start and were like butter after a minute or two of running the car on the bench.
Hi,
there is another trick, easier and cheaper on long term : buy the 46mm sakura zero Universal Shaft (not the 44mm).
It's available in steel (SAK-40HD) and alloy (SAK-40), cost less than xray universal shaft, fits the gear diff (part for sakura, like the gear diff), and fits Xray cars.
And the Shaft Cushion are already delivered with the gear diff. If you need more, it's SAK-65C part.

Regarding the play, that's right it needs some more spacers.
By the way, I need more tests, but it looks like the sakura universal shaft looks smoother than the xray ones in front (less vibrations on right and left ends).
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any news on Hotbodies TCX gear diff version ?

thanks !

Pat
Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Kschu,

How is the yokomo gear diff compared to spec r? this will work with a Photon right?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheehtae
Kschu,

How is the yokomo gear diff compared to spec r? this will work with a Photon right?
In case you guys haven't noticed 3 Racing has a gear diff but they will soon release a 39 and 40T housing. I assume this is aimed at Yokomo drivers
Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

what oil do you use in gear diff unsure thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheehtae
Kschu,

My yokomo one doesn't leak all the oil out in one run and it feels smoother. However the yokomo still leaks a little bit. This should work on a photon, as with the photon gear diff we only used one shim on the non pulley side, so you might need to add a shim.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Tried the Spec-R gear diff in my T3 this past Sunday with 1000wt Hotbodies diff lube, what a let down! The track is low traction carpet with not much heat. The T3 with the stock ball diff is planted everywhere on the track but with the gear diff it wanted to spin out in almost every turn. I'll try the gear diff again this Sunday with heavier diff lube but I don't hold out much hope for it. Maybe it will work next summer outdoors on asphalt.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by georgec
Tried the Spec-R gear diff in my T3 this past Sunday with 1000wt Hotbodies diff lube, what a let down! The track is low traction carpet with not much heat. The T3 with the stock ball diff is planted everywhere on the track but with the gear diff it wanted to spin out in almost every turn. I'll try the gear diff again this Sunday with heavier diff lube but I don't hold out much hope for it. Maybe it will work next summer outdoors on asphalt.
No one said it would be easier to drive. If you were spinning out then u where probably digging out so going to a thicker oil is smart. I run 3000cst mugen oil in mine on carpet.

The gear diff on asphalt is much easier to get used to. I think we are all looking for the magic setup on carpet...
Old 11-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

All depends on how you drive. If you throw the car into the corner and unload the inside rear tire then of course it will diff out...

I run 1000 Kyosho and as long as you drive smooth I feel that it's way better than my ball diff.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi !!!

please someone can tell me if you do not mind that kind of grit and grain that is used to sand around the spec-r 416x

Thank you very much
best regards
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me a shop that has a Spec-R Yokomo diff in stock. I have tried all the usual suspects and come up empty. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Sean,

US or overseas? I saw an overseas shop with one left. Interested?

Steve
Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i tried 700cst on carpet, it's work quite well for me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.