Old 11-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

thanks anders.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Carlo, as was posted he was running a new Stratus from Yokomo, type E.......They apparently have several versions of a scaled down Stratus? Not sure how that works, but in the end everyone scrambled for the "better body" (as seems common for major on-road events) and ran one color paint jobs since the stratus E was so much better. But, the Mazda 6 won the race.......hmmmm.... Jim
Old 11-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Jim - Us "On Road Guys " have been running the Mazda 6 for almost a year. It is "THE" asphalt body to run. The Losi guys were trying to unstick the rear of the JRXS all week fo they ran the Yok-E as it generally frees up the rear of any chassis you run it on. Obviously it worked as Losi got 2 cars in the main.

Over all balance wise the Mazda is better as long as the car setup is right.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

OH, ok, alot of "on-road guys" told me at a few races leading up to the worlds that the Mazda had so much steering some couldn't run it...They recommended the Alfa that TeamLosi makes to "lock the car in". Of course none of them knew of the Stratus type E at that time, . Personally, I would think for a "freer" car trimming the rear wing down would make a significant difference without disrupting all that set-up work as much for the particular body.

What do you normally change on your set-up from body to body?....Say, from a Protoform Stratus to a Protoform Mazda?.....thanks, Jim
Old 11-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
Iīm realy impressed by the paintjob and all the fine details on Kinwalls car. Awesome job there. For sure worth to take a picture on
Old 11-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Almost forgot, "Pops" told me that when they first arrived, with a brand new design car, set-up for tight technical tracks as well, they were "way off the pace and hoped for a D main"(He chuckled with that comment of course). Matt, the fastest qualifier for TeamLosi had the Stratus E, i'm told(it did also have his paintjob on it), when they first arrived and always ran that. They did do a tremendous amount of tuning other then the body though. Matt never mentioned trying the Mazda, but i'd assume they did at some point..................Jim, the on-road rookie,
Old 11-22-2004, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Jim - I don't know who you were talking to but don't listen to them anymore. When the Mazda didn't make it on to the first IFMAR approval list everyone freaked. The Mazda was THE body everyone planned to run from day one....except Masami...lol! Steering wise the Mazda and the Yok-E are pretty much the same. However the Yok-E has less rear traction for more rotation mid and exit corner.

As far as setup changes for different bodies...its a two way street. You try bodies to find the one you and your car likes best. If you then make a change in bodies you have to go back and adjust your setup to compensate for the different characteristics of that body....or you just adjust your driving to the new body depending on what you are looking for.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Adrian, cool, i'll be dialed in by the time my new JRX-S arrives, heh heh........I have both bodies painted and ready for my next On-road race, just in case, LOL.......thanks, Jim
Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by AdrianM
Jim - I don't know who you were talking to but don't listen to them anymore. When the Mazda didn't make it on to the first IFMAR approval list everyone freaked. The Mazda was THE body everyone planned to run from day one....except Masami...lol! Steering wise the Mazda and the Yok-E are pretty much the same. However the Yok-E has less rear traction for more rotation mid and exit corner.

As far as setup changes for different bodies...its a two way street. You try bodies to find the one you and your car likes best. If you then make a change in bodies you have to go back and adjust your setup to compensate for the different characteristics of that body....or you just adjust your driving to the new body depending on what you are looking for.
Actually Jim was talking to the right people. The layout used for the warmup gave a more flowing track that did not require braking or exceptional amounts of steering. Moreover it allowed drivers to run front one-ways which already gives much more steering than a front diff or spool. During the warmup event many drivers felt that with a front one-way the Mazda worked best under cooler conditions but that the rear tyres would overheat during hot conditions. During hot conditions the Protoform Stratus 2 was therefore prefered by many.

At the Worlds however the flow of the track was very different. The tight turn at the end of the straight required braking and forced most teams to run spools instead of one-ways. Many teams therefore opted to run more aggressive bodies to compensate for the loss of steering caused by the spool. Mazda 6, Yokomo Stratus E Type and similar aggressive bodies were used as a result.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Heres some more pics that im going to post. Hope u like them.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway-brian-kinwald%5Cs-car-2.jpg  
Old 11-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Heres another
Attached Thumbnails 2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway-david-spashett.jpg  
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

It just getīs worse...
Why?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

I did notice that the Mazda 6 and the Stratus E have a very similar amount of overhang. That is the body material percentage past the rear wheels and front wheels. The Protoform stratus has alot more overhang in the back, vs the Yokomo Stratus (E) which is very similar to the Mazda 6. I guess each racer really just needs to try them all and see which they prefer for thier car, track, set-up, etc.......Good thing, that equals more paintjobs for Winning Edge Designs!!!haha.

J Concepts is now offering a sedan wing that is designed to help with body tuning and eliminate the need to change the entire body. A concept that I think is very helpful. With the importance of the body in high speed on-road racing, why change it entirely to make a small adjustment to the handling........Should be pretty cool to have different wings to try, rather then the entire body and another paintjob, etc. I'm sure we'll have different wings as well as this one before too long!.....Jim
Old 11-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
It just getīs worse...
Why?
I tell you what, from that angle you can really appreciate the details in BK's paintjob.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

Well thanks alot guys. Thanks for the complaments. LOL. I know the pictures are horrible, but there wasnt alot of light in the pits and my camera got out of focus alot. Soz. I know your used to these high quality pics. but oh well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.