2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am in agreement with the limited practice schedule at races. I think all races should be like this, that way we don't have to go in 5 days early. A limited practice schedule lets the racer enjoy himself while at the event. Right now we go to these races and spend 12-14 hours at the track and then spend another couple preparing for the next day. Wouldn't it be nice to practice 3-5 times per day, know exactly when those runs will be, and be able to set a race schedule that allows us a little time to think. In Europe, the races are ran on a much tighter schedule, and obviously by the results of last weekend, this does not seem to slow them (Europeans) down......Example Marc Rheinard.

MF

Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

IN Enduro Karting-Practice is Friday-usually everyone stops around 7 to 8pm -has a nice dinner-you go out with friends you only see at races and back again the next morning bright and early. It seems only in RC racing-like Matt says do you thrash to get out as many times as you can till its so late no restaurants are open, youve got a headache from the fumes and your eyes are bloodshot and burning....

I think Scotty Ernst runs races well and gets people out of the building early. ONe bi reason I cannot wait to do the Novak Race. A sane schedule!!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lostallo looks dialed! Here are a few pics of one of the many tracks in Japan.

Some of those dots are 1/8th scale cars.

Kakegawa Circuit

Seven Cars in a sweeper with lots of room to spare

You can drive the oval part of the track using trim on your steering wheel (set at larger increments of course hehe)
Old 11-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Matt Francis
I am in agreement with the limited practice schedule at races. I think all races should be like this, that way we don't have to go in 5 days early. A limited practice schedule lets the racer enjoy himself while at the event. Right now we go to these races and spend 12-14 hours at the track and then spend another couple preparing for the next day. Wouldn't it be nice to practice 3-5 times per day, know exactly when those runs will be, and be able to set a race schedule that allows us a little time to think. In Europe, the races are ran on a much tighter schedule, and obviously by the results of last weekend, this does not seem to slow them (Europeans) down......Example Marc Rheinard.

MF

Amen!
Old 11-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Matt Francis

MF

Matt - I could not have said it any better.
I think if we limit practice at big races here in the U S, it will be good for everyone, not only will it lower overall cost for hotel rooms and rental cars for the shorter week, but especially for Joe Sportsman Modified Old Dude Truck Stock Modified Guy. There are a lot of people that show up on Thurday to an event such as The Mod Nats, and by that time, all of the open practice is over and this poor fella, who is already at a disadvantage going up against the big dogs, is stuck with 3 T-times to try and get dialed in, while everyone else(mostly the factory guys and people who were fortunate enough to get the time off from work) already have a good 2, 3 or even 4 days of practice on the layout.

Yeah! Them Europeans, as well as the Japanese, definitely have it all dialed in. I mean the complete package. Driver, car,mechanics, you name it they have it nailed down to perfection. That, is the main thing that makes Touring car so much fun for me, the challenge is always what makes something fun, even if it is frustrating at times.

Last edited by Hodapp; 11-05-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ya, i have been the guy that has to show up late to a big event and try to run heats with little or no practice. condensing the races to 3-4 days instead of a week would make big events hectic, but more fair to the general population of racers.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Hodapp
Matt - I could not have said it any better.
I think if we limit practice at big races here in the U S, it will be good for everyone, not only will it lower overall cost for hotel rooms and rental cars for the shorter week, but especially for Joe Sportsman Modified Old Dude Truck Stock Modified Guy. There are a lot of people that show up on Thurday to an event such as The Mod Nats, and by that time, all of the open practice is over and this poor fella, who is already at a disadvantage going up against the big dogs, is stuck with 3 T-times to try and get dialed in, while everyone else(mostly the factory guys and people who were fortunate enough to get the time off from work) already have a good 2, 3 or even 4 days of practice on the layout.
At some point the average GI Joe racer is going to have to come to the realization that at a Worlds Event it's not a hobby, and realistically they have as much of a chance as winning the lottery to place in the top 50%.

Half the thing that hold Factory level events back is that we are worried about some guy that even if he had every part and trick still cannot win....but that's another topic.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

I disagree, I'm from orlando and a lot of guys i know here that aren't factory guys got a chance to race the worlds. It isn't about having a chance to win or even get into the top 50%. It is just the experience of racing the same track and pitting with the best guys in the world.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by Hodapp
[B
I think if we limit practice at big races here in the U S, it will be good for everyone, not only will it lower overall cost for hotel rooms and rental cars for the shorter week, but especially for Joe Sportsman Modified Old Dude Truck Stock Modified Guy. [/B]

I have been hoping for the same for years. I think attendance at ROAR Nats would increase if there was ONLY controlled practice, and LIMITED at that, because of the reasons metioned above. I think that it would also be much more enjoyable for everyone involved.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by T-Money86mcss
I disagree, I'm from orlando and a lot of guys i know here that aren't factory guys got a chance to race the worlds. It isn't about having a chance to win or even get into the top 50%. It is just the experience of racing the same track and pitting with the best guys in the world.
I didn't say the chance of racing, but competing. 3-50 days of practice isn't going to make that much of a difference for the average racer. The WORLDS isn't a club race its where the worlds best drivers are supposed to race.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am for changes as long as it doesn't change right before the event. 3 of the 6 national events I went to this year changed the schedule of practice either a couple of weeks in advance or right during the middle of practice. There is nothing you can adjust to once reservations are made. I would be very pleased if everyone had 6 runs on the track, it always seems though that I get the 6 runs and everyone else has a good 15 or so.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Oscar Jansen
Finally back home again.....

A thank you has to go to Adrian and people from battery Tech, I made their lives to hell Another thank you to all the people who made this event possible after the mess the hurricanes left them! While driving from the hotel to the track, and looking around, you realise how bad it was!

That Marc won already was for me a bit unexpected. I quessed him to be the winner in 2 years. But he did it, 17 years old, with all the pressure of the last A final to 'do the job' and making not a single mistake is just incredible. Never seen before. None of the other A finalist do need to feel bad by being beaten, it was his race. Just another luck it was so hot on finals day, which made the differences a lot smaller, so we had super exciting finals. I could not see any of them, and look forward to the video's being online soon made by our webmaster and Pelle Martin.

I better say nothing about motors and batteries...

Last note, about the layout, it was for all the same. It was not made to suit any car or driver. I was also not happy it was so far of the warm up layout, as it meant all our testing was for nothing. Sure is, the layout was ready the day before the race, and not changed overnight as I have seen in a post. All had to start with a 'clean sheet' and made the best out of it in the few practise runs. This worlds A final included the best of the best, and with 4 qualifiers out of 6 counting the ones who were most consistent fast during 2 days were in that A final.

Last but not least, a big THANK YOU to all my drivers and the people on the back ground, which have made this year an unforgetable one. Without your help and support we would not have made it this far! Its so nice to see you all having fun together, it keeps for sure the team spirit high!

Oscar

Marvelous done Oscar , you sure are a hard working man

Thank you for all the help

And i hope all the nice people got home safe.

Take care all

:-)
Alf Skaar, Norway
Old 11-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

I agree with Matt and Hodap in that there is to much practice at these events. People that race at this level can and should know enough to set the cars up in the few controlled practice sessions allowed by the rules of the event. Having 8 hours of practice for three days usaully wears me out and I want to go home by wed. The week of the nats are to long and practice should be done locally. I would be happy with 4 to 6 controlled sessions as long as the track and the layout has not been run by anyone.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

I have been reading through the last 24 hours contributions, most of which make alot of sense.

From an economics point of view, and also from the physical point of view, Matt and Greg's suggestions about reducing practice make alot of sense. It would mean that everyone starts on an equal footing.

But unfortunately this will never happen. Why? Because so long as you have fixed circuits that are open to the public 24 hours a day you will get drivers practicing 24 hours a day.

I don't blame them of course, but it will always put those who can't afford to be there from weeks before an event at a disadvantage.

Of course I don't know what the solution is. It certainly isn't the IFMAR idea of changing the track between the warm up and the race. That, in my opinion just complicates the matter unnecessarily and makes the warm up an unnecessary expence, as Anders pointed out earlier.

At Worlds level however I would expect teams to be settled in from quite a few days before an event to get as much practice, testing and setting up time as possible, so that when official qualifying begins everybody is ready, and hopefully equal.

Just my 2 cents.

Now can anybody give me a top 20 on FTQ - in other words the 20 fastest races run before the mains. I'm sure it will look very different from the 10 that were in the A mains.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Mabe look at the Full scale racing community. I don't know a single form of racing other that r/c that have that many qualifing rounds. Practices are like 2 hours max, split into two sessions. Testing usualy always happends, but only for the teams that can afford it.

as far as testing(coming to the track early), you can not stop someone from coming to the track early and getting some practice in. But what you can do is the night before qualifing, you can change the layout. And no one can see it untill the morning of quaifing. The only advantage the guy that was there all week will have is knowing how his car changes as the temp rises and lowers, on that asphalt.

Another ideas would be to changes the class system abit. Have a factory class, Only people that have full factory backing can race that class. Then you will have other classes. I need to think about that part more. These other class would consist of people that don't have full factory backing, and most likly would not be there all week practicing. I will explain a little more, latter, need to put more though into it. But an idea. You would have a factory World champion, and a non factory world champion........More thought coming...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.