CEFX 2010 - A new Evolution.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Any news about new steering system?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have my cefx evo conversion kit up on the sale block if anyone is lookin to get in to that ride cheap. Just wanting to trade for the stock photon kit parts . So if ur lookin to get a new photon just to build it to a evo shoot me a pm and i will swap out the parts with u. I even have all the shocktowers/camberlinks/front bumper bracket/fome bumper/ (2) rear belts and a extra motor mount. Chassis is in 99% ment condition only been ran on carpet
Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JamesReilly
Your absolutely correct the “bowing” front to rear doesn’t effect the tweek at all, it does effect is the belt tension and makes it easier for it to come off.
Also it can affect the droop and ride height settings giving an erratic handling car. Most of us ck the droop and camber fairly often so the wheels are off it easy to ck or
I just ck my belt tension if it feels a little loose I know that it’s more then likely a little bowed.

Best Regards,
James
Tried the Car I must say thats 100% True!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Ordered the new chassis. I am currently running original evo chassis. Anything I should change for low traction carpet? My car handles good now. Just looking for a little more corner exit speed.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I guess nobody watches this thread anymore. Is there another place to ask?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingKarate757
I guess nobody watches this thread anymore. Is there another place to ask?
Easy Jamison,
Can you fill out a setup sheet? It's hard to give suggestions on setup without know where you are at now. I have a couple of setups that i need to post, one has crazy steering, and the other is more mellow for a high speed more sweeping track. What tires are you running? Set-up changes work differently for different tires and tire sauce.

LMK,
James
Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default SHOULD I GET ONE

I have a photon that I got near mint second hand - the previous owner built it like a fool and never got to enjoy it. unfortunately they were a tad hamfisted and damaged some threads on the bulkhead where the carbon fibre top link mounts are.

This kind of gives me a possible excuse to get the CEFX.

My questions are these - hopefully Josh may be able to answer them:

1. IS there gonna be any update to the conversion soon?
2. If there are gonna be any updates, are they gonna be retrofittable?
3. Is the steering gonna remain single post or is gonna go with the new 'trend' of being on a rack?

Please let me know - I just don't wanna shell out and find I must conduct an update 5 minutes later.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Front- 45 weight shock oil.
shock mounted on second to outer hole on shock tower.
medium high roll center
front ball diff- just feels smoother on our track
long wheel base
2 degrees camber
silver sway bar

rear- 40 weight shock oil
shock mounted second to inner hole
medium low roll center
ball diff
long wheel base
2 degrees camber
copper sway bar

Tires- Sorex 24's with trinity tire tweak

Is there a set up sheet for cefx?

everything else is how I got it
Old 12-17-2010, 08:48 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Ordered the new chassis. I am currently running original evo chassis. Anything I should change for low traction carpet? My car handles good now. Just looking for a little more corner exit speed.
Hey Kingkarate
1....If you are running ball diff in front..it will alway going to push alittle on power..If you tighten the front diff aliitle more ,it will give more on power steering ..or run the spool...
2...try 6deg hub carrier...it will give you more exit steering ...
3.... reduce the up travel in front droop...
Old 12-18-2010, 01:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by OVA
Hey Kingkarate
1....If you are running ball diff in front..it will alway going to push alittle on power..If you tighten the front diff aliitle more ,it will give more on power steering ..or run the spool...
2...try 6deg hub carrier...it will give you more exit steering ...
3.... reduce the up travel in front droop...
I tried the spool and it was way too edgy or aggressive for my driving. I will try the other suggestions today. Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have had this problem for some time now, and have been looking for a cure.

I'm not absolutely sure, I am not an expert driver, I could be completely wrong, but think the lack of exit traction may have something to do with the weight distribution.

When I measured my Photon and my 416X I noticed that the CEFX is 4mm longer at the back. That is a lot, meaning that a lot of weight has been moved to the front of the car, preventing it from hooking up on the exit. Its losing traction against other cars right from the exit.

When I use my other cars they leap out of the corner but have less exit and mid corner steering which are the CEFX's main strengths.

In January I'm gonna try shortening the rear wheelbase full short and go from there
Old 12-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Front- 45 weight shock oil.
shock mounted on second to outer hole on shock tower.
medium high roll center
front ball diff- just feels smoother on our track
long wheel base
2 degrees camber
silver sway bar

rear- 40 weight shock oil
shock mounted second to inner hole
medium low roll center
ball diff
long wheel base
2 degrees camber
copper sway bar

Tires- Sorex 24's with trinity tire tweak

Is there a set up sheet for cefx?

everything else is how I got it
It looks like the tires are doing all the work, I think that your setup maybe too stiff especially on lower grip. Here are a couple of my latest setups, one that is for tighter tracks has a lot of steering and rotates very well, the 2nd one is for high speed sweeping tracks where the extra rotation was too much.
If you have top arms on the car I would use the number 1 hole in the arm in the front and the number 2 hole in the arm in the rear.

I would try a sorex 32 with these setups, a 24 is really soft and more than likely falls off crazy fast. I've run 28's here as well and they lose .2 tenths after two runs. I would also think that 24's with tweek over heat and I'm just guessing that your car starts good and progressively gets looser towards the end of the run? I would try Jack or Sticky fingers and clean the tires between rounds with wd40 or the what ever tire compound your using.

Also I've tested the tamiya and top suspension alot and found that I prefer the tamiya suspension it has more traction and overall a better feel. The easiest way to get the tamiya suspension without spending a mint, is to use the TA05 short arm suspension kit 54083.
Attached Thumbnails CEFX 2010 - A new Evolution.-msi-setup-tight-layout2.jpg   CEFX 2010 - A new Evolution.-msi-setup-high-speed-layout.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 05:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I believe you are right as far as car falling off. Only issue with that is we have really low traction. Just about everyone thats fast at our track is on some sort of 24, definately no more than a 28. The carpet is going on 8 years old. I will try your suggestions and report back as to how it has helped or not helped. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I am really liking the CEFX Evo. Just got the new chassis today Im gonna do a tire temp test next week and see what tire temps are.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

I believe you are right as far as car falling off. Only issue with that is we have really low traction. Just about everyone thats fast at our track is on some sort of 24, definately no more than a 28. The carpet is going on 8 years old. I will try your suggestions and report back as to how it has helped or not helped. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I am really liking the CEFX Evo. Just got the new chassis today Im gonna do a tire temp test next week and see what tire temps are.
No problem, that makes more sense on such old carpet. But i think that changing to one of those setups should net a lot more mechanical grip. LMK how things go.

Best regards,
James
Old 12-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone having stripped spur gear issues? I have killed 2 64p & a 48p spur gears. I have checked that all screws are tight.
I noticed that the chassis flex and might be the cause of the gear mesh to bind up occasionally.

Anyone have input on this problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.