Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Default FF03 - Steering problem

Hey All,

Well I finally got mine built and painted up, I did the stock Civic Box art colors, simply because the decals lend themselves to this scheme only. I do admit that the car looks good in std trim.

Had some problems with the build, most notably with the diff outdrives. There is a documented build where the builder raised an issue with the diff main bearings being too big for the diff outdrives, and mine was the same. Measured with a digital vernier, I found almost a full mm difference with the bearings being bigger. The entire diff rattled around in the gearbox like a bolt in a bucket. I am sure many people have had this problem and I would venture to say that this is the EXACT reason people have had stripped idlers, and worn diffs. With the stresses put on a badly fitting part would definately cause this. Shame on you Tamiya! Fortunately I ordered the alloy diff and put that in instead....much better, and the gearbox is VERY smooth. I built it dry apart from a little grease between the gearbox halves and on the outdrive bearings to keep dirt at bay.

I tested the car for the first time yesterday and it runs really well, apart from the steering being VERY sharp....I dialled the EPA down to about 60% and still it wants to spin on itself. We have a dusty track sure, but the 4WD cars dont have this problem. The thing can basically spin around in it's own length.
I have a few things to consider before getting frustrated and beating it to death.
1) I did not install the stock servo arm but instead a black hi-torque saver. This would cause a problem of high servo resolution as it is shorter than the stock arm, but being shorter, it should give less travel. I will try and see if the stock arm will fit on the HT assembly.
2) I used 3Racing shocks, and they are slightly longer than the TRF's that I SHOULD HAVE ORDERED in the first place. On the front this means that there is no place to back off the adjuster and decrease ride height. I installed a set of TRF's on the front and all is good. At the rear, the stock setup means that the droop screws are ineffectual becuse the travel is stopped by the shock piston and not the droop screws. I swapped the rear arms over and used the setting sheet as per the TCS winner's setup. I also added the spacers on the control arms, (3mm) on inner and outer mount points.
Blue springs on the front, yellow on the rear.
I have noticed that there is practically NO droop at the rear and this could be a cause of the problem. Because there is so little weight over the rear tires, even with the yellow springs, if you have the ride height set and lift the rear, the wheels come off the ground almost immediately. This is as a result of the shocks bottoming out before the droop screws, which is not supposed to happen.

Is there anyone else who experienced too much steering on the FF03? I am talking mainly about off-throttle turning.

We use Hobbywing 13T motors as they provide decent top-end at FDR's around 6 and are good value for money.

Last edited by sirandy; 11-07-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Saturday fun practice with ff03's.

What's cool? New Prototype Civic body sighting. The body appears solid and stable. Unfortunately the Civic did not have the proper decals so it looked like a prototype which is what it is anyway. Other body we ran are Evo X, Subaru, Nissan Z. Almost everyone was running some sort of brushless system, I think the black Z was running a fast mabuchi. Video is in HD so might take you a bit longer to load than usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d37sR...e_gdata_player

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Anyones want sell their pro FF03,,please PM
I know wrong thread,,sorry
Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

My FF03 With a Golf Tamiya FF03-ff03golf1.jpg
Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Is the Renault Clio FF-03 appliable with 190 mm 4WD touring cars ?
Anyone ?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Anyone ?
I have a Renault Clio body here.

It isw designed to go on the MWB (245mm) version of the FF03 so it would not fit a normal TC with a wheelbase of around 257mm.

Hope that helps
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Tech Master

So that means that there is no way to fit in on an Xray ? Or it will not fit nicely ?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

So that means that there is no way to fit in on an Xray ? Or it will not fit nicely ?

As I said before .. it fits a 245mm wheelbase. If you can shorten your XRAY that far then it will fit otherwise you will be cutting the rear wheel arches in the wrong spot
Old 11-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Need some help guys, I had 2 ff03 diffs come loose this weekend and one of them snaped the bolt after coming loose 5 times. I have gone back 10 pages but no info has others had this problem, also see some are using 416 bolt and nut with alu outdrives, does anyone have the part no and why are you using this.
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

what is the internal drive ratio? (FF03)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
what is the internal drive ratio? (FF03)

Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by charl mac
Need some help guys, I had 2 ff03 diffs come loose this weekend and one of them snaped the bolt after coming loose 5 times. I have gone back 10 pages but no info has others had this problem, also see some are using 416 bolt and nut with alu outdrives, does anyone have the part no and why are you using this.
Thanks.
You haven't gone back far enough.
There is a lot of talk about the diff over many pages.
And yes a good few have had diff problems, including myself until I switched to the Alloy outputs and dumped the dog bones.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TCS Tires...

Does anyone know what tires they are using for the FF03? We are running indoor carpet with medium to high traction. I am looking for TCS approved tires and rims. Part numbers will be a great help. I found the Tamiya #51023 but I'm not sure if these are the right ones or if there are other tires out there.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by eevul
Does anyone know what tires they are using for the FF03? We are running indoor carpet with medium to high traction. I am looking for TCS approved tires and rims. Part numbers will be a great help. I found the Tamiya #51023 but I'm not sure if these are the right ones or if there are other tires out there.

Thanks in advance.
These are the only tires TCS legal for the FF03 class.

http://trackstarrc.com/trackstar/ind...product_id=363

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.