Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:21 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm currently building my FF03 and have only done the gear housing and have already a pretty annoying problem. When I move the steering to the left, it has a normal angle. But when I try to make it turn right, the ball end catches on the swing suspension arm piece. I don't know why it's doing this and have everything seems to be how it is in the instructions. Anyone encountered this problem and know how to fix it? I want to love this chassis, but this is already ruining it for me.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:04 AM
Tech Regular

Do you mean link between suspension arm and damper lever? Check orientation of suspension arm, they have different position on every side
Old 09-27-2018, 02:24 AM
Tech Rookie

It's the interaction between K16 on the steering rack and K11 holding the suspension arms. The steering linkage end hits the bottom of piece K11 on the right side, but turns fine on the left. I've only built up to page 9, instruction 14 so far. I don't know if it's making any sense in text, I just don't know how to describe it on this car lol.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rayquaza
I'm currently building my FF03 and have only done the gear housing and have already a pretty annoying problem. When I move the steering to the left, it has a normal angle. But when I try to make it turn right, the ball end catches on the swing suspension arm piece. I don't know why it's doing this and have everything seems to be how it is in the instructions. Anyone encountered this problem and know how to fix it? I want to love this chassis, but this is already ruining it for me.
You have the bellcrank in upside down. Flip it over, try again. I had the same problem. The difference is subtle, but important.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:09 AM
Tech Rookie

I don't think so? It seems like a one way piece and it's put together like in the instructions. At lease I hope so. I can't post pictures yet but I looked at the instructions and compared the two and they seem identical. I've undone the screws to the suspension bridge thing and testing it out the fitment. It's still binding and I can't work out why for the life of me.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trust me on this one. Flip it over. :-) It had me for a solid half hour when I did it the first time.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Which one though? I can't see flipping the bell crank that goes directly to the servo as I've installed it the way the instructions say to. Could you please post a picture of yours for comparison? I'll post mine when I'm able to.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rayquaza
Which one though? I can't see flipping the bell crank that goes directly to the servo as I've installed it the way the instructions say to. Could you please post a picture of yours for comparison? I'll post mine when I'm able to.
I will try. Yes, the one that goes straight to the servo. I think you need to flip the other one too. I got them upside down for my car too.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

I have the lower part that has the ball end to connect to the arm of the servo facing the right side of the chassis and the left arm has the smooth side facing up.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Trust me on this one. Flip it over. :-) It had me for a solid half hour when I did it the first time.
Good news! I was thinking about what you said here while staring at the bellcrank arm and then it clicked! I took it out and quadrupile checked the instructions and it turns out I obviously DIDN'T install it the right way. I missed the dot that is shown on the bellcrank arm while in the moment and jamming out to music! Thanks heaps for that! I guess I just needed time to understand what you mean by "flip it over" lol. Thank you heaps! I'm sure you've saved me from shelving this build for a while!

The build commences!
Nerobro likes this.

Last edited by Rayquaza; 09-28-2018 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to give thanks
Old 09-30-2018, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys!

A little background...

I've retired from RCing since 2007 (last cars I drove were an HPI Pro4 and Tamiya TA04R) but I'm eager to get back to it. This time not as serious as I was before. I just want something to bash and run on the track once in a while. Not really to race but just to have fun. I still have my FF01 (bought it in '96) in pristine condition displayed on the shelf. With some upgraded parts like the FRP chassis, turnbuckles and universal shaft. I really enjoyed driving an FF chassis but of course, mine is really old now and don't want to break anything on it as parts are very expensive and scarce already.

I was offered an AE TC4 (all-stock new-in-box kit) but I know the parts are hard to find now. I was also contemplating whether to get an HPI RS4 Sport 3 to convert to rally but held my acquisition. Now someone is offering me two FF03 kits (seldom used) at a very good price, $200 for both. One is stock while the other is a pro version. Both for $200. I'm really interested in getting both.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

If your local track is outdoor... you "might' be able to be competitive. Or if you have a FF class around.. Beyond that, they're not likely to keep up.

... now I should go downstairs and install the last aluminum parts I have for my FF03...
Old 10-01-2018, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nerobro
If your local track is outdoor... you "might' be able to be competitive. Or if you have a FF class around.. Beyond that, they're not likely to keep up.

... now I should go downstairs and install the last aluminum parts I have for my FF03...
It's actually more for bashing than racing on a track. Would probably run on the track just for practice in cornering but that's it. I have no intentions of racing again. Serious racing takes too much time and money. I don't want to go back to that anymore. Besides, I have switched to another hobby after on-road racing. Diecast model collection (customization, repaint and modifications) and RC heli (EP 100, 300 & 450 size). I just miss RCing on the road again that's why I want something for bashing and to bring along during free time on out of town trips.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Thinking of getting an ff03 pro and will change to gear diff. Does tamiya make any carbon reinforced arms, hubs,knuckles c-hubs, chassis ? Would any know the part numbers.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by michaels tc
Thinking of getting an ff03 pro and will change to gear diff. Does tamiya make any carbon reinforced arms, hubs,knuckles c-hubs, chassis ? Would any know the part numbers.
The FF03 uses Tamiya's short reversible suspension found on many of Touring Cars. So yes. There are carbon reinforced suspension components available. I personally have upgraded my front suspension to use all carbon reinforced parts. The rear hasn't been upgraded only because I haven't broken anything on the rear end. I am sorry I don't have any part numbers.

I still have yet to put my gear diff in. But I am looking forward to the car with some solid acceleration. Traction being the only real hindering factor of the car.
Nicadrauspro4 and Nerobro like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.