Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB-Evolution IV >

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Reply

Old 08-12-2004, 07:49 AM
  #1066  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
F. Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,141
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Oh it doesn't make the stiffness THAT bad, not enough to harm it too bad. But it really does pinch the bearings a lot. so much so that the front right wheel won't free wheel(has a one way in the front) with it tightened up. I do think its better to have it a little bit looser because of the efficiency, but have any other Evo IV owners had that problem, or know of any fixes to it??
F. Alonso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:33 AM
  #1067  
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Originally posted by F. Alonso
Oh it doesn't make the stiffness THAT bad, not enough to harm it too bad. But it really does pinch the bearings a lot. so much so that the front right wheel won't free wheel(has a one way in the front) with it tightened up. I do think its better to have it a little bit looser because of the efficiency, but have any other Evo IV owners had that problem, or know of any fixes to it??
if your gearbox pinches your bearing then you need to re-build it--something is off. there was an article in one of the japanese rc magazines devoted to talking about building the evo4 and made special note about how important to build the gear box right.

is your rear gearbox binding? if not then why should the front? i tighten my screws as tight as possible and the drivetrain is very free.
jeffreylin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:37 AM
  #1068  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
rtypec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,975
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
I don`t think that you will see any picks of DJ`s EVO4 to many secret/special parts that were being tested..??... Just a wild guess Hey Rod you can ring in here any time now
-Dave
In a Dave Chapelle voice, "I plead da Fif, Fizzy, Fufizzle!"

The Evo4 was very good at the KO race. I certainly hoped to have done better but for the most part, we were all having fun. I only finished one qualifier and one main mostly electronic issues/wrong tire inserts. Hara spanked me with runs-complete/highest finish, he finished one qualifier and two mains and got 2nd hehe.
rtypec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:05 AM
  #1069  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somewhere on earth
Posts: 927
Default

Originally posted by jeffreylin
if your gearbox pinches your bearing then you need to re-build it--something is off. there was an article in one of the japanese rc magazines devoted to talking about building the evo4 and made special note about how important to build the gear box right.

is your rear gearbox binding? if not then why should the front? i tighten my screws as tight as possible and the drivetrain is very free.
I second that, if when you tighten the gearbox tops the bearings start to bind up then you have some quite major issues in there. Rick
Rick Draper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:36 PM
  #1070  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JDM_DOHC_SiR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 9,070
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by rtypec
In a Dave Chapelle voice, "I plead da Fif, Fizzy, Fufizzle!"


-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:42 PM
  #1071  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
F. Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,141
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Hmmmmm, I can tighten up the rear to the max and its not a problem. If I tighten up the front, it binds the whole drivetrain up. So much so that without the motor attached, the rear diff will work as if there is a motor attached!! So I am a little bit stunned by this. What does happen without the top gearbox cover attached is the driveshaft will move in the upwards direction at a certain part of the rotation of the wheels. I'm not entirely sure why this is the case. It's very bizarre. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have built quite a few winning cars in the past without a hitch but this does seem to be something quite weird. I might take the front of the car off and have a play and see if I can come up with a reason.
F. Alonso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:01 PM
  #1072  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JDM_DOHC_SiR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 9,070
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Wink EVO4 knuckle to Pro4




It works and very little difference in ackerman change on a side note the HPI knuckle is a bit smaller by .6mm so you have to add a shim to get some of the play out.. and the Dogbones are a direct fit.. also the rear hub works fine too
also one more thin to take not of the HPI pins for the hubs are 2.5mm for hpi and 2.6mm for the Tamiya ones
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:08 PM
  #1073  
Tech Master
 
Tek Nickal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,301
Default

Don't you mean Pro 4 knuckle to Evo 4?

I was at All speed hobbies today and I saw some Evo 4s for sale, if anyone's interested, drop by:

Allspeedhobbies.com
Tek Nickal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:29 PM
  #1074  
V12
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
V12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: EVO4 knuckle to Pro4

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
It works and very little difference in ackerman change on a side note the HPI knuckle is a bit smaller by .6mm so you have to add a shim to get some of the play out.. and the Dogbones are a direct fit.. also the rear hub works fine too
also one more thin to take not of the HPI pins for the hubs are 2.5mm for hpi and 2.6mm for the Tamiya ones
-Dave
I have some Square Pro4 rear uprights here but I think they should work different as the rollcenter is different. Even the positions for the ball studs are different. So how feels the Pro4 parts on the track?
V12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:04 PM
  #1075  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
moshmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Trackside, Wisconsin/Seal Bay Alaska
Posts: 809
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Hi guys! I haven't read all of the thread but was wondering if any one knows if the evo4 alum one way gear will work on the evo3 one way. Haven't got a 4 yet...waiting for a hopped up version, hopefully! Thanks!
moshmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:35 PM
  #1076  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
Turbonium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,302
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

i dont think so... different tooth count, as i remember...
Turbonium is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:55 PM
  #1077  
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Originally posted by moshmike
Hi guys! I haven't read all of the thread but was wondering if any one knows if the evo4 alum one way gear will work on the evo3 one way. Haven't got a 4 yet...waiting for a hopped up version, hopefully! Thanks!
Nope, the pitch is different and won't fit.
jeffreylin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:04 AM
  #1078  
Tech Regular
 
EVOtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kent
Posts: 331
Default

Originally posted by jeffreylin
Nope, the pitch is different and won't fit.
If that's correct, howcome an EVO3 balldiff works fine in the front?
EVOtech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:18 AM
  #1079  
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Originally posted by EVOtech
If that's correct, howcome an EVO3 balldiff works fine in the front?
Looks like I was wrong there. I just checked and the diff gears are the same albeit made of different material and thicker. The bevel gears are different though. So I guess the alumnium one way gear might work if the gears can mesh properly.
jeffreylin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:18 AM
  #1080  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose California
Posts: 1,251
Default

Originally posted by AzNDRAGster
Don't you mean Pro 4 knuckle to Evo 4?
WTF are you talking about....Thats a blue Pro4!

Will the C-Hubs and the arms work too? Thinking of upgrading to the new suspension via buying Pro4 parts

BTW: If you switch to a metal one-way ring gear in the Evo3 without anything else...Youre gonna mangle an unbeleivable amount of crown gears
The Black Kat is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service