Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Copperhead/RR

I ran the copperhead this weekend on a outdoor asphalt track. The car is pretty good, I cant really complain. I think the RR is more planted in the rear that the RR. The car still has all the stuff I like from RR accept for the planted feel. But I guess in order to go fast you have a be loose. It is not loose to the point you cat drive it. It is just a little less traction than the RR kit. Over all I like both, I guess I better go race more so I can keep using both. I had two RR kits so I just bought the conversion kit but the new colors are growing on me so I guess I will have to go get the whole kit now. VERY well done Jason!!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker1
I ran the copperhead this weekend on a outdoor asphalt track. The car is pretty good, I cant really complain. I think the RR is more planted in the rear that the RR. The car still has all the stuff I like from RR accept for the planted feel. But I guess in order to go fast you have a be loose. It is not loose to the point you cat drive it. It is just a little less traction than the RR kit. Over all I like both, I guess I better go race more so I can keep using both. I had two RR kits so I just bought the conversion kit but the new colors are growing on me so I guess I will have to go get the whole kit now. VERY well done Jason!!
Thanks buddy. Im glad you like it. We did make the car a little less planted in the rear as alot of people wanted to see the car with less rear bite. The car does rotate better than the RR also so it is a mix of both. If you want to add a little more rear traction, remove the front screw in the flex plate pivot ball housing. This will soften the spring rate an pick up a little rear bite. hth
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by protc3
Thanks buddy. Im glad you like it. We did make the car a little less planted in the rear as alot of people wanted to see the car with less rear bite. The car does rotate better than the RR also so it is a mix of both. If you want to add a little more rear traction, remove the front screw in the flex plate pivot ball housing. This will soften the spring rate an pick up a little rear bite. hth
If I take out that screw than will the rear pod only be held on from the two side flex plates?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by hacker1
If I take out that screw than will the rear pod only be held on from the two side flex plates?
Not the center pivot buddy, the ones on the flex plates. The forward hole on the small housing. It is one of the holes that threads into the flex plate. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Lord

btw guys, the new front end is not all cluttered with oversized shocks and springs. It is an actual scaled, clean setup with the BMI twist. Spring rates are fully adjustable and easy to adjust. Just so none of you get concerned.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Umm, the strut front end is independant also. There is no rule against double wishbone front ends.
Some people get confused because of the WGT rules which states:

1) Suspension
a) Front End must be “sliding king pin style”. No independent A-Arms.

This does NOT apply to 1/12th though
Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Lord

ahh, i see. That is strange. That must have slid by me when the rules were being agreed upon. For world GT at the big races people can stick with the stock front end until that rule changes. It wont be long before the strut front end is a thing of the past.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Lord

ahh, i see. That is strange. That must have slid by me when the rules were being agreed upon. For world GT at the big races people can stick with the stock front end until that rule changes. It wont be long before the strut front end is a thing of the past.
Yep, I am sure that as soon as independent systems become more widely available, the rule will probably change.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

That sliding kingpin rule is only applied for ROAR races, IFMAR & EFRA do not have this rule. That is why Yokomo could drive with the new front end at the worlds. The worlds are driven on IFMAR rules, not ROAR...
Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Hey Buddy

Jason
I still have my RR; freshly built and un-raced I've been back racing for a month now and want to upgrade the car already But I want to run with a 1S lipo. Should I get the 1S conversion kit for the RR or just get the Copperhead. Or can I retrofit a 1S lipo on the RR's chassis? With all the reading here, I like the planted rearend on the DubR. Rotation ....I can find that. Just trying to be more economical. What do you suggest brah?

Can't wait for this new frontend though ...
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Lord

Im not very concerned. Im not going to develope a strut front end when they are not an ideal suspension for high end racing cars. They just dont use them. I wont either. I used them because that is what was available. When i develope products, it is with the best possible performance in mind. I wont just follow trends, I set them. I have been working on this for close to a year now. I havent been able to finish it sooner due to the other side of my company being very busy but i have alot of time invested and it shows in the end result. You guys will be pleased.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Joost K.
That sliding kingpin rule is only applied for ROAR races, IFMAR & EFRA do not have this rule. That is why Yokomo could drive with the new front end at the worlds. The worlds are driven on IFMAR rules, not ROAR...
ROAR doesn't have a sliding kingpin rule...non-ROAR WGT has one.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JayBee
Jason
I still have my RR; freshly built and un-raced I've been back racing for a month now and want to upgrade the car already But I want to run with a 1S lipo. Should I get the 1S conversion kit for the RR or just get the Copperhead. Or can I retrofit a 1S lipo on the RR's chassis? With all the reading here, I like the planted rearend on the DubR. Rotation ....I can find that. Just trying to be more economical. What do you suggest brah?

Can't wait for this new frontend though ...
You can just get the LiPo chassis for the RR and save money bro. You can always upgrade to the copperhead later on. The new front end will fit either car.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
ROAR doesn't have a sliding kingpin rule...non-ROAR WGT has one.
Okay, so that applies only for WGT then?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Joost K.
Okay, so that applies only for WGT then?
Yes. There has NEVER been a rule against it for 1/12th and has been done before, both in ROAR and IFMAR/EFRA. The rule I posted is ONLY for WGT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.