Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent S100 World GT Chassis!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Its strange to me that so many setups show using the 0 degree front caster blocks. The car seems so twitch and edgy with the 0 degree. The 6 and 9 degree blocks really seem to make the car much smoother and easier to drive.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alain Patry
Do you have some pics of the world Gt race at the Snowbirds 2011 ?

Thank you, Alain.
+1.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
I see that Markus Mobers is in the Snowbirds WGT Amain. Looking forward to some comments on his setup. One point of interest is 1s battery and electronics layout for weight distribution.

i think the ESC is missing from this picture on Serpent's website?
I have my battery all the way forward almost hitting the servo. It is right at the tape slot in the front, I used the battery holder for the front underneath the top deck posts . I then added 3mm of shims to the rear for the top deck posts. I also redrilled the chassi so I can use a battery holder in the rear but it not needed. My speedo is behind my battery in the center of the car, receiver pack on the right and receiver and transponder on the left. Depending on what electronics you use you might need to add some weight to balance it out but not much. I also moved my center shock to the hole on the bottom of the tower instead of one hole up because of the raised top deck.

Hope this helps. I'd take a picture but Shmyka has my car
Old 02-15-2011, 07:22 AM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chicky03
I have my battery all the way forward almost hitting the servo. It is right at the tape slot in the front, I used the battery holder for the front underneath the top deck posts . I then added 3mm of shims to the rear for the top deck posts. I also redrilled the chassi so I can use a battery holder in the rear but it not needed. My speedo is behind my battery in the center of the car, receiver pack on the right and receiver and transponder on the left. Depending on what electronics you use you might need to add some weight to balance it out but not much. I also moved my center shock to the hole on the bottom of the tower instead of one hole up because of the raised top deck.

Hope this helps. I'd take a picture but Shmyka has my car
thanks, that is how mine is arranged.

i have seen some other cars at my local track with the battery all forward and the electronics midship. more forward weight bias seems all the rage, so i was curious if anybody had tried a more forward weight distribution.

compared to the competition, my car seems to be a little sluggish to rotate around short tight corners. i guess the question is, do i try to cut a tighter turn faster, or try to roll thru the turn with a longer smoother line. (a consideration is the groove is usually better on the tighter line, so i feel a little stuck on the inside line.)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM
avs
Tech Master

M. Mobers posted his race report from the Snowbirds.

interestingly, there is a comment about trying to reduce traction rolls, but the changes resulted in taking away too much steering.

it would be instructive (at least for me) what changes were made, and changes you might have tried next to correct the situation. (this might be obvious to some, but not me)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
thanks, that is how mine is arranged.

i have seen some other cars at my local track with the battery all forward and the electronics midship. more forward weight bias seems all the rage, so i was curious if anybody had tried a more forward weight distribution.

compared to the competition, my car seems to be a little sluggish to rotate around short tight corners. i guess the question is, do i try to cut a tighter turn faster, or try to roll thru the turn with a longer smoother line. (a consideration is the groove is usually better on the tighter line, so i feel a little stuck on the inside line.)
Some things you can try to get more steering

Crc white side springs with 1-2 turns of preload, you'll need longer set screws
18 lb center spring
Long front wheelbase

When it ran my car with the stiff springs the long wheelbase had too much steering, I want to try softer springs(stiffer than stock but not as stiff as above) and the long wheelbase, I think this might be best.

I'm not sure what markus did at the race, I'll see if he can post something.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 AM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chicky03
Some things you can try to get more steering

Crc white side springs with 1-2 turns of preload, you'll need longer set screws
18 lb center spring
Long front wheelbase

When it ran my car with the stiff springs the long wheelbase had too much steering, I want to try softer springs(stiffer than stock but not as stiff as above) and the long wheelbase, I think this might be best.

I'm not sure what markus did at the race, I'll see if he can post something.
thank you for the insight!

i tried a shortened wheelbase and it seemed worse, i figured that it was an ackerman setting problem and just hadn't sorted it out yet.

somehow i assumed a short wheelbase would increase steering. there is a running joke with fellows i race with, "whatever change you think you need to make, just do the opposite" (pancars are different)
Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by avs
thank you for the insight!

i tried a shortened wheelbase and it seemed worse, i figured that it was an ackerman setting problem and just hadn't sorted it out yet.

somehow i assumed a short wheelbase would increase steering. there is a running joke with fellows i race with, "whatever change you think you need to make, just do the opposite" (pancars are different)
I cant say on a pan car I haven't noticed a difference with ackerman as long as I keep it in a similar range, wheelbase, at least as much as this can can be changed I did notice a difference. Even though the car will be shorter you think it would turn more but it puts more weight on the front so it actually turns less.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So you could say that moving the front end further forward on the chassis would be similar to moving the battery towards the back of the chassis, correct ?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by On-Point Racing
I cant say on a pan car I haven't noticed a difference with ackerman as long as I keep it in a similar range, wheelbase, at least as much as this can can be changed I did notice a difference. Even though the car will be shorter you think it would turn more but it puts more weight on the front so it actually turns less.
makes sense. when i tried the short wheelbase i did not make any compensating change to the servo. i will try that next time for a better comparison.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
So you could say that moving the front end further forward on the chassis would be similar to moving the battery towards the back of the chassis, correct ?
that is the only rational explanation. so next time maybe i should try moving the battery back as well to get the shorter wheelbase with the same front/rear bias

although compared to the development version 12r5's at snowbirds. it seems like they are looking at even more fwd bias's.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

this car kit have other brand conversion kit to 235mm ?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TUBE CONVERSION

The S100 now has the tube conversion, any one have a set up for this car , tried it with the Markus set up and it was awful, changing the caster blocks to 6 degrees and cell forward every thing else so far is kit.Only changing one thing at a time.
Car was brill round corners but any str8 car was every where under acceleration.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vinster
The S100 now has the tube conversion, any one have a set up for this car , tried it with the Markus set up and it was awful, changing the caster blocks to 6 degrees and cell forward every thing else so far is kit.Only changing one thing at a time.
Car was brill round corners but any str8 car was every where under acceleration.
Please tell me more. I went to Serpent website looking for tube conversion for S100 but could not find any info. Did you convert yourself or is there a conversion kit?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrChodes
Please tell me more. I went to Serpent website looking for tube conversion for S100 but could not find any info. Did you convert yourself or is there a conversion kit?
On-Point racing has the conversion. Stormer Hobbies carries it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.