Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by StarrRacing
Hello Paul,

Rumor has it you may be at Leisure Hours on Sunday for the BBQ Race....
Any truth? Can I put you down on the list for Modified Touring Car?
Im not 100% sure if i will make it yet or not but i am trying.

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
Thanks Paul. It's nice to be able to get set up info from you here on RC-Tech.

JG
No problem.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Im not 100% sure if i will make it yet or not but i am trying.
Quitters never win!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Paul what car width are you running for outdoor asphalt?, And can you please explain what is the difference of running narrow or wider in terms for over all performance of the car?
Thanks again'
Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by liteweight
Hi Paul what car width are you running for outdoor asphalt?, And can you please explain what is the difference of running narrow or wider in terms for over all performance of the car?
Thanks again'
Hi, i normally run 2.25mms of shim's in the front hingepins. the wider front setting feels to take away steering (especially corner entry) but when the car is set up right i feel it is easier to drive and carrys good corner speed.
In the rear i have always run 0 shimms in the front mount with shim's only for toein the rear mount. i have not played a ton with making the rear wider but when i have i feel like it is hard to get the rear to roll evenly with the front. wider hinge pins = less roll. from a traction standpoint it could go iether way but normally narrower will feel like that end of the car has more traction.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paul, have you tested any kind of putty in your front gear diff? If you have what kind and did you mix any oil in. Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by franc furter
Paul, have you tested any kind of putty in your front gear diff? If you have what kind and did you mix any oil in. Thanks
I have tried putty, i used only putty and it was really stiff but worked well. I have heard of people mixing putty and oil also. i would assume just a few drops of 100k or something would be a happy medium.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by franc furter
Originally Posted by Paul L
I have tried putty, i used only putty and it was really stiff but worked well. I have heard of people mixing putty and oil also. i would assume just a few drops of 100k or something would be a happy medium.
Im not Paul by any means but one thing I can add about Putty in the front is that if its really hot outside it makes the car change a lot during a run. A few weeks ago at an asphalt race the track temp was 150. at the start of the run my car was OK when the putty was stiff. As soon as it got hot (about 2 min) it got more and more steering and became harder to drive. It took me a few packs to figure out it was the putty in the front being super soft because it got so hot. The bottom of the car was 125 after a run and the front diff felt like you had 20K in it as soon as you took the car off the track. After it sat for awhile it hardened back up.

Just a heads up if you notice a change during a run that could be the cause.

EA
Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Do you expect the same effect with oils in the rear diff and track temps.
I run in Las Vegas, outdoors. Our ambient air temp today is 110...
Old 07-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Paul, I have a xray 009 upgraded to a 38t pulley does it really need to upgrade the fixed pulley to a 20t or just stick with 16t?

thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Im not Paul by any means but one thing I can add about Putty in the front is that if its really hot outside it makes the car change a lot during a run. A few weeks ago at an asphalt race the track temp was 150. at the start of the run my car was OK when the putty was stiff. As soon as it got hot (about 2 min) it got more and more steering and became harder to drive. It took me a few packs to figure out it was the putty in the front being super soft because it got so hot. The bottom of the car was 125 after a run and the front diff felt like you had 20K in it as soon as you took the car off the track. After it sat for awhile it hardened back up.

Just a heads up if you notice a change during a run that could be the cause.

EA
To help the diff not change as much i made sure that i got the diff as full as possible, with no air I felt that the putty does not change much. With silicone oil you will have the same result in hot temperature. so maybe a spool is just best for super hot weather?.

Originally Posted by Syxxstring
Do you expect the same effect with oils in the rear diff and track temps.
I run in Las Vegas, outdoors. Our ambient air temp today is 110...
yes, you will notice the rear diff to get thinner also. in the rear it is not as much a problem though. 2,000 in your rear diff could become more like 1500 with heat, not as huge a change to the handling as it would be to the front.

Originally Posted by Localracing
Paul, I have a xray 009 upgraded to a 38t pulley does it really need to upgrade the fixed pulley to a 20t or just stick with 16t?

thanks
Hi. I dont like the 16t center pullys. the drive train will be more efficient with the larger pullys and also your belts will last twice as long.
will you see it right away in lap times, ??. but i really do prefer the 20T pullys.

thanks!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Localracing

thanks
I thought the 009 came with 20t centre pulley?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Not sure on that one Paul. I had her packed pretty tight. But I did not take it apart after a run and redo it. maybe it has moved around a little but after it sets for a while it is hard as a rock. But it was hot (150 degree track temp) so its possible it just melted.

EA
Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

On the initial "packing" and each time thereafter that I add more gum I always break the diff by turning the outdrives for a few minutes outside of the car to ensure that the gum gets into every little space then I add a tiny bit more if needed.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

For the sake of information...

I packed three Spec R front gear diffs with putty and noticed the same as y'all; Stiff at first and then softer, probably a combination of moving the putty around and temperature change. I even noticed the diff softening indoors on carpet, albeit summer indoors at our track can get to 90 degrees at times after coming out of my 75* pit room. I packed three with 3 different amounts of putty, and of the three, the two stiffest diffs eventually broke after only a couple race days. The gears stripped, I assume from the increased stress of the stiffer putty. I would like to try the ofna diff locker or the bad horsie grease next.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
For the sake of information...

I packed three Spec R front gear diffs with putty and noticed the same as y'all; Stiff at first and then softer, probably a combination of moving the putty around and temperature change. I even noticed the diff softening indoors on carpet, albeit summer indoors at our track can get to 90 degrees at times after coming out of my 75* pit room. I packed three with 3 different amounts of putty, and of the three, the two stiffest diffs eventually broke after only a couple race days. The gears stripped, I assume from the increased stress of the stiffer putty. I would like to try the ofna diff locker or the bad horsie grease next.
I've heard that anti wear grease like Tamiya has wil work fine in the front diff.
somebody?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.