Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by TEXT
Dear Dearest Friend Paul,

I have been looking at some 1/8th scale electric cars and am currently thinking about going with the MBX6 Eco buggy. I have always been a fan of Mugen Skeiki but they are soo expensive i could never afford one, but this one is only $469 and I would have to buy brushless system, but that shouldnt be too much of a problem! Tell me what you think ! I think it would be a good buy since it just came out and they have parts for this, and Im sure electric will win over nitro one day haha!

Your Friend,

Alex/TEXT
Hey Alex. i dont know much about EP 1/8th buggys, I know that xray has one also but im not sure what the price is. I drove one once and it was fast. just do your research on speed controllers for those, i would hate to see you spend a ton of money to get it up and running to have a speed controller fail. I know that the Thunderpower motor and batterys will work well for EP 8th but i dont know what the most reliable speed controller is.

good luck, see ya

Originally Posted by johnny55
Paul, I'm thinking about purchasing a set of swaybars for my T311 and want to make sure that I use them well. I have not made any adjustments with them ever, and want to know if I will get any kind of adjustments if I do decide to purchase them. I'm thinking about getting sets of 1.2, and 1.6 for the front and I want 1.4, and 1.6 for the rear. Do you make sway adjustments ever? What are the advantages vs the disadvantages? The only changes I make on my car is making chassis stiff or loose taking out screws, and putting them back in when the traction comes up. I have no problems with traction roll, but at times I either push or get loose in the rear. Thanks for the advise.
Hi. my tuening range if bars is 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 front and 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 rear.

contrary to what most think I find that a thinner front bar on my T311 car makes the car easier to drive and push a little more. so for me i will lighten the bar to make it drive smoother or go heavier if i am searching for steering, normally i use a 1.4.

In the rear i have not done as much testing so i dont know for sure. I almost always use a 1.2 in the rear, I think a heavier rear bar makes the car not as aggressive on corner entry.
Thats about all i know for sure.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
Congrats to Paulie and Xray on sweeping the byron's race tonight winning both TC and 8th. Awesome job
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BCbud
Good day!

I race wit a local club in Victoria BC called IROCC (Island Radio Operated Car Club). I have been pitting and racing with a young man named Lucas who last year was diegnosed with cancer. Paul was in our neck of the woods for a race in Vanvouver last winter. Some of our club racers attended this race an asked Paul if he could help us get Lucas a new car at a good price. Well, Paul did one better and put together a car from his inventory of parts and sent it to Lucas with an X-ray pit towel, a personalized pit board, a body he used in his last race and the trophy from that race!

I must say that this was an outstanding thing to do and Lucas made it out for his first race today with the car and he had a huge smile on his face all day and bumped from the D main to tha C main!

Bravo Paul, bravo!

Neil.
Great!, im glad he made it out and was able to run the car. Thanks for the update!!

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Ran an sedan for the first time in months bro. Was at Ripon last night. The Xray I was loaned was dialed. Tell Birch to send me a car so I can get back into the game....LOL How ya been bro? Playing in the dirt has been pretty fun lately. Don't know when I'll see you again unless Xray makes a 2wd buggy
Hi. Ill let you make the call to ralph on that one, LOL
Im doing good, hope all is well with you too.
Im sure we will cross paths again someday

see ya
Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Mod

Paul, I'm wanting to run mod at Beat the Heat next weekend in Memphis. EA and some other guys are running a 4.0 motor. I have the Tekin RS and it says I can only go down to a 5 turn motor. Will I be at a big disadvantage with a 5 turn versus their 4turn? I really don't want to swap out my ESC for one race.

Or do you have a better combo to try. I heard something about a 10.5 with some boost?

Thanks,

JG
Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
Paul, I'm wanting to run mod at Beat the Heat next weekend in Memphis. EA and some other guys are running a 4.0 motor. I have the Tekin RS and it says I can only go down to a 5 turn motor. Will I be at a big disadvantage with a 5 turn versus their 4turn? I really don't want to swap out my ESC for one race.

Or do you have a better combo to try. I heard something about a 10.5 with some boost?

Thanks,

JG
Not to step on Paul's toes here, but I ran a boosted 7.5 at the Palmer Home charity race a few months ago in Southaven and it was stupid fast...Brian ran a boosted 10.5 and TQ'd with it, and I think set fast lap. I was surprised how much boost I could get away with but then again it was about 50 degrees outside, not 99 in the shade like BTH. See you in a couple weeks!

-rocky b

edit: I think EA ran a boosted 7.5 as well, not sure what BigDog had for motor but it was turbofied too

Last edited by flatspunout; 06-28-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 AM
Gravity RC

Thanks,

JG
I would try first running the 5 turn non boosted, start the gearing at 8.2. see if its fast enough for you. if its not fast enough but running cool, try gearing up. i think you can make it work, If not you will want to get a boosted speedo/gear set up some others.

Originally Posted by flatspunout
Not to step on Paul's toes here, but I ran a boosted 7.5 at the Palmer Home charity race a few months ago in Southaven and it was stupid fast...Brian ran a boosted 10.5 and TQ'd with it, and I think set fast lap. I was surprised how much boost I could get away with but then again it was about 50 degrees outside, not 99 in the shade like BTH. See you in a couple weeks!

-rocky b

edit: I think EA ran a boosted 7.5 as well, not sure what BigDog had for motor but it was turbofied too

No problem, i dont know much about the boosted thing yet.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hey Paul, I hear you and some of the xray guys are going to Washington for the Timezone Gran Prix next month, will yoube running Mod sedan or just nitro??

See ya next month,
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Scott B
Hey Paul, I hear you and some of the xray guys are going to Washington for the Timezone Gran Prix next month, will yoube running Mod sedan or just nitro??

See ya next month,
Hi Scott, i dont think that i will be coming with the Electric nationals right afyer it would be too much for me to pull off. Ralph, Swager and Drew will be their for sure. Im sure that they will run 8th scale and maybe nitro TC also.
Im sure ill catch you a nother time!

see ya
Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Thanks,

JG
I hope this doesn't sidetrack Pauls thread too much, but I can't help but point out that Tekin has mentioned several times before that the 5.5 limit on the RS applies to 1 cell 2wd applications. If you want to run a mod motor unboosted I would stay north of a 6.5. I just would hate to see you blow an esc!

Back to your regularly scheduled Pawl Lee...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I hope this doesn't sidetrack Pauls thread too much, but I can't help but point out that Tekin has mentioned several times before that the 5.5 limit on the RS applies to 1 cell 2wd applications. If you want to run a mod motor unboosted I would stay north of a 6.5. I just would hate to see you blow an esc!

Back to your regularly scheduled Pawl Lee...
Good lookin out, thanks Andrew. i dont know the limitations of that speedo.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Speed Controller

Paul, what's the model number of your speed controller?

Also what set up would you recommend for BTH in Memphis.

JG
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Gravity RC

Paul, what's the model number of your speed controller?

Also what set up would you recommend for BTH in Memphis.

JG
I run the the sxxTC V2, profiles 2,6,0,3 with a thunderpower 4.0, 15deg timing, geared 9.0 for smaller tracks and 8.6 for larger tracks.

I would start with my reedy set up from this year but with 4 deg caster blocks, should be pretty smooth.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey Paul, any suggestions on where to gear a Thunder Power 5.0 for 96x42 carpet track? How about timing? Thanks.

Track pics here.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hey Paul, any suggestions on where to gear a Thunder Power 5.0 for 96x42 carpet track? How about timing? Thanks.

Track pics here.
Hi. i would start it at a 8.2 overall ratio with 20deg timing, no timing on the speedo. check motor temps and go from their, but it should be close.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Paul what is the good starting FDR And motor timing for thunder power 17.5 blinky, what rotor should I use track is 120x80?,for outdoor asphalt
Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Hey Paul!

How long do you let the LG oil stay on the tires before a run? Do you ever use tire warmers with this oil?

Also, do you think a 4.0T Mod motor gives an advantage over a 5.0T motor on a 150'x60' asphalt track(besides straights)? I know you usually run a 4.0T, what would you do differently if you were to run a 5.0T?

How suitable would you say a 5.0T is for Jackson RC?

Will you be running 13.5 as well as MOD at the Paved Nationals at Jackson?

Thanks!

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.