Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Regarding tight in and loose off... What I've seen quite often on carpet is that with a really pushy car, you can use too much steering throw and force the car to turn, but it's all bound up. Then when you get on the power you've still got the wheels turned too much, the front digs in hard, and the car doesn't want to straighten out, seeming like oversteer. Making the usual changes to tighten up the car then makes it worse. Changing the setup towards more steering can actually solve it.

But of course as Paul mentioned, if your rear diff is bound up, that can make it kick out. Also if the rear belt is too tight relative to the front, that can make the rear kick out when you get on power, too.

-Mike
Thanks! This makes a LOT of sense. I think he may have been picking up the throttle before getting it straight too....

It is his first time driving with a spool. I am sure that is a learning experience for him.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by JOE SI
Thanks Paul.
Would a harder front have the same effect? Instead of a softer rear?
My first time ever driving a 1/12, they're fun
Yup, it can. Thanks

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Regarding tight in and loose off... What I've seen quite often on carpet is that with a really pushy car, you can use too much steering throw and force the car to turn, but it's all bound up. Then when you get on the power you've still got the wheels turned too much, the front digs in hard, and the car doesn't want to straighten out, seeming like oversteer. Making the usual changes to tighten up the car then makes it worse. Changing the setup towards more steering can actually solve it.

But of course as Paul mentioned, if your rear diff is bound up, that can make it kick out. Also if the rear belt is too tight relative to the front, that can make the rear kick out when you get on power, too.

-Mike
Also good points.

Originally Posted by jasons56
Thanks! This makes a LOT of sense. I think he may have been picking up the throttle before getting it straight too....

It is his first time driving with a spool. I am sure that is a learning experience for him.
Im sure hell do fine! well get him going.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Paul, can you come to every track I race at and fill out a setup sheet?

Thanks,

John

Old 02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A found a comment by another racer made in the 1/12 scale thread. No one managed to answer his question. I too am curios to find out what your opinion is.

"Just out of curiosity...
Suppose I'm running maximum caster at my front end (all 3 shims to the front) and 5* Blocks.

What would be the difference between:
moving a shim to the rear...
or changing to 10* caster block

I already know the reactive caster allows you to have more in the straights, calming the car, and less in the corner, allowing the car to turn in harder.

I just want to know under what situations would it be better to make static caster changes vs. reactive caster changes."

Cheers.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn

Thanks,

John

Yeah, me too ... and make it for the T3'12 while you are at it

That reminds me, do you have your old T3'12 base carpet setup laying around somewhere on the internets?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello Paul,

I drive in a medium-big asphalt track, I have thunder power 4.5 motor an HW speedo, what timming do you recomend for the motor? and ratio? can you send me a setup for the speedo?
Thank you in advance
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry I have duplicate post
Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
A found a comment by another racer made in the 1/12 scale thread. No one managed to answer his question. I too am curios to find out what your opinion is.

"Just out of curiosity...
Suppose I'm running maximum caster at my front end (all 3 shims to the front) and 5* Blocks.

What would be the difference between:
moving a shim to the rear...
or changing to 10* caster block

I already know the reactive caster allows you to have more in the straights, calming the car, and less in the corner, allowing the car to turn in harder.

I just want to know under what situations would it be better to make static caster changes vs. reactive caster changes."

Cheers.
Hi. I have never really felt the connection between reactive and static caster. maybe Hebert would have a direction? If you get a answer feel free to post it up here!

Originally Posted by kaan
Yeah, me too ... and make it for the T3'12 while you are at it

That reminds me, do you have your old T3'12 base carpet setup laying around somewhere on the internets?
lol.

This set up was good for me on carpet.

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&setup=t3_2012

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Roedor
Hello Paul,

I drive in a medium-big asphalt track, I have thunder power 4.5 motor an HW speedo, what timming do you recomend for the motor? and ratio? can you send me a setup for the speedo?
Thank you in advance
Hi, No problem! I Hope this works, I filled out a sheet, printed it, then took a pic. Hope you can read it. This is where i would start.

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn

Thanks,

John

LOL.

Attached Thumbnails Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC-photo.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you Paul!!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Paul
Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello Paul,

I have test and I am happy with the acceleration and top speed, but I have a problem braking I have nearly all 100% and I don't get enought brake after the straight and we have a hairpin, what can I do?

Thank you
Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Roedor
Hello Paul,

I have test and I am happy with the acceleration and top speed, but I have a problem braking I have nearly all 100% and I don't get enought brake after the straight and we have a hairpin, what can I do?

Thank you
No problem!
I Haven't played with brakes yet but i suppose go to 100% brake on the speedo settings for starters.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Eyes...

Hi Paul,

When you're driving where are you eyes looking? Are they fixed to the front of the car? Are you always looking ahead of the car a few feet or staring at the corner while you're watching the car drive thru it using your peripheral vision.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks again Paul for the tuning help at the Nats! Your sponsors could not have a better rep. That was an unbelievable show of driving talent as well.

My son is definitely a new fan. I'm glad he has a good role model. Get some more Gravity Products out there so we can show some appreciation that way as well!

Augie and I look forward to racing with you again. We sure wish Colorado was possible for us. Sounds like a blast!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jasons56
Gravity Products out there so we can show some appreciation that way as well!
Speaking of which, what Gravity tire combo would be most like a Magenta Front/Blue rear?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.