Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Paul L
If the Mesh is proper a spur will last a long time. for carpet i will use the same gear for several races, on asphalt with some small stones and debris i may not change for a while or with some bad luck possibly once or twice per event, At ETS i made the whole week with the same spur.

Thanks

Hi Steve, Thanks! i needed more luck than that, lol. im sure ill see ya soon.

No problem!. Yes the kit comes with a tall shim to put under the ball stud on the steering rack. as for offsetting the servo horn or saver I am not really 100% sure on that. I have had that conversation with many people and their seems to be a good argument for both sides. I run my servo horn straight up but i could be wrong.

thanks
i can only account for the savox servo,the savox doesnt have as much throw as some others so the horn needs to lean towards the top deck to get an even throw,epa will still be different from side to side to get it spot on
Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by rosko
Was any new parts tested at the ets race
Hi Rosko. I did see some new steering bits along with the new belts, new layshaft bulkheads and i think a chassis but i did not get a chance to look at it closely.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
hey Paul,

I know you seem a bit down on your performance at ETS but we are all proud of you here. That's some seriously tough competition and you did well.

Last time I was on here I was struggling with a wiggle in my car coming out of faster corners running mod at Leisure Hours. I had tried to mimic your 2013 Nats setup but I ended up going back through the car and found a couple things that were not what you had. I reset the car with your Nats setup and headed out this week. No more wiggle! I did discover the rear toe was only at 2° and I think that played a big part of the problem because it didn't lock the car in under power.

What do you think about springs? Have you tried the progressives all around? I changed from the 2.3's in your setup to the soft progressive springs and the car stopped lifting a tire in mid speed turns and was better under braking. That made it easier to drive for me which was good but I wonder what a firmer spring like the 2.5's or firmer progressives all around would do.

Thanks,
Hi, for a high speed track such as leisure hours i think stiffer could work, At the hudy arena (also super high speed) most of the team ran the 2.5/2.8 spring all around, I ended up on the 2.5/2.8 in the front with standard 2.5's in the rear.
im glad that you fixed the wiggle in your car!, and yes the stiffer springs are for sure a option.

Thanks

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
i can only account for the savox servo,the savox doesnt have as much throw as some others so the horn needs to lean towards the top deck to get an even throw,epa will still be different from side to side to get it spot on
Great, Thanks!.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

I have a 4.0T motor that I am going to be using in my T4 to run at Kissimmee/Full Throttle. What gearing would you recommend i start with? And another rookie question, do you make you speed adjustments with the motor and ESC with a mod car or are you changing gearing frequently?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by esckalayd
Hey Paul,

I have a 4.0T motor that I am going to be using in my T4 to run at Kissimmee/Full Throttle. What gearing would you recommend i start with? And another rookie question, do you make you speed adjustments with the motor and ESC with a mod car or are you changing gearing frequently?
Hi Anthony, I would gear around a 8.3, from their it is all in the speedo set up and static timing. I rarely change the gearing.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Paul,

Is it possible to post your T4's setup for last ETS race in Hudy Arena ?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Anthony, I would gear around a 8.3, from their it is all in the speedo set up and static timing. I rarely change the gearing.

Thanks
Forgot to ask, do you run 64P or 48P gears? I'm not sure how well the 64P gears would hold up under the wear and tear and braking. With the internal drive (1.9) and 48P gears a 99/23 puts me at 8.178.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing you at Full Throttle soon. Hopefully George and Steve can entice you to come down and show us all how its done.

Last edited by esckalayd; 07-25-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you use 48p, 84/19 gets you to 8.4
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Forgot to ask, do you run 64P or 48P gears? I'm not sure how well the 64P gears would hold up under the wear and tear and braking. With the internal drive (1.9) and 48P gears a 99/23 puts me at 8.178.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing you at Full Throttle soon. Hopefully George and Steve can entice you to come down and show us all how its done.
An 86t 48dp spur is about the largest you'd want to fit, and even that is level with the bottom of the chassis.

Skiddins
Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys, haven't been running the T4 long, but the 3 races i have i ran 17.5 and will be moving to mod. I will pick up an 84T and 86T 48p spur with a 19T and 20T pinion. That should give me enough to work with.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Paul do u use the standard motor mount or the optional mount? Do u know the intended purpose of the optional motor mount
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

What'd up Paul ? Been about 7months since I visited this thread (been running off road locally) . any who... Trying to gear up for carpet season early this year. Any tips for spec racing with the T4 u have found ?
And another question. Would u run same oil/piston setup running stock vs mod ? I think spec racing u look for more corner speed than in mod racing since u have less acceleration out of corners, and would think different setups would be recomended or am i off base?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Paul,
LG1 is a great product. I do not recommend it for suntan lotion on your face. It burns.

That is all.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Paul,
LG1 is a great product. I do not recommend it for suntan lotion on your face. It burns.

That is all.
It could be a good chemical peel for reality show "house wives"
That was too funny today...
Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi Edward.
I have balanced the rear pod in the past but i do not currently. The chassis i will balance on pins or at least get it close. you can also then ballance the car as a whole and it will be fairly close. I would not add weight, i would move the battery until the balance is better and if you cant do that i would move the electronics around then.

Thanks!

Thanks for you help Paul.

As for the battery, I can't move it. It's in a fixed position. The electronics have been placed and still there is a 13 gram difference. Should I just add lead weight to compensate for the difference or let it be?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by mos-leung
Hi Paul,

Is it possible to post your T4's setup for last ETS race in Hudy Arena ?
Yup, sorry it took me so long, just been kinda crazy lately. http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=477&setup=t4

Hi. I run 64P, if the mesh is set perfect you will not have a problem stripping 64p, 48p definately gives you a little room for error though, either way though i think its not a advantage. ill be down their soon for sure!

Originally Posted by hyujmn
If you use 48p, 84/19 gets you to 8.4
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Skiddins
An 86t 48dp spur is about the largest you'd want to fit, and even that is level with the bottom of the chassis.

Skiddins
Perfect!

Originally Posted by rosko
Paul do u use the standard motor mount or the optional mount? Do u know the intended purpose of the optional motor mount
When we were doing testing for the T4 we had a different motor mount but i have seen nothing since then so i and i think everyone has been running the kit motor mount. I dont know that a optional one exists for sale?

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
What'd up Paul ? Been about 7months since I visited this thread (been running off road locally) . any who... Trying to gear up for carpet season early this year. Any tips for spec racing with the T4 u have found ?
And another question. Would u run same oil/piston setup running stock vs mod ? I think spec racing u look for more corner speed than in mod racing since u have less acceleration out of corners, and would think different setups would be recomended or am i off base?
Hi!. I think it Really depends on the track but i would say that a good mod set up should work well in stock as, im sure their will be little tweaks here and their depending on how its handling that day as always. for high bite carpet i dont think that i have gotten the car much better for it was crazy good last year, for lower bite i think that i will be going back to the 3hole piston set up as the car seems more responsive with the less smaller hole pistons, for lower traction i will start with 3H 1.0, 350 and see how that feels next time.
Good luck!

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Paul,

That is all.
LOL, sorry, I recommend spraying it very close and directly to a towel or rag on a windy day. unscrewing the cap and fine tip art brush works well also.

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Thanks for you help Paul.

As for the battery, I can't move it. It's in a fixed position. The electronics have been placed and still there is a 13 gram difference. Should I just add lead weight to compensate for the difference or let it be?
No prob. I would not, I would find a way to move the battery, file a plastic piece or some way to move the battery or make it balanced somehow other than adding weight. I think their is a way somehow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.