Community
Wiki Posts
Search

newbie getting started....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default newbie getting started....

whats crackin peeps.....im a newbie trying to get into the rc world and i have no clue whats the "good brands" and i would like to know what these brands are.......im more interested in on road rcs and drifting...any suggestions would help
Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cars:
Xray
Tamiya
Losi
Associated
and many more

ESCs:
Tekin
LRP
Novak
Speed Passion
KO Propo

Servos/Radios:
KO Propo
Futaba
Airtronics

Batteries:
Thunder Power
SMC

Motors:
Team Epic
Tekin
Novak
Speed Passion

There are tons more that could be added to each list, but that's a start at least.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default r

is exceed any good? i was looking online at the brushless rc drift star kv 3300
Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnydemzr
is exceed any good? i was looking online at the brushless rc drift star kv 3300
Don't buy it, they are cheap and nasty.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Rookie

what about the hpi E10 with the 27T 540 motor????????or am i better off with the hpi drift to sprint version??????
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

from what i have seen and done you need to work out what the car is going to be most used for. whether it be drift of racing cause you will have to set the car up. if you opt for drift mainly with some race then you can not just throw some tyres on and go you will destroy your car. This is due to the fact that the car will be geared for more torque and the motor wont handle the new grip it has and start over heating. So you will have to change the pinion and spur gear. They way you have your spring and shocks is different as well, but id you are just mucking around with it then it wont affect it to much. It will just make it quicker to turn. It will not be really idea to go competition racing with. If you set it up for race and throw some drift tyres on then your fine wont need to change a thing.

So that said you need to work out what you want the car mainly for and then you can work you setups to suit.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

i think i will go the for the speed instead of the drifting than.........what is a good starter car that i can go fast and build all in a reasonable price?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i think i will go the for the speed instead of the drifting than.........what is a good starter car that i can go fast and build all in a reasonable price?
You need to define what reasonable is to you.

HPI Sprint 2 flux is a nice starter set up that gets you into brushless from the start.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Kit: $150
Motor: $80
ESC: $150
Set of batteries: $100
Radio: $100
Servo: $50
Charger: $50
Spare parts: $50
Tools: $50
and so on...total: you do the math

If you get brushed system, it will die soon and you will be facing with options to either get another brushed motor and upgrade ($200-$300) to brushless which will last for a very long time.

it will get expensive before you know it. Sure you can get a car ready to go for $50 but it will be no fun.

I asume that you are talking 1/10 scale here. There is also 1/18 scale that can be fun...and more "reasonable".
Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ozvena
Kit: $150
Motor: $80
ESC: $150
Set of batteries: $100
Radio: $100
Servo: $50
Charger: $50
Spare parts: $50
Tools: $50
and so on...total: you do the math

If you get brushed system, it will die soon and you will be facing with options to either get another brushed motor and upgrade ($200-$300) to brushless which will last for a very long time.

it will get expensive before you know it. Sure you can get a car ready to go for $50 but it will be no fun.

I asume that you are talking 1/10 scale here. There is also 1/18 scale that can be fun...and more "reasonable".
$780
in case your too lazy to do the math
Old 12-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by garrittpwl
$xxx
in case your too lazy to do the math
Please delete that post. I can't look at that number. That is not only "unreasonable" but also "crazy". Why didn't I get a large screen TV instead and a case of lollipops????
Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

whats crackin peeps.....im a newbie trying to get into the rc world and i have no clue whats the "good brands" and i would like to know what these brands are.......im more interested in on road rcs and drifting...any suggestions would help
You can also start looking at here, if used stuff would suit you:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/#sale-trade-forums

You can find some used stuff and save substantial $$$. Also get AM radio, these are super cheap and will work fine for other than serious competition.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ozvena
Please delete that post. I can't look at that number. That is not only "unreasonable" but also "crazy". Why didn't I get a large screen TV instead and a case of lollipops????
You can find some used stuff and save substantial $$$. Also get AM radio, these are super cheap and will work fine for other than serious competition.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Addict

You could get a HPI E10 RTR for $200. It comes with everything you need including charger, radio, motor, battery. Only thing you need is AA batteries for the transmitter. For those just get some Sanyo 2700mah NiMH AAs with wall charger. You really can't get anything else with a good brand name for less than the E10 RTR.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/10785/

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWWR6&P=7

If later you want to upgrade to brushless then just get the 9T eZRun combo at hobbyparts for only $70.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html

If you really want to go cheap this Tamiya RTR kit is $100 but you really can't do any upgrades with it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDYA5&P=7

Last edited by PaPeRo; 12-11-2009 at 07:46 AM.