TOTAL TOE???

Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 PM
  #1  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default TOTAL TOE???

Just need a quick answer. What is total toe. I understand toe in and toe out, but don't want to search for "total toe". Just need a straight forward answer. Thank you in advance.
storytyme is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 AM
  #2  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
Ryan Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 275
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
Just need a quick answer. What is total toe. I understand toe in and toe out, but don't want to search for "total toe". Just need a straight forward answer. Thank you in advance.
Total Toe usually refers to Inboard Toe + Outboard Toe.

Inboard toe being the angle that is produced by the whole Suspension arm and Outboard being the angle produced by the outer Hub.

Most cars these days come with 3 Deg Inboard toe and 0 Deg Outboard toe on the Rear and 0 Deg Inboard toe and adjustable (With Turnbuckles) Outboard toe on the front.

Hope this makes sense.

Ryan.
Ryan Maker is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 12:16 AM
  #3  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NZ
Posts: 678
Default

Originally Posted by Ryan Maker View Post
Inboard toe being the angle that is produced by the whole Suspension arm and Outboard being the angle produced by the outer Hub.

Most cars these days come with 3 Deg Inboard toe and 0 Deg Outboard toe on the Rear and 0 Deg Inboard toe and adjustable (With Turnbuckles) Outboard toe on the front.

Ryan.
hey thanks for the explantion, Ive been wondering about this as well

Ive a couple of questions on this topic as well..
so a 'hopup' 3 degree hub would be a outboard toe adjustment?
The total toe is the one we measure with setup stations ?
Does it matter whether the total toe is produced from inboard or outboard??
1101 is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 04:57 AM
  #4  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (19)
 
Jackster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

But you can't adjust toe with the hubs, correct? Are you just referring to to angle at which they mount to the arm?

Last edited by Jackster; 12-10-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Jackster is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 AM
  #5  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Ryan Maker View Post
Total Toe usually refers to Inboard Toe + Outboard Toe.

Inboard toe being the angle that is produced by the whole Suspension arm and Outboard being the angle produced by the outer Hub.

Most cars these days come with 3 Deg Inboard toe and 0 Deg Outboard toe on the Rear and 0 Deg Inboard toe and adjustable (With Turnbuckles) Outboard toe on the front.

Hope this makes sense.

Ryan.
You can adjust the toe on the rear with turnbuckles as well right? So the inboard toe is established when you build the car and install a certain shim to create that toe? and then you adjust the turnbuckles to get to the desired total toe?
storytyme is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 06:52 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Since were on the topic,

how do people feel about outboard rear toe giving more rotation?
Owen RaCing is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 AM
  #7  
Company Representative
iTrader: (6)
 
SweepRacingUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: www.SweepRacingUSA.com
Posts: 1,855
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
You can adjust the toe on the rear with turnbuckles as well right? So the inboard toe is established when you build the car and install a certain shim to create that toe? and then you adjust the turnbuckles to get to the desired total toe?
I dont know what car you drive but as far as I know there is no electric TC that you can adjust rear toes with a turnbuckle.

only car that I remember is org version NTC3, and thats a gas car.

turnbuckles on the rear adjust the camber.
SweepRacingUSA is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 06:58 AM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (89)
 
trerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
Since were on the topic,

how do people feel about outboard rear toe giving more rotation?
Or possibly too much rotation, outboard toe in the rear would also make the car very unstable and hard to drive.
trerc is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 07:01 AM
  #9  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
mtbboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg. Igloo. Hockey. Beer.
Posts: 715
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by da_John_wee View Post
I dont know what car you drive but as far as I know there is no electric TC that you can adjust toes with a turnbuckle.

only car that I remember is org version NTC3, and thats a gas car.

turnbuckles on the rear adjust the camber.
+1
mtbboy is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:09 AM
  #10  
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,663
Default

Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
hey thanks for the explantion, Ive been wondering about this as well

Ive a couple of questions on this topic as well..
so a 'hopup' 3 degree hub would be a outboard toe adjustment?
The total toe is the one we measure with setup stations ?
Does it matter whether the total toe is produced from inboard or outboard??
Yes, you measure total toe with a setup station.
Hubs are outboard toe adjustments.
Several schools of though on inboard vs. outboard toe being better. Some feel that inboard toe (shims) can cause binding in the pivot pin/arm, since the pin holders are slightly cocked when tightened against the bulkhead. Thus, some prefer outboard toe.
CarbonJoe is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 AM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
303slowdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rapid City SD.
Posts: 2,299
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

fyi-schumacher axis 2 had rear turn buckles for toe adjustment
303slowdown is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 AM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (42)
 
Mark506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Latrobe, PA
Posts: 1,086
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quick question, 2 degrees of inward toe in the rear, and .5 degrees of toe out in the front;

Would that make the car pretty much the same as 2.5 degrees in the the rear, and 0 in the front? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but im just curious if that blanaces out anything
Mark506 is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 AM
  #13  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

I was looking on a pro driver set-up sheet for the TC5 and they had 3 for total toe in the rear. I assume this is positive 3 which would be toe out in the rear? I would think -3 degree would be the correct setting? Also, you cannot adjust the rear outboard toe with a turnbuckle (my bad).
storytyme is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
  #14  
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,663
Default

Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
I was looking on a pro driver set-up sheet for the TC5 and they had 3 for total toe in the rear. I assume this is positive 3 which would be toe out in the rear? I would think -3 degree would be the correct setting? Also, you cannot adjust the rear outboard toe with a turnbuckle (my bad).
Nobody that I've seen runs toe out in the rear. It is 3 degrees toe in.
CarbonJoe is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
  #15  
Company Representative
iTrader: (6)
 
SweepRacingUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: www.SweepRacingUSA.com
Posts: 1,855
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Mark506 View Post
Quick question, 2 degrees of inward toe in the rear, and .5 degrees of toe out in the front;

Would that make the car pretty much the same as 2.5 degrees in the the rear, and 0 in the front? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but im just curious if that blanaces out anything
no, you dont deduct fr to rear or rear to front.
both front toe and rear toe does have effect on car's handling (set up) but no direct connection between it.
SweepRacingUSA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.