Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TeamNovak's "Build-A-Ballistic"™ Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Im not into drifting either. Well sometimes.

EX motors worked really well for me. Even on M-chassis kits. It has really
less resistance compared with BL motors with sintered rotors. I have
beaten kits with sintered rotor using these EX motors, though it's a
little hot. We have a group here that prefers smooth and less resistance
motors. So I hope you could create a spec rotor for us with the same
smoothness as CC motors but sintered.

Thank you.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Company Representative

I forwarded you questions to Bob; here is his response:

The reason a non-sensored motor feels like it does is because it is what you call a slotless motor design and not a slotted sensored design like Novak and the other car racing motor manufacturers make.

Since a slotless motor has very little iron in it, the magnets do not have anything to cog against. This feature is what gives the motor its free wheeling characteristic which most car drivers do not like.

There are two ways to make a slotted motor feel this (smoother) way and both ways decrease the power output of the motor and overheat it. One is to run very weak magnets and the other way is to have a very large air gap (small diameter magnets). We could do either but nobody but a very few would want to run them.

It is not a good idea to grind the rotor down because it is a very difficult and messy operation. If you do want to try it you must apply a coating of epoxy over the magnet, after you finish, to prevent the magnets from rusting.
Airflow:

Im a great fan of Novak BL systems, I have 3 of them all XBRs
with EX motors. I havent switched to sintered yet but Ive tried
and always reverted back to the old bonded rotors because it
felt more free off power and revs smoothly. Recently, my brother
bought CC Sidewinder system, the motor came with a sintered
rotor, so I thought it'll be hard to turn or twist (the shaft) by fingers.
But was very surprised as it has almost no resistance at all.
Can you make a sintered rotor like this? Bought a Velocity Light
motor last 2009, Steve told me that it has torque and lesser
resistance but it's still hard to turn, went back to the old EX motors.
Im waiting for the Kinetic, I have a new chassis to work on this
year. Bonded rotors are phased out so Ill be stuck with Ballistic
motors. So can you make a sintered rotor that'll work smoothly,
with very less resistance like the ones in CC motors? Or can I just
modify the stock 12.3mm motor by grinding it to 12mm or less?

BTW, drag and street racing is my game so I really have no use
for natural drag brakes or any form of engine brakes.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Company Representative

Default Ballistic Motor Technical Updates

Here are two Ballistic tech updates, prepared by Steve, in response to questions from our Ballistic motor customers:

Motor Timing Update:

The range of timing adjustment on the SS motors is limited and somewhat inconsistent. We set the timing to approx 30 degrees as we currently do on the Ballistic. Your "average" range of adjustment on the SS series of motors was from about 15 to 45 degrees... This is the reason why we made the timing label on the ballistic reflect these particular values.

Some SS motors will not allow for this amount of adjustment however: the tolerances among the stator, rotor, and sensor could build up in either direction to allow for more than a total of 45 degrees possible or less than 45 degrees possible.

Performance differences between the SS and Ballistic teardowns is generally attributed to differences in rotor strength, but there is one design attribute that differs between the SS and ballistic that may also contribute to the difference in performance: The air gap between the sensor assembly and the rotor itself. This gap is relatively small on most of the SS series of motors and was increased on the ballistic motors.

When tested on the dyno this difference in air gaps to the rotor resulted in changes that were similar to running different timing values. A bigger gap acts like more timing whereas a smaller gap acts like less timing.
Ballistic Sensor Harness

In order to ensure that the replaceable sensor harness doesn’t easily fall out of the ballistic motor accidentally, the end bell was designed to snuggly retain the end of the sensor harness in its connector.

As such, removal of the harness requires special attention so as to not damage the harness itself.

1. It is advised to note the timing setting on the motor.
2. Using a 1.5 mm wrench, loosen the three flat head screws holding the end cap and sensor assembly in place.
3. Once loosened, grasp the sensor harness as close to the connector as possible.
4. Gently “walk” the sensor harness connector out of the motor’s connector by wiggling the connector side to side.
a. NOTE: You may need to pull up slightly on the harness as there is a small lip on the endbell that may impede the removal of the sensor harness connector in certain circumstances.
5. Once the harness is removed, it can easily be replaced at this point.
6. Next, retighten the three 1.5 mm screws in the end cap, ensuring that the timing setting is set to where it was noted before the sensor harness removal process was begun.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Glitching problem with my new novak havoc pro ballistic 6.5T

hi, im frm Singapore. I just bought a new set of novak havoc pro with ballistic 6.5T combo 3 days ago but having some glitch problem.

Been troubleshooting it for 3days..

- Tried using different tx/rx (am/2.4ghz) sanwa mxa and sanwa mx3 fhss
- Tried different batteries ( Lipo/ nicad/ nimh) all fully charged
- Tried different crystal for (AM tx/rx)
- Tried resetting the esc following the manual
- Tried troubleshooting it as told from the maunal
- Tried to look for damaged wirings but found nothing
- Tried to seprate my AM antenna but cant be solved
- Tried disconnecting my analog servo coz i think it might be faulty and drawing high amps but still the same
- Tried to find poor soldering connection but found nth.

- Lipo cut is turned off when using nicad/nimh but still having glitch.

The car runs smoothly when i lift it up (without load) but it happens when i run it on ground. The throttle will cut off although im holding it. The power cuts in whenever it wants. Sometimes slow reaction(LAG).

Mailed teamnovak 2days ago but no reply.

Pls help me~ send me email or opinon to [email protected] or pm me.

Last edited by York; 01-20-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Company Representative

York,

I responded to your post on your other thread. I have forwarded this information to Tech Support, so you should be hearing soon.

Originally Posted by York
hi, im frm Singapore. I just bought a new set of novak havoc pro with ballistic 6.5T combo 3 days ago but having some glitch problem.

- Tried using different tx/rx (am/2.4ghz) sanwa mxa and sanwa mx3 fhss
- Tried different batteries ( Lipo/ nicad/ nimh) all fully charged
- Tried different crystal for (AM tx/rx)
- Tried resetting the esc following the manual
- Tried troubleshooting it as told from the maunal
- Tried to look for damaged wirings but found nothing
- Tried to seprate my AM antenna but cant be solved

- Lipo cut is turned off when using nicad/nimh but still having glitch.

The car runs smoothly when i lift it up (without load) but it happens when i run it on ground. The throttle will cut off although im holding it. The power cuts in whenever it wants. Sometimes slow reaction(LAG).

Mailed teamnovak 2days ago but no reply.

Pls help me~ send me email or opinon to [email protected] or pm me.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
York,

I responded to your post on your other thread. I have forwarded this information to Tech Support, so you should be hearing soon.
Tq so much.. i trust novak thats why i buy novak. Hopefully u guys can help me out..
Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Company Representative

Tq so much.. i trust novak thats why i buy novak. Hopefully u guys can help me out..
We have a distributor in Singapore---did you contact him for assistance?

SINGAPORE

TOYKAR & CO.

170 Upper Bukit Timah Road #04-57, 04-K24,
Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, 588179
Phone: (65) 46 81848, Fax: (65) 46-68330
E-Mail: [email protected]
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We have a distributor in Singapore---did you contact him for assistance?

SINGAPORE

TOYKAR & CO.

170 Upper Bukit Timah Road #04-57, 04-K24,
Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, 588179
Phone: (65) 46 81848, Fax: (65) 46-68330
E-Mail: [email protected]
Not yet contact him but will bring my whole car down for him to see. Hopefully he can help me out. This is the 1st novak product i bought so far.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i have a ballistic 13.5 i bought a couple of months ago from Amain. i run this motor in 13.5 12th scale. i run a Tekin RS, smc 3.7 lipo. i have jacked with this motor for quite some time time now trying to get the thing to rip hard. After ALOT of gearing up and down i have given up on it. i have tweaked static and dynamic timing with no help at all. i installed a epic duo 2 like some of the other guys run and i found the power i feel i have been missing with the ballistic. begining to think this thing has a bad stator or something. any ideas?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Not yet contact him but will bring my whole car down for him to see. Hopefully he can help me out. This is the 1st novak product i bought so far.
Recieved email frm teamnovak. Will bring down to toykar in sg. Thanks novaktwo.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Is the 1,300+ Graded Sintered Tuning Rotor any better than the stock Ballastic one in my 17.5 for spec carpet oval racing?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by OfnaJoe
Is the 1,300+ Graded Sintered Tuning Rotor any better than the stock Ballastic one in my 17.5 for spec carpet oval racing?
We offer the graded rotors, mostly because Oval racers want the assurance of the higher numbers; we make no claims concerning their actual performance.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OfnaJoe
You should measure the current rotor that you have. NovakTwo can correct me if I'm wrong, but it is very possible to get rotors over 1300 without getting the "graded" rotor.

It is also possible to have a 1200, but not likely. If you have a 1200, the 1300 will be better - you might be able to see it on the track (more likely at the end of the run). If you have a 1285 right now, you probably wont see anything.

There is some discussion about how having too strong a rotor in 17.5, I haven't raced any 17.5 single cell to find out. I don't think it is 1300 though :-).
Old 09-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Company Representative

You are correct about this. Bob has experimented with the (few) very high rated motors that we have found; he thinks too high a number (magnetic strength) may hinder performance. But, our testing has been limited. All the graded 1300+ rotors do is assure customers that those rotors fall into the category advertised.

Originally Posted by jblackburn
You should measure the current rotor that you have. NovakTwo can correct me if I'm wrong, but it is very possible to get rotors over 1300 without getting the "graded" rotor.

It is also possible to have a 1200, but not likely. If you have a 1200, the 1300 will be better - you might be able to see it on the track (more likely at the end of the run). If you have a 1285 right now, you probably wont see anything.

There is some discussion about how having too strong a rotor in 17.5, I haven't raced any 17.5 single cell to find out. I don't think it is 1300 though :-).
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default Looking for those who've experienced the new B-A-B 17.5T with cermaic bearings & 1300

Just as the title says...

Novak Ballistic 17.5T
Ceramic Bearings
1300+ Graded rotor

Anybody have experience using this combo?
Most importantly, what kind of advantage, if any, can this combo give someone?
Does it have better performance than a stock ballistic 17.5T?

Looking forward to hearing from anybody.
thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.