Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should timing boost ESC's be legal for spec/stock classes? >

Should timing boost ESC's be legal for spec/stock classes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should timing boost ESC's be legal for spec/stock classes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Champion

Never did...that's why Tekin had to come out with the RS...the R1 just couldn't run 17.5 motors without cogging.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
hi, has anyone compared their laptime with using a good esc (w/o timing boost) then with an esc (w/ timing boost) and what was the result?

i would think for most racers it will not make a difference. and maybe for top racers worth 2/10s per lap at best on a 13 sec lap on 13.5T brushless?

maybe more time can be gained by tuning the car rather than worrying about escs that provide marginal advance (if you are a good enough driver to take advantage of it)

just my personal opinion, these new escs make no difference to the average club racers like myself. it will not make me faster.

thoughts?
It really depends on the track. Smaller carpet tracks there may be little to no difference. Timing boost really makes a difference on bigger tracks.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
It really depends on the track. Smaller carpet tracks there may be little to no difference. Timing boost really makes a difference on bigger tracks.
Absolutely. Our track is one where of those where the difference is impossible to tell.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Should boost/turbo be legal for racing? Absolutely not. Racing, no matter what form, is supposed to boil down to one variable........the person.

Would the winner of a Nascar/F1/Supercross race still retain the title if they were found to have a timing advance system on their car?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayeddy

Would the winner of a Nascar/F1/Supercross race still retain the title if they were found to have a timing advance system on their car?
Depends if its in the rules or not. In the case of RC there is nothing in the rules preventing it.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
hi, has anyone compared their laptime with using a good esc (w/o timing boost) then with an esc (w/ timing boost) and what was the result?

i would think for most racers it will not make a difference. and maybe for top racers worth 2/10s per lap at best on a 13 sec lap on 13.5T brushless?

maybe more time can be gained by tuning the car rather than worrying about escs that provide marginal advance (if you are a good enough driver to take advantage of it)

just my personal opinion, these new escs make no difference to the average club racers like myself. it will not make me faster.

thoughts?
There is definitely an advantage when using the boost function on the Tekin. The difference in lap times is significant even when adjusting amount of boost relative to amount of turbo. I dialed my boost down and turbo to max and dropped a second off of my lap times. (@16-17 second laps) This is a great tuning option to have and varies depending on track size.

If I can gain 2-3 tenths per lap by tuning my car AND 2-3 tenths by tuning my esc, WHY NOT? There's no reason to choose between the two. I gained 3 tenths per lap today by switching tires.

As far as making them illegal. No one wanted to make the LRP illegal when it was outrunning the Tekin. Now Tekin has caught up and it should be outlawed?? The only speed control that should be illegal is the new Advanced Electronics speedo. NOT because it's fast, but because of the price.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Champion

Nascar probably not
F1 yes...so long as they still stayed under the HP and RPM limits in the current rules
Supercross...not sure

At any rate all these organizations have huge resources to use for technical inspection and take a great deal of time to perform them. Neither of which can be done in RC as most races barely survive financially and no one is going to let a tech official hold on to a car for a day or more to properly do a tech inspection. Not to mention even if they did make it illegal it is quite simple to get around a tech inspection by having the ESC default back to a legal profile as soon as you turn off the ESC.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Hasn't F1 already gone to driver adjustable wing positions as well as onboard fuel mapping? The drivers can adjust their cars for different sections of the track as they go.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Should boost/turbo be legal for racing? Absolutely not. Racing, no matter what form, is supposed to boil down to one variable........the person.

All those vehicles you mentioned have ignition timing advance, just sayin
Old 11-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
All those vehicles you mentioned have ignition timing advance, just sayin
Street cars and motorcycles have ignition advance on them, diesels use fuel injection timing advance.
Lawnmowers and Subaru's don't
Old 11-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Street cars and motorcycles have ignition advance on them, diesels use fuel injection timing advance.
Lawnmowers and Subaru's don't
or the Tonkas
Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
or the Tonkas
I drive a Tonka.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Hasn't F1 already gone to driver adjustable wing positions as well as onboard fuel mapping? The drivers can adjust their cars for different sections of the track as they go.
No...moveable aerodynamics is still banned in F1. They do have different engine mappings though to save fuel or not. Typically it isn't used per section of the track but for when they need to conserve or not.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
No...moveable aerodynamics is still banned in F1. They do have different engine mappings though to save fuel or not. Typically it isn't used per section of the track but for when they need to conserve or not.
Thanks. I'll go back to my corner now.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Let the technology develop on its own. Making rules that restrict the evolution of better technology won't do anything to help the hobby. The racetrack is where the vast majority of R&D goes on. Without racing, there is no incentive to generate better products. All you get then is more bling for bashers.

Let the 17.5 class be. As a few have said, racing is about the person. Well that does go for driving but don't forget that successful racers are also those who can dial in the perfect setup every time. The esc is just another dimension of tuning. If someone can figure out what the perfect settings for a certain type of layout are, more power to them .

On the issue of 17.5/13.5/Mod... They are really all considered an "expert" class. To go fast they all require a significant investment in equipment and a steep learning curve of setup skill. Adding a Sportsman class could be set up by requiring the "default profile." Speedo makers could install an led of a different color that lights up when the default profile is selected. Teching is easy, just park it after the race at the directors table and he can visually see the colored led without any invasive tech proceedures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.