Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Company Representative

Contact [email protected] for help with this---we can replace the BB or your Kinetic.

Originally Posted by macdude
? The reset does not change the RPM values. So I guess I don't know what doing the one step setup would do. I will give it a try. But the problem I am having is getting the settings to the ESC. Not changing what the software says. It will change the values, but everytime I reconnect the old values are there. And yes I have sent them to the controller, I think it is probably the brain board. And although I already got a replacement, they seem really sensitive and easily damaged. I have several ESC's... ok I have every major ESC brand that you can update with a computer. Never have I had this much trouble with any of them. I appreciate the complexity of what Novak has done with the kinetic, but I feel that the brain board is flawed.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'll throw this out for what it's worth. I too have replacement brain boards after updating to 1.4.2 made the esc unresponsive. Charlie indicated that the new boards were probably 1.4.2 but couldn't be positive. I know now that they were 1.4.1 because the temp data was still not functioning. This past weekend I tried setting the end rpm to 18000 and couldn't change it back. What caught my eye was the 18002 number mentioned because that was the setting I had after entering 18000 even.

Since I had a spare board, I tried flashing the esc with the same rdd that caused the original blackout, and again it made the esc unresponsive. Duh!

I was on Novak's site yesterday and saw the low res Novalink software, and since I use a netbook, I made the swap. The rdd in the new software was 1.4.2 so I put the dead board back in, updated the firmware, and behold the dead board again became functional. I checked the end rpm, and it was still at 18002. So I changed the value and it did retain the new setting.

My advice would be to use one of the new self-installing versions of Novalink and update the firmware. Be sure to uninstall your current version and any left over folders first. The real miracle to me was that I could revive the dead board. My guess would be that it is an issue with 1.4.1. After all the problems we have been having, I have to say that the new software was a no brainer, worked perfectly.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GLOWHEAD
I'll throw this out for what it's worth. I too have replacement brain boards after updating to 1.4.2 made the esc unresponsive. Charlie indicated that the new boards were probably 1.4.2 but couldn't be positive. I know now that they were 1.4.1 because the temp data was still not functioning. This past weekend I tried setting the end rpm to 18000 and couldn't change it back. What caught my eye was the 18002 number mentioned because that was the setting I had after entering 18000 even.

Since I had a spare board, I tried flashing the esc with the same rdd that caused the original blackout, and again it made the esc unresponsive. Duh!

I was on Novak's site yesterday and saw the low res Novalink software, and since I use a netbook, I made the swap. The rdd in the new software was 1.4.2 so I put the dead board back in, updated the firmware, and behold the dead board again became functional. I checked the end rpm, and it was still at 18002. So I changed the value and it did retain the new setting.

My advice would be to use one of the new self-installing versions of Novalink and update the firmware. Be sure to uninstall your current version and any left over folders first. The real miracle to me was that I could revive the dead board. My guess would be that it is an issue with 1.4.1. After all the problems we have been having, I have to say that the new software was a no brainer, worked perfectly.
Thanks but I have tried pretty much everything. I am going to email charlie tomorrow and see what I can work out.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys,

In case you didn't pick up an earlier post here's a mild reminder. If you have a "Pre" 1.4 ESC, please email me directly with your Address and current ESC serial Number. [email protected] Thanks.

Also, here's a little update for you 12th scale 13.5 drivers:

Baseline starting Power Profile Rolled out 57-61MM depending on track size.

RPM: 2000- 7500
Timing: 40'
Boost on @ 400ms

Drag brake to you liking
Minimum Drive 15% (Max)

Motor set to 15' static timing on the label. Adjust up or down for motor temps as testing dictates.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Subscribe
Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Charlie
Hi guys,

In case you didn't pick up an earlier post here's a mild reminder. If you have a "Pre" 1.4 ESC, please email me directly with your Address and current ESC serial Number. [email protected] Thanks.

Also, here's a little update for you 12th scale 13.5 drivers:

Baseline starting Power Profile Rolled out 57-61MM depending on track size.

RPM: 2000- 7500
Timing: 40'
Boost on @ 400ms

Drag brake to you liking
Minimum Drive 15% (Max)

Motor set to 15' static timing on the label. Adjust up or down for motor temps as testing dictates.
Hey Guys....

Just want to follow up on this post by Charlie since it seems like my setup.

It really has been a super setup and gearing at 57mm on a track with about an 85ft straight the the temps have been good in the 150s but with 20 deg timing on the motor.

The Ballistic motors have been responding great to 15 to 20 degrees timing depending on the track and gearing. Overall it seems like static and dynamic timing combined at about 60 deg is working great.

I tested drag brake quite a bit since it seems like the Tekin guys are using bigger numbers but it seems their brakes are not as aggressive as the Kinetic. I was originally using 6% on the brakes and upped it to 8% and it was enough to notice a major difference.

If you have a larger straight I would suggest trying 15 deg on the motor and gearing up more around 61mm and go from there as everything is a balance.

Any questions let me know.

Jeff
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

To update or to not update.. that is the question.

From 1.3 to 1.4 was a royal headache.. board did not respond until 10 flash.

Now were at 1.4.2 and im running 1.4. Is this going to be easy or am I playing russian roulette?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Charlie plans on making a video to add to our collection, focusing on "How to Program the Novak Kinetics".
Thank's and when will that be release ?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Jeff!

Flash; Not anytime "soon", but it's on the list. By the time I get it done, everyone will know how to use it I'm sure..... LOL.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Im a long time gtb user that just got a kinetic and havok pro sc. Using them both for 17.5 super stock short course racing so I need all the battery it can handle. Is there a limit for these esc's? I know they have these crazy c ratings out.( 65 etc). looking to get the 5600 50c pro/tek
Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by leebolt
Im a long time gtb user that just got a kinetic and havok pro sc. Using them both for 17.5 super stock short course racing so I need all the battery it can handle. Is there a limit for these esc's? I know they have these crazy c ratings out.( 65 etc). looking to get the 5600 50c pro/tek
the kinetic is a "high end" esc. It can handle any 2cell lipo you throw at it
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Charlie
Thanks Jeff!

Flash; Not anytime "soon", but it's on the list. By the time I get it done, everyone will know how to use it I'm sure..... LOL.
Next up is testing with World GT and 2WD truck offroad.....

One thing I noticed about programming the ESC is there are two different screens, and it seems like a good idea to UPDATE the esc on one screen before moving to the other screen to make more changes.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leebolt
Originally Posted by ed517
the kinetic is a "high end" esc. It can handle any 2cell lipo you throw at it
I've been running Fantom 65c since October....works great.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Charlie,

I sent you an email with my pre 1.4 kinetic serial and description of my issues.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Company Representative

Default NovaLink V 1.4 Upgrades

New Graphical User Interface (GUI)
The NovaLink GUI has been completely redesigned with a modern, streamlined look. Entering custom adjustments for your ESC has never been easier.

Current Limiter RPM Trip Point
The NovaLink’s Current Limiter has been outfitted with a trip point option, allowing drivers to program their speed controller’s Current Limit to turn off after reaching 5000 RPM or higher. This feature helps racers achieve both control and high speeds.

Custom Timing Ramp Up
In version 1.3, the timing ramp up setting was defaulted to factory setting—which is a sophisticated algorithm, providing timing in incremental steps between the Timing Start RPM and the Maximum Timing RPM. Now, experienced drivers can customize the steps under the Advanced Settings Tab to their exact specifications.

Custom Notes Storage
Users can now store notes related to their speed controller’s setup. This notes section stores the vehicle’s name, spur, pinion, motor, tire size and final drive ratio settings. These specs can be stored along with the speed control’s personalized parameters to be recalled later.

Auto Run Installation*
For first time NovaLink users, the NovaLink 1.4.2 is available, featuring an auto-run installation. Install the NovaLink software on your PC faster and easier with the help of Novak’s newly implemented feature.

Compatible with Smaller Laptops & Netbooks
NovaLink 1.4.2 software is now compatible with smaller computers with a lower resolution display, allowing NovaLink use to become more mobile.

Compatible with Window 7 64-bit
In addition to Windows® XP™ (32 bit), Windows Vista™ (32bit) and Windows 7™ (32-bit), the updated NovaLink 1.4.2 is now compatible with Windows 7™ (64-bit) operating system.

Bug Fixes
All reported software bugs as of February 10, 2011 have been fixed for smooth operation.

NovaLink Programing Interface

**From our recent Press Release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.