Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magneto
Thank you Johnny for your answer, i tried to upload a pre-build program but still the same result.

As soon as i hit the update button, this message: "An error occured when converting data for transmit. Please reset values and try again. Lenght can not be less then zero. Parameter name: Length"
On the background the running circle is present but nothing is happening, and it can only be stopped by clicking the disconnect button.

When i program the esc by use of the switch everything works fine and run perfect.

I'm i still doing something wrong here?
Ok, try this. Can you get the basic interface screen showing all your settings? If so, once your in, hit the "RESET" on the upper right hand side of the "settings" screen, then go to the "advanced" screen and at the very bottom select the "timing reset faults" option and pick the 13.5/2s option, go back to the "settings" screen and hit the update, you should get the update in progress circle, then at least we will know if your able to do any update writes to the speed control. Also if you could post what your settings are in your script or post your program profile and I could try to load it to my speed control and see if I get the same error messages.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nerdling
got an interesting error on the weekend.

Pluged the Novalink in, got a message to update to version 1.3. I've allready done this. Is this a sign of an underlying problem?
I get this one a lot but have had no issues with it, just a bug. And thats with the battery always unplugged.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Just tried to update like you said, but i still get the error as soon as i hit the update button. When i close the error screen it's followed by a small blank window with no text and just an "ok" button.
I think update program can write to the esc because i successfully updated from ver 1.1 to ver 1.3
But i doubt the novalink software can.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Magneto
Just tried to update like you said, but i still get the error as soon as i hit the update button. When i close the error screen it's followed by a small blank window with no text and just an "ok" button.
I think update program can write to the esc because i successfully updated from ver 1.1 to ver 1.3
But i doubt the novalink software can.
Just to make sure, check that your cable is plugged into the NL with the right polarity, there is a small black pen mark on the NL and this should be the black wire of the speed control. Check that while I ponder for a bit.

Also do you get the "connected" message on the upper right hand side of screen when you are connected to the speed control?

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 11-03-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

You may have to reload 1.3 to your speed control and start from the beginning again, just a thought.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Is it possible to update the firmware to automatically turn off the fan when updating, instead of requiring the user to unplug this device?
My fan connection is buried under assembly and becomes a very large hassle to follow this recommendation.

Also may I ask why (just because I dont follow the logic) the different manufactures I have seen dont have a USB plug on board VS the dongle adaptor that is required and costs a little more scratch than would seem necessary? :frown: Why isn't this just included?

My friends castle creations mamba max has the USB on board the controller, this just seems very logical, and he didn't have to pay a proprietary tax to use the functionality of his expensive device! And yet even their new devices now seem to require the dongle.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Initiate

What is a good recommended temperature buffer to give this device to help assure the device does not exceed the recommended high temp threshold?

Another question about the novalink software is there a chance the temp telemetric data could please have a time stamp on them if this is possible? I assume the device is somehow aware of time and relaying this info back to the software.

And would a user definable time table of temp data be a reasonable enough request?
Something that would let the user logicaly say time = x amount of time and be able to split the times/data points up equally, and even a user definable capture algorithm that would help make better useful temp data over the duration of a run?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rotarypower101
Is it possible to update the firmware to automatically turn off the fan when updating, instead of requiring the user to unplug this device?
My fan connection is buried under assembly and becomes a very large hassle to follow this recommendation.

Also may I ask why (just because I dont follow the logic) the different manufactures I have seen dont have a USB plug on board VS the dongle adaptor that is required and costs a little more scratch than would seem necessary? :frown: Why isn't this just included?

My friends castle creations mamba max has the USB on board the controller, this just seems very logical, and he didn't have to pay a proprietary tax to use the functionality of his expensive device! And yet even their new devices now seem to require the dongle.
I don't know the exact reason for requiring a dongle (USB adapter) however in my experience, as I have owned several mamba max controllers I found the built in USB plug to be very difficult to use. Most of the time the controller installation would make it impossible use the plug. But the upside to the dongle from Castle is that they give it to you for free with the MM pro. You have to request it via coupon in the mail, but it is essentially comes with the controller. On top of that it is only 124$.

The other consideration, is that the kinetic, and RS can be programed without any dongle, especially the kinetic as you can set everything via the lights. So it is not as necessary as with the mamba controllers.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Yesterday, we uploaded the interim SW patch for the Kinetic 1S esc for users with the NovaLink:

NovaLink Downloads

For those of you without the NL, we can send you a new plug-in "brain" board with the micro programmed with this new firmware update. Those of you who would prefer the brain board option, please PM me your mailing address and I will get one out to you.
what exactly is this update suppose to fix or change.

I downloaded as per the instructions on the website, all went well, it even loaded the new firmware, however when it finished loading, i had no lights whats so ever on the esc. so i's unplug the novalink, shutdown the novalink program, restart, plug in the novalink, and i get all the lights flash (less then 1/2 a sec) then blue green for a sec, then red yellow double flash, then green red and no connect screen. I try over and over several times nothing, or I should say, same ole thing everytime.

so I says to meself, self, wonder what would happen if you plug in the 2s, did i mention the first esc was the 1s, anyway, I plug in the 2s, works perfect, everytime. try the 1s nothing. I'm bummed as theres a big race this weekend and this setup was money. I will uninstall the whole program and start over with out the up date, so back to the orginal question,

what is the update for and or suppose to do?

other then this, very happy with the product.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skypilot
what exactly is this update suppose to fix or change.

I downloaded as per the instructions on the website, all went well, it even loaded the new firmware, however when it finished loading, i had no lights whats so ever on the esc. so i's unplug the novalink, shutdown the novalink program, restart, plug in the novalink, and i get all the lights flash (less then 1/2 a sec) then blue green for a sec, then red yellow double flash, then green red and no connect screen. I try over and over several times nothing, or I should say, same ole thing everytime.

so I says to meself, self, wonder what would happen if you plug in the 2s, did i mention the first esc was the 1s, anyway, I plug in the 2s, works perfect, everytime. try the 1s nothing. I'm bummed as theres a big race this weekend and this setup was money. I will uninstall the whole program and start over with out the up date, so back to the orginal question,

what is the update for and or suppose to do?

other then this, very happy with the product.
Hello Skypilot
I just downloaded the the firmware from our website and re-programmed a Kinetic with that firmware and everything seems to be working correctly.
The light sequence you are describing shows everything got programmed correctly.
It seems the esc is not gettiong throttle PPM signal from the receiver.
This firmware is a fix for the false Lipoly voltage cutoff some of you are experiencing.
I have added some more filtering to the voltage monitoring routine.
Adnan
Novak Engineering
Old 11-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

thanks, sent Novak Two Pm with phone and email info

the light sequence is when trying to hook up the novalink, the esc still works when plugged into the rcvr.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

I have identified the problem and should have the updated outloada13.rdd file should be on our server in about an hour.
The name of the file has not changed, compile time 11/4/2010 1:27pm.
I would like to thank Sky pilot in helping us solve this problem.
Adnan Khan
Novak Engineering
Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Version 1.3 ouloada13.rdd (V2) is on on-line now.
V2 address the PC serial communication problem.
Compile time 11/4/2010 1:27pm.

Adnan Khan
Old 11-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

now thats service, thanks guys, awesome job.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by escman
Version 1.3 ouloada13.rdd (V2) is on on-line now.
V2 address the PC serial communication problem.
Compile time 11/4/2010 1:27pm.

Adnan Khan
Is this just for the 1S version?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.