Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would be the first in line for an electric automobile if it had a Novak Kinetic controlling it. I got off to a rocky start with mine, buts its been amazing since in my sc10.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcannon409
I would be the first in line for an electric automobile if it had a Novak Kinetic controlling it. I got off to a rocky start with mine, buts its been amazing since in my sc10.
Oh don't get me wrong rcannon409, my son and I have been doing RC on an off for 15 years and we've never used any other brand than Novak. And in that time we've generally been pretty happy. Sure there have been issues but they've been minor and easy to fix or work around, which is why running into a snag like this seems so unexpected and frustrating. The Kinetic was a great idea for a product and I was looking forward to it with great anticipation but I'm it seems the usb programming interface is not quite "right" or atleast it hasn't been with the one's I've had.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redbeard
Oh don't get me wrong rcannon409, my son and I have been doing RC on an off for 15 years and we've never used any other brand than Novak. And in that time we've generally been pretty happy. Sure there have been issues but they've been minor and easy to fix or work around, which is why running into a snag like this seems so unexpected and frustrating. The Kinetic was a great idea for a product and I was looking forward to it with great anticipation but I'm it seems the usb programming interface is not quite "right" or atleast it hasn't been with the one's I've had.
If you read through this thread you will see that there are a lot of posts about the interface and what it gets right and where it falls short. The fact of the matter is that this has been rushed due to them being about a year behind others like Tekin and Castle. And the only one that really has a good interface that works every time I use it is Castle. And that is because they have been doing it for longer than the rest (all their controllers use this interface). Plus they have no one to please. Racers in general are whinny, but the software currently offered by novak is (and they know this) not up to par. But neither is the Tekin software for that matter. My approach would have been if I could not have gotten the software interface to work was just to use the lights until they got everything figured out. While the update process is not elegant, I have had very little trouble getting it to work. The latest update coming in v1.4 seems like it should solve most of the connection issues. The only real gripe I have at this point as I believe most of the other issues will be fixed when they get the interface complete is the corruption if the battery is plugged in. I don't understand why the brain board is so easily damaged when it is updating with the battery plugged in. This seems like a design flaw. Or the least they could do is program a warning into the interface if it detects power from the battery.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Connection test = Had to connect and disconnect the NL usb device several times to enable step 2 of connection test to pass but the ESC doesn't connect. All LEDs on the ESC come on for a second and then go out.

Following the process you suggested for connecting to the NL ends with the same results as above, despite giving the ESC extra time to connect, trying the switch multiple times, and ensuring all connections are correct.

When I received the current replacement ESC I went to the Novak downloads page to ensure there weren't any updates I needed and updated my NL to version 1.4 , as the page suggested ("Please update your NovaLink device to be compatible with NovaLink 1.4"). I was later told by Novak that this update is actually only intended to for those who are beta testing the 1.4 firmware and is not compatible with the 1.3 firmware which was loaded in the ESC. I was sent another which did allow me to communicate with the ESC as I described earlier. So I don't know that anybody who isn't beta testing should be updating their gear.

I'm using a Dell XFRD630 Latitude Laptop running Win 7 (64 bit) with all Novak software being run as Admin and in Win xp sp3 compatibility mode.

Incidentally I've tried following the same process on a laptop using Win 7 starter (32 bit) and a PC running native Win XP sp3. Neither of which provided an a different result than I'm getting with the D630 running Win 7 (64 bit) so I don't think it's an OS issue.

I agree. This shouldn't be such an issue. I don't know if there's a benefit to it but, I may as well be a beta tester at this point.
This sounds more like your not actually getting connection to the NL. I would do a un-install of everything for the NL, and then start from the beginning, BUT, make sure you have completely eliminated all associated files, you can't do this halfway, THEN, I would only install the 1.3 firmware, don't even bother with the 1.4beta. Take note that what your doing here only effects the brain of the NL, it will have nothing to do with the speed control. Don't even have the speed control hooked up when your doing your link test. Until you get a good link test there isn't much use putting the speed control into the mix. The link test should work every time you do it, if it doesn't close the window and re-open it.

*****Also make sure that you have downloaded all the NL drivers as well. When you do the get update, make sure it does the clock count to 999 and leave it hooked up until it tells you its complete, this can take a couple minutes, but will give you a message back, if it doesn't it either did not download successfully or a security setting did not allow it to download. Go back a couple of pages, another user had similar issues and has a good explanation on how to fix that.

Until we can get you a good link not much sense working on the spped control issue.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by macdude
If you read through this thread you will see that there are a lot of posts about the interface and what it gets right and where it falls short. The fact of the matter is that this has been rushed due to them being about a year behind others like Tekin and Castle. And the only one that really has a good interface that works every time I use it is Castle. And that is because they have been doing it for longer than the rest (all their controllers use this interface). Plus they have no one to please. Racers in general are whinny, but the software currently offered by novak is (and they know this) not up to par. But neither is the Tekin software for that matter. My approach would have been if I could not have gotten the software interface to work was just to use the lights until they got everything figured out. While the update process is not elegant, I have had very little trouble getting it to work. The latest update coming in v1.4 seems like it should solve most of the connection issues. The only real gripe I have at this point as I believe most of the other issues will be fixed when they get the interface complete is the corruption if the battery is plugged in. I don't understand why the brain board is so easily damaged when it is updating with the battery plugged in. This seems like a design flaw. Or the least they could do is program a warning into the interface if it detects power from the battery.
Although I do agree with some of what you say, some things are out of the control of any of the speed control makers. All we have to look at is the download process itself, not being able to control the facility that every
user runs on can only mean that any download is vulnerable to data drop out or corrupt file download. Some run on high speed while others still use dial up, so the system is only as good as the pipe its running on. Choked networks, shared networks, corrupt file shared networks, security enabled networks who knows what your actually trying to download on, its a miracle any of it works.
Now as far as the Mamba goes, guess its the circles you run in, I know of people with similar issues, useless interface modules, no longer able to program thru the smart programmer, etc. I think the reason they don't get as much feedback about it is based on the pricing of the unit itself. What I mean is the price point means most will replace it over repair, or will try something new and more complex. (Not saying the MM isn't complex, but different). It does amaze me that we continue the put these small microprocessors into such harsh environments and continue to expect them to work, rug racing and static being the worst.
I also think that the Novak isn't the only one out there that requires the power to the unit be disconnected, not sure if they use some sort of failsafe system to ensure this happens though.
(Have you worked on your brake problem yet K1S or still working on your other deal?)
Old 12-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Agree 100% if I found out they were intoxicated when they made the software, it would not surprise me.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Wouldn't it be great if Novak posted some sort of development report indicating the time line for release of V1.4? Let us know that somebody is working on developing this thing or am I visiting the Novak web site daily just for the heck of it... I understand it takes time to get it right, but it would be nice to know what is going on...
Old 12-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm using a Dell XFRD630 Latitude Laptop running Win 7 (64 bit) with all Novak software being run as Admin and in Win xp sp3 compatibility mode.

Incidentally I've tried following the same process on a laptop using Win 7 starter (32 bit) and a PC running native Win XP sp3. Neither of which provided an a different result than I'm getting with the D630 running Win 7 (64 bit) so I don't think it's an OS issue.
Did you update to he latest .net framework. I had to update the 64 bit framework from the Microsoft website.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JBM Racing
Wouldn't it be great if Novak posted some sort of development report indicating the time line for release of V1.4? Let us know that somebody is working on developing this thing or am I visiting the Novak web site daily just for the heck of it... I understand it takes time to get it right, but it would be nice to know what is going on...
Novak is done with the development work and we are currently testing the software, several of our racers are track testing the 1.4 firmware. We should be uploading the firmware and the computer software on our web site in January.

Thank you all for your patience.
Adnan
Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Cool

Originally Posted by JBM Racing
Agreed, however I was provided this info last week: "We're right in the middle of testing 1.4, have been for a few weeks now, so I don't have an official ETA, but when we do, it will be no Secret I can assure you."

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Did you update to he latest .net framework. I had to update the 64 bit framework from the Microsoft website.
I have the D630 running Win 7 set to run OS updates automatically but I just confirmed that it is installed.

I suppose I should also mention that I recently borrowed a functional Kinetic 2s from a friend and I was able to update it successfully ~ although I have to cycle the switch multiple times to get the ESC to initialize so I can update it. However the one I have still wont initialize so I can update it. I'm in the process of working it out with Novak support. When I do I'll post an update.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by escman
Novak is done with the development work and we are currently testing the software, several of our racers are track testing the 1.4 firmware. We should be uploading the firmware and the computer software on our web site in January.

Thank you all for your patience.
Adnan
Any possibility of getting a new brain board? Everything works except the brakes. I have been running it this weekend in a buggy and it is pretty good, but the brakes are really weak. I think I may have damage the brain board when I updated with power to the unit. Not really sure how to test this out though as everything else seems to function as expected.

I also noted that profile 2 can not be adjust through the lights. Is this normal.

thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Any possibility of getting a new brain board? Everything works except the brakes. I have been running it this weekend in a buggy and it is pretty good, but the brakes are really weak. I think I may have damage the brain board when I updated with power to the unit. Not really sure how to test this out though as everything else seems to function as expected.

I also noted that profile 2 can not be adjust through the lights. Is this normal.

thanks
Call our cs dept in the morning I am sure we can exchange the brain out for you
Adnan
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

thanks
That is correct you can only adjust profile 2 via the novalink
Adnan
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by escman
Call our cs dept in the morning I am sure we can exchange the brain out for you
Adnan
Thanks I will.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

I was running my Novak kinetic yesterday at the track in a xxx-sct. The truck stopped but the servo still worked. When I got to the truck, smoke was pouring out from under the body. When I got the lid off, and the fire blown out, the capacitor had fought on fire. Does anybody know what could have caused it to burst into flames?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.