Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What is the turn around time on a replacement? If Novak says "ship it back" how long can I expect it to be out of commission? Also, the shipment is only the esc correct? not the motor as well?

Can anyone comment on weather or not I can run the Velineon VXL-3s speed control with the ballistic 5.5 motor???
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcannon409
Do you guys think this cable will work on our Kinetics? It might be nice to not have to disconnect the receiver every time a change is needed.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Castle_Creat...secclinkqc.htm
I don't see why not, it should be just a simple y cable. I was also thinking of putting an extension on the NovaLink because of the number of times the thing needs the plug toggled. There's an idea, put a switch on the thing, those little plugs seem so hard to pull gently. Is there a switch for three wires?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Do you guys think this cable will work on our Kinetics? It might be nice to not have to disconnect the receiver every time a change is needed.

I don't think so, look where the wire goes into the speedo, it has a special connector that I've never seen before the Kinetic. It could definitely be made to work, but I don't think it would as pictured.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Company Representative

Before returning anything for service, please send a detailed description of your problem to [email protected] for assistance.

If we just need to send a new brain board to be installed by the user, we generally include a return envelope for the bad board.

Originally Posted by 99lugnutz
What is the turn around time on a replacement? If Novak says "ship it back" how long can I expect it to be out of commission? Also, the shipment is only the esc correct? not the motor as well?

Can anyone comment on weather or not I can run the Velineon VXL-3s speed control with the ballistic 5.5 motor???
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i'm not sure why you want the extra wiring and plus having to find a place to stuff the castle link, I guess if your running off road it wouldn't be an issue, then theres the question does a castle link work with a novak? sometimes getting to the rcvr wire can be a pain, but wouldn't it be easier to just use the spare wire that comes in the box, just leave it hooked to the novalink and unplug the wire at the esc and not the rcvr. JR makes a really short Y connector that would also work. I was just thinking, using a Y connector you not only would be powering the esc but also the rcvr, It may be fine, but I'm not going to be the first to try it out. my rcvrs cost over 100 bucks. let us know what you do and the results.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Company Representative

No, it will not work. Major differences include our use of a different USB driver and a different microprocessors in our controller.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Company Representative

For those having difficulties programming with the NL:

It is possible that the ESC setup data may have been corrupted during the PC to Nova Link
transmission. Recalibrate the Kinetic by performing OneTouch programming. This will reset all the internal values to our factory default settings. If the ESC works properly, try connecting to the PC again.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Novalink stopped working

Alright, I am at my wits end.

When I first received the Novalink, I installed it with software on disc and it worked fine. Then my ESC went bad and Novak sent me a replacement brain.

Since then, Novalink refuses to see the ESC. Here is what I have tried

1. Uninstall - Reinstall Novalink - I have done this prob 30 times
2. Drivers: Uninstall and reinstall drivers. I've tried every possibility, even going into windows folder and physically dragging the 4 drivers into trash

* Drivers show up in Device Manager and I have checked driver detail and everything looks correct*

3. .net: I have updated, repaired, installed .net 2, 4.. no result

4. I have tried installing driver first, restarting computer. Then installing novalink, restarting computer and launching Novalink then connecting. No success.

5. Novalink : Novak sent me a new Novalink yesterday.. no change.

ESC I have set it back to factory defaults.. nothing.

John @ Novak has been helping me on this and we have both reached a dead end.

Hardware: I have 2 laptops with windows XP 32 bit. I can't get Novalink to work on either. Im thinking that I have been at it for so long that I am missing the simplest thing.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Have you tried using a different USB plug? It's a longshot but you never know.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zrxrxr
Have you tried using a different USB plug? It's a longshot but you never know. __________________ We are human We are one, We are Waking Up The Sun. Schumacher Cougar SV Pro || Speed Passion GT 2.0 LPF || Fantom Ion2 17.5 || Spektrum S6040
Yep.. Tried that as well..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Well have the 1.3 software working but can't update firmware everytime I hit the button a splash screen pops up and goes away just as fast. have uninstalled software a few time and no change
Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sidewaze
Well have the 1.3 software working but can't update firmware everytime I hit the button a splash screen pops up and goes away just as fast. have uninstalled software a few time and no change __________________ Losi 8ight Losi 8ight-T Go Engine 7Port w/ Go EFRA 2047 Ace DS1313 Servos Sidewinder Fuels Boca Bearings The Wife !
Did you check to see if the firmware is inside the novalink folder?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Raman
Alright, I am at my wits end.

When I first received the Novalink, I installed it with software on disc and it worked fine. Then my ESC went bad and Novak sent me a replacement brain.

Since then, Novalink refuses to see the ESC. Here is what I have tried

1. Uninstall - Reinstall Novalink - I have done this prob 30 times
2. Drivers: Uninstall and reinstall drivers. I've tried every possibility, even going into windows folder and physically dragging the 4 drivers into trash

* Drivers show up in Device Manager and I have checked driver detail and everything looks correct*

3. .net: I have updated, repaired, installed .net 2, 4.. no result

4. I have tried installing driver first, restarting computer. Then installing novalink, restarting computer and launching Novalink then connecting. No success.

5. Novalink : Novak sent me a new Novalink yesterday.. no change.

ESC I have set it back to factory defaults.. nothing.

John @ Novak has been helping me on this and we have both reached a dead end.

Hardware: I have 2 laptops with windows XP 32 bit. I can't get Novalink to work on either. Im thinking that I have been at it for so long that I am missing the simplest thing.
did i forget to mention in my post that I took a long break, watched some tv and had a few drinks before getting mine to work.

sounds like you just have something freaky going on, after i deleted mine, when i went back and checked thru everything there were still folders in my documents and still showing in the hard drive files. sounds like maybe you have already tried that, but just in case, just letting you know. did you try what charlie posted, plug the nova link into the esc and use the usb cable as the connect and disconnet point.?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sidewaze
Well have the 1.3 software working but can't update firmware everytime I hit the button a splash screen pops up and goes away just as fast. have uninstalled software a few time and no change
my computer/ C drive/ program files/ novak electronics/ nova link/ delete RDD file, go to novak site download 1.3 firmware (close everything first) unzip, open / then my computer thru nova link again, drag drop rdd file from its window to the novalink window. (don't try and open the rdd just open the folder its in)

close everything, plug usb and novalink in to computer, open novalink program from desktop, plug in esc when it says connected, hit the updat button, it will say unplug esc, unplug it, it update, it should start counting up when finished, it will tell you to plug in your esc, make sure you have the plug going the right way when plugging it in, if backwards the esc will light up and turn off as posted previously by others holding the nova link in your left hand with green lite facing you, white wire goes to the top.
if it doesn't work and you retry, it won't work, you need to close the program and reopen it. this time, when it says unplug esc, unplug the novalink from the usb cable and see if that works, after that, I have no idea.

hope that helps.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skypilot
my computer/ C drive/ program files/ novak electronics/ nova link/ delete RDD file, go to novak site download 1.3 firmware (close everything first) unzip, open / then my computer thru nova link again, drag drop rdd file from its window to the novalink window. (don't try and open the rdd just open the folder its in)

close everything, plug usb and novalink in to computer, open novalink program from desktop, plug in esc when it says connected, hit the updat button, it will say unplug esc, unplug it, it update, it should start counting up when finished, it will tell you to plug in your esc, make sure you have the plug going the right way when plugging it in, if backwards the esc will light up and turn off as posted previously by others holding the nova link in your left hand with green lite facing you, white wire goes to the top.
if it doesn't work and you retry, it won't work, you need to close the program and reopen it. this time, when it says unplug esc, unplug the novalink from the usb cable and see if that works, after that, I have no idea.

hope that helps.
no rdd file and when i go to unzip firmware it says file has been uploaded to directory and still no rdd file. when i try to update firmware pop screen ask to allow and the the other splash screen pops up then away, tried uninstalling again but no change

Last edited by sidewaze; 09-02-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.