Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Chad
I will do the firmware as soon as my Novalink gets fixed. What does the firmware change on the esc? What do you know a difference in the most?
according to the download it just fixed a couple of errors on the setup lights, but it also seems to have fixed my drag brakes not working at all when set from the novalink. I could set them with the lights and they would work, but if I used the link the settings would just go back to none. So that is what I notice the most.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoyle
I ran this weekend at our track using the settings that Steve Lander posted a few pages back; basically max timing with boost on and an FDR of 6.9

The car was pretty fast and the temp was coming in at 78 degrees - a minor concern but it was a cool day. I did, at one point, play with the drive frequency to make the car more 'punchy' but it just didn't feel right.

I don't think that I was just as fast as the GM or Hobbywing but they have been running for weeks now - I am more than happy that I will get there with the Kinetic. And the highest temp on the speedo was flashing blue lights.

I had the start and finish RPMs set at 4000 and 8000 - what are other people using on these?

Good stuff!
Originally Posted by Skitee
I don't run one of these but if I look at what other ESC's are doing with timing advance and turbo/supercharge then I think your RPM range is a little tight, the motor temp would probably drop if you changed nothing else and used an rpm range of something like 4k to 13k. It's going to feel a little softer than before though.
Originally Posted by ed517

Scoyle, if i remember a few posts back, you are running a 10.5 correct. are you using a ballistic motor? a fdr around 7 is a good start but consider your start and end rpm, with these setting u are keeping max timing applied to your motor around the entire track. producing your high temps. I believe this is also causing your lack of punch.(too much timing too soon.) try to work with a start around 7000 and end around 18000. if you want alot of "POP" try the min drive option or custom thr profile (default 2 is the most agressive). let us know how this works. dont forget to temp often
Sorry for the all the quotes, but reviewed post on page 36, both of the answer given to the original user's post suggest "your motor temps would drop if" and "keeping max timing applied to your motor around the entire track. producing your high temps" when the orginal user (Scoyle) posted a motor temp of 78 deg, and blue lights showing on the ESC which comes to temps of 136-147 degrees which isn't a high temp esc range to be concerned with. It was suggested he had high esc temp or high motor temp based on the answers given in the next two posts, this wasn't the case.

I want to clarify in his case, Blue lights on the esc is the second lowest temp range (135+ deg), within reasonable tolerance, with the white light (135 deg or less) for example. Yellow (150+ deg) , Green (170+ deg), & Red (195 + deg) lights esc are the 3rd, 4th, & 5th step up temps, etc.

Blue esc lights temp he got are far below those, and well within safe esc temp range. It be noted that the user is within reasonable temp range motor wise (78 deg) and esc (135+ deg) given his post. There wasn't a high temp concern ESC or Motor wise, due to wrong range of rpm for timing to be applied or gearing, in his case that I can see. Point is, no temp concern there, if that is his stated findings. All within reasonable temp tolerance for motor & ESC, if that is what in fact they were as originally stated. Peformance wise, that may be another issue far as racing goes on the track, but temp wise on both esc and motor side, all was fine far as the setting he used. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

those temps are in range. but he also mentioned it was a "cool day" so by Cali terms thats about 60 or so. now go out on a warm day, say 85ish, and those temps are goin up. when i run at night in that temp range my motor barely sees 130. so we are merely tryning to help him get into the range he should be for the climate conditions he is in. I also took the "78" for motor temp as a type-o. after 15 years of racing i have never seen a motor this cool after a run. but hey theres a first time for everything....
Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Tech Regular

Being from the UK my temp quoted was 78 Celcius which comes in around 172 Centigrade which is pretty hot, especially on a cool day

The Kinetic itself was only flashing Blue which indicated to me that it was pretty cool.

I will be trying some of ed517's ideas to get the motor temps down as I would be concerned if it was a hot day.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoyle
Being from the UK my temp quoted was 78 Celcius which comes in around 172 Centigrade which is pretty hot, especially on a cool day

The Kinetic itself was only flashing Blue which indicated to me that it was pretty cool.

I will be trying some of ed517's ideas to get the motor temps down as I would be concerned if it was a hot day.
No biggie but Celsius = Centigrade. What you meant was 172 Fahrenheit
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jay_P
Anyone?

I only ask as with these settings the Kenetic went into meltdown on its forth time out, motor was not damaged in any way
I had same problem. 4th time out I ran a 10.5 Novak SS geared at 6.4 FDR, 30* timing starting at 9500RPM and it ran for 6 laps no sign of drop in performance and running well then stopped dead and the ESC went up in flames!

CML have kindly replaced the ESC but as I have no idea what caused it, I'm a little concerned!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

My Novalink and replacement ESC arrived today. After plugging everything in the Novalink connects and seems to update the ESC. But when starting it up it is as if the one touch programming needs to be done???

Doing this obviously wipes the Novalink settings and returns it to onboard settings?

After updating with the novalink software and disconnecting the esc, when everything is plugged back in to go racing the ESC has blue and yellow and red and white lights on. The red light goes out if you apply throttle but no movement from the motor?

Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for clarifying guys, all makes sense now, lol, now 78 degrees motor temps at 78 C comes out to a scary borderline hot 172 F degree, that makes sense far as motor temps goes, hehe. Yeah, that makes sense far as ESC temps were on a cool Cali day, as opposed to if it was a hotter day.

All right, keep the helfpful info & advice coming. It's Novak or nothing!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
I had same problem. 4th time out I ran a 10.5 Novak SS geared at 6.4 FDR, 30* timing starting at 9500RPM and it ran for 6 laps no sign of drop in performance and running well then stopped dead and the ESC went up in flames!

CML have kindly replaced the ESC but as I have no idea what caused it, I'm a little concerned!!!!
You need to forward complete details to [email protected] for assistance
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
My Novalink and replacement ESC arrived today. After plugging everything in the Novalink connects and seems to update the ESC. But when starting it up it is as if the one touch programming needs to be done???

Doing this obviously wipes the Novalink settings and returns it to onboard settings?

After updating with the novalink software and disconnecting the esc, when everything is plugged back in to go racing the ESC has blue and yellow and red and white lights on. The red light goes out if you apply throttle but no movement from the motor?

Any ideas?
Sounds like you didn't calibrate the throttle high/low/neutral points.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xtraman122
Sounds like you didn't calibrate the throttle high/low/neutral points.
Hi I did this in mode 1 on the onboard setup and in the novalink software it shows the Tx settings as Neutral 1640uS, Low 1973uS and High 1070uS. It seems to recognise the calibration???

Last edited by dvaid852456; 08-25-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Well, I got my replacement Novalink today and it works. Thanks to the Novak Tech support. John is very helpfull, and your service is second to none. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by macdude
No biggie but Celsius = Centigrade. What you meant was 172 Fahrenheit
Yep you're right - definitely meant blooming hot!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Super Happy for "The Chad" getting it all sorted out.

You are going to really enjoy the Novalink-Kinetic combo.

I am a Novak team driver and have been doing massive amounts of testing with the system so if I can answer any questions please feel free to PM me or simply ask and I will do my best to get you an answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.