Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New spec rules in my area...23T brushed or 10.5 brushless? >

New spec rules in my area...23T brushed or 10.5 brushless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New spec rules in my area...23T brushed or 10.5 brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys!

I found out a little more on the new regulations for next season...

He will run Brushed 23T or Yokomo 10.5 brushless in the same class as I mentioned, BUT, he is going to limit the final drive of the 10.5 to 6.00 or higher.

He still said that the 10.5 at 6.00 is still a bit faster than the 23T on it's optimal final drive of 5.5-5.8

So I guess I'll be making the switch next season to the 10.5

I found out the 10.5 is indeed a Sensored motor (saw it today). With that said, can the ESC's with the new timing advance take advantage of a Sensored 10.5, or does it only work with the Sensorless motors?

The 2 ESC's I'm looking at are the Tekin RS, or the LRP SPX.

I'm thinking, if I have to use a smaller pinion to be at 6.00 final drive or above, I can advance the timing on the top end of the motor with the ESC to slingshot down the straight...would that be the proper tuning methodology?

Or does that only work on the Sensorless motors?

- Paulie
Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

LRP SPX on profile 8 with ratio of 6.00 should be in the ballpark already... give it a try...

Perhaps its gonna be higher than 6.00 coz with 11.5 some are already running close to 5.8 - 5.9... give it a go i would say...
Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pgeldz
I found out the 10.5 is indeed a Sensored motor (saw it today). With that said, can the ESC's with the new timing advance take advantage of a Sensored 10.5, or does it only work with the Sensorless motors?

The 2 ESC's I'm looking at are the Tekin RS, or the LRP SPX.

I'm thinking, if I have to use a smaller pinion to be at 6.00 final drive or above, I can advance the timing on the top end of the motor with the ESC to slingshot down the straight...would that be the proper tuning methodology?

Or does that only work on the Sensorless motors?

- Paulie
In fact, most of the timing advance speedos ONLY run with sensored motors. As most people in my area crank up the timing on both the motor and speedo, most people with 13.5's are running over a 6.0 final drive so with a 10.5 it would be even higher. I can't imagine a timing-advanced and properly geared 10.5 being even remotely fair to run in a 23t brushed class. It will be a night and day difference.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Superstock in norway runs 10,5T or 17 brushed

fact is that a brushed needs to be around 12-14T to produce same amount of power.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

11,5 T = 23T stock. so 11,5 very popular at my local track