Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
. Fuel On-Road guys never seem to have this dilemma.
They also don't race on tiny carpet tracks with brittle cars.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
IMO, one simple solution resulting from the maintenance convenience of brushless motors is…"NO MOTOR LIMITS".

Good old fashioned HP will eliminate any advantage generated through a "black-box" technology. If you want a novice class, switch to 540 hand-out Johnson motors ($15) plus there are plenty of steeply discounted brushed motor speedos available on the market that will keep the cost way down for newer / budget / young racers while keeping racing as fair and competitive as possible.

If I was involved with ROAR, this is the direction I would push for electric R/C. Fuel On-Road guys never seem to have this dilemma.
You'll notice this isn't a discussion of the modified classes but the slower classes that you don't have enough power...this is why I say I hate stock, or limited motor classes because it really brings out cheaters and people doing things to go faster.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
In this case the arguement of being a small overseas company is moot...since it was a prototype.
But again, was it a prototype? From what I hear, it is not.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HB Moose
What's next? A hand out speedo for amateur?

No it just has to be that stock is made for non-prototype and separate from "professional drivers"

No offense to Brian who won 17.5 stock...but he won a faster class last year. That speedo and a really good driver in 17.5 is a little bit of a stretch for me. We eliminate the privateer from wanting to race.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

it seems to me it is a GM genius120 with the heatsink and some of the casing dremeld off. And yes it is a good speedo. Can't help it that the germans can build some good stuff as well. The US teams or manufactures should have done a better job then......To whine about your driving in the US and someone is using European stuff and call it illegal is just beyond being stupid. The GM (Graupner) is well represented here and it is not a small manufacturer.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
it seems to me it is a GM genius120 with the heatsink and some of the casing dremeld off. And yes it is a good speedo. Can't help it that the germans can build some good stuff as well. The US teams or manufactures should have done a better job then......To whine about your driving in the US and someone is using European stuff and call it illegal is just beyond being stupid. The GM (Graupner) is well represented here and it is not a small manufacturer.
Are you referring to this?

http://www.redrc.net/2008/10/rc-supe...gm-genius-120/

If so they don't look the same to me. Most obvious being it doesn't have all those capacitors.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I just went through the iic page and saw absolutely NO mention of ROAR rules anywhere. I also saw no mention of prototype parts or any sort of speedo regulations or an approved list. I also see NO mention of "widely available" anywhere. Like it or not, this was NOT a ROAR race, did not use all ROAR rules and therefore any discussion of ROAR rules as they apply to this race is meaningless.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
No it just has to be that stock is made for non-prototype and separate from "professional drivers"

No offense to Brian who won 17.5 stock...but he won a faster class last year. That speedo and a really good driver in 17.5 is a little bit of a stretch for me. We eliminate the privateer from wanting to race.
The only class that was for privateers only was 17.5 TC. Other 17.5 classes are all open classes at the IIC.

Should all 17.5 classes at the IIC be amateur only? That's a discussion for a different thread I guess....
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a question, did anyone ask Calandra what they were doing? He's usually pretty open about this stuff.

Another point with this turbo mode, is it possible that it's not an increase in voltage, but what could best be described as dynamic timing? Think about it, low timing in the slow parts of the track, then advance the timing a bunch in the straight. That's not only fair, but legal.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
yes but there is a black version as well. i think the older gm120 had purple casing. The new one is black . And the caps you can take off and use something else?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
yes but there is a black version as well. i think the older gm120 had purple casing. The new one is black .
That looks to have a row of capacitors that the ESC in question didn't have.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml
Another point with this turbo mode, is it possible that it's not an increase in voltage, but what could best be described as dynamic timing? Think about it, low timing in the slow parts of the track, then advance the timing a bunch in the straight. That's not only fair, but legal.
That is what the Tekin turbo is...not sure about other ESCs though.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Are you referring to this?

http://www.redrc.net/2008/10/rc-supe...gm-genius-120/

If so they don't look the same to me. Most obvious being it doesn't have all those capacitors.
That capacitor plate is pretty freakin ingenius. it solders on the outsides of the +/- ESC posts. Its easily removed.

http://www.racingfactory.fi/products...r-Plate-101250
Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

the speed control is made by advanced electronics out of sweeden. the same company that powered brian to his stock national championship in omaha in 2008.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
That capacitor plate is pretty freakin ingenius. it solders on the outsides of the +/- ESC posts. Its easily removed.

http://www.racingfactory.fi/products...r-Plate-101250
Does look neat. another difference is that the wires aren't coming off the ESC in the same order. sounds like this is something else (like the Swedish ESC mentioned above).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.