Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors? >

Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you prefer On road racing indoors, or outdoors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

what are these radical adjustments you must make for outdoors, I was lucky enough to have a air conditioned indoor super high bite asphalt track, (SIR in seattle) and still preferred to go outside and race on a large dusty parking lot, but wait, we blow it off, and lay down a layer of soda, so traction isn't that big a deal, some days the traction is better then others but so what. best part of racing outdoors, is the large group of people that gather to watch and some even join in. indoors.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, see all we did was spray some soda along the "optimal" driving line, and traction was still pretty bad. Plus the mosquitoes during tear down were annoying.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am not a fan of carpet, put I like tarmac indoors and since said that we can't beat what we have a SpeedWorld, IMO tarmac out doors is my favorite.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Gas sedan racing on a purpose built large road course on a beautiful day can't be beat, that being said for consistent electric racing, the indoor carpet track is the way to go. Fortunately I live within a two hour drive of both, TZ Raceway Park and TZ11.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

large carpet like those at the snowbirds or carpet nats are awesome... permanent outdoor facilities are great also specially for nitro

there alwyas a nostalgia of the old parking lot club tracks sponsored by mom and pop hobby shops. I miss those the most. the comraderie built helping put the track together, the spraying of sugar water... yeah. it was like a mini ritual.

Sad I cant find a parkin lot track near my location in Ga... but at least we have a good indoor track at Nexus.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like outdoor permanent tracks since the track is usually in better race conditions and has shaded pit area

I hate doing parking lot races just because of all the gear you need to haul and pack up!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Def indoors. why not be inside instead of the hot ass heat
Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

outdoor in the summer and indoor in the winter
Old 08-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sosidge
I pretty much exclusively race indoors now - mainly because of the unpredictable UK weather.

I've had some great outdoor meetings, but I have also had a number of ruined meetings. Because I don't have that much flexibility in when I can go racing any more due to family, I like to know that the meetings I go to will be consistent and won't turn into a tyre-swapping-electrics-drowning lottery.

Seems I'm a big wuss about the rain!
+1, I have raced indoors now for about a year/18 months.

I don't like racing in the wet, have seen a few outdoor races i've been to cancelled because of the weather, or wonder if my car is going to be ok on a wet track.

I had hypethermia (sp) when I were 11 or so whilst fishing, and ended up in hospital for a week , so i've always been wary since then of being outdoors enjoying a hobby.

I don't like racing in the cold either, there's no fun in standing around and getting cold!

Several layers of clothing when you're not seeing the temperature get above 1 degree is not keeping me warm, or giving me the mojo to race...
Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Yeah, see all we did was spray some soda along the "optimal" driving line, and traction was still pretty bad. Plus the mosquitoes during tear down were annoying.
In the UK, using soda is virtually unheard of to my knowledge... Nothing gets put on a track to improve the grip, except the tyre additve and the dark groove of the tyres.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

I love the sound of the screaching tires when the cars hit the first corner going down the straight. You get that burst of adrenaline, especially when racing TC modified. It just seems more original. Indoor carpet feels generic, but in bad weather or winter conditions I'll settle for it. For me I prefer outdoor Tarmac.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
In the UK, using soda is virtually unheard of to my knowledge... Nothing gets put on a track to improve the grip, except the tyre additve and the dark groove of the tyres.
You guys have real tracks over there though. Ones that form a driving line.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Several layers of clothing when you're not seeing the temperature get above 1 degree is not keeping me warm, or giving me the mojo to race...
Airsoft at -5 degrees is where it's at! That keeps you warm

I mostly race in summer. My fingers went numb outdoors once, and my car kept crashing, so I decided enough was enough, and winter was when you make the money to race in summer
Old 08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking in or out door racing

it's ben to many time were the rain stop state race after driving so far. so it's indoor racing for me
Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Well, here's a pic of the local (about 100 miles away) out door track at Mendip. Brilliant during the summer months, maybe a little unpredictable during the winter months though!

Here's a pic from our local winter series. This is the same venue where we hold the 1/12th national.

So, I guess it's great to be racing outdoors during the summer months we hopefully we get good weather, and then it's great to be indoors during the winter months when it's a bit too cold or wet to go to the outdoor track!

Either way, so long as I'm having a good time racing, and hanging out with racing buddies, then both in and outdoors are great!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.