Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Todd Hodge..aka "Hodgimoto"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Spool setup

Originally posted by jkerr0043
Here's the setup Todd posted a coupld months ago.

Front Suspension

Front toe-0
Ride Height-4.5mm
Camber -1.5
Caster- 2
Kickup- 0
Droop-7mm(had 2.5mm of uptravel)
Front Pivot-2R(yes rear block on front to get straight front pins)
Arm Spacing-Middle
Ackerman-Forward and Flipped
Spool with 41t front pulley
.060 washers under bellcrank ballstud
Chrome ball stud with one gold washer on caster block
Camber Link- #3
Shock Position- #4
Team Losi Low Roll Center
Oil-60wt
Piston-#56
Spring-Green
Shock Length-60.5mm

REAR SUSPENSION

Toe In-2
Ride Height-5mm
Camber -1.5
Droop- 9mm of travel(4mm of travel)
Pivot-2R
Arm Spacing-Back
Camber Ball stud-Black
Camber Link 6/A
Shock Position- #4/Outside on arm
Roll Center-TL Low
Standard rear end
Oil-40wt
Piston-#56
Spring-Blue
Shock Length-65.4mm

Body-Mazda 6
Tire Additive-BG2

I run almost an identical set up to this outdoor and I really like the way the car handles, next week I will be carpet racing with foams and 19t motor using Team Orion control tyres and was wondering if anyone can recommend any changes ( I am going to fit a diff in the ft) .

Thanks Guys
Old 09-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Default Todd so the new car...

must NOT have an enclosed drivetrain. If not, that hurts. I sure wish Losi would have just improved on the XXX-S. Losi could still make some easy upgrade fixes to the XXX-S. Why not have two TCs on the market?

I'm not tring to start anything, but I'm very skeptical about this type of chassis design. After having a HPI Pro 3 with all it's problems and the lack of punch from the Street Weapon, I can't see the advantage in this design. Too many design rules! If it has a layshaft that means more drivetrain mass and more drag. Not good for stockers at the local level. I hope I'm wrong and this is not the case. To me, the XXX-S is the best belted drivetrain out there. Just my2-cents tire:
Old 09-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Default Front Outdrives keep breaking

Hi, I've been using the spool lately but with no success, I keep breaking the outdrives, How tight should the diff screw be? I tighten them a bit hard but is this the correct way? I was wondering because I was racing stock yesterday and I just hit another car and boom, outdrives are gone, it wasn't even that hard when I hit the car, a little bit less than half throttle. I am a bit confused, maybe I'm missing out on something The car hadles great with the spool, that's why I would like to keep using it but I hate changing parts all the time. Thanks for your help
Old 09-25-2004, 08:43 PM
TLRacing

dasupacat-Its right before the worlds.

nitrokid-Well 64 pitch gives you a bit more HP. Also the larger spur helps a lot too.

bryand-email me at [email protected] and I will forward you a good carpet/foam tire setup.

nightbreed-I think you will be surprised how free the drivetrain is. One thing you have to think of is your getting rid of that extra bend in the single belt car. In the two belt car you have only one bend to get around the pulley. Plus you have the ability to run a center oneway. With the drivetrain being open has not caused any problems at all.

fatboyjoe-You have two choices of what you can do. The first one is you can go to steel outdrives however the problem is you are adding a lot of weight to your drivetrain. Second option is to get some Trinity outdrive saver rings and install those onto your spool.If you like the way your car handles with the plastic diff then stick with it and go with the trinity outdrive saver rings. One thing, if you do the saver rings make sure that your cvd pin is free in the outdrive cup after installing the saver rings. The rings tend to compress the outdrives a bit.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Todge, does your cell phone ever stop ringing?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:48 PM
TLRacing

jkerr-i wish it would...I really do!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

just turn it off thats wut i do when my mom trys 2 call me
Old 09-25-2004, 09:06 PM
TLRacing

Yea I could do that but then I have the wife yelling at me when I get home
Old 09-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

well then ur screwed
Old 09-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Default Ya, your right Todd...

I forgot that extra bend. Is the R&D exhausted on the one belt design? I would think an even larger pulley on the belt tentioner and deeper belt teeth would help for it to run even looser. Go with just one larger bearing on the tentioner. Yes, I know, I'm not a engineer. LOL...

Perhaps an adjustable one-way like HPI had made for the Pro 2. That thing was great for slick or high traction. I don't know, Losi making CF chassis? That's just not Losi. Perhaps a sales test run for the new Losi TC flag ship before going molded graphite? I know it's a gamble for Losi to dive into this new design and the costs of molds are expensive. It makes sense. Unless there are pics soon, I'll have to go with the TC4 and l keep my trusty XXX-S for a possible future up grade kit.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

Todge
Do you and the team drivers balance your tires? I run Take-off pre-mounts and found it frustrating just trying to balance one set. Just wondering if it's worth the hassle for a noticeable difference.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

so do not get the 86 go for the 128 and it will give me more hp and speed?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

i like to here from everybody who run 128 on they xxxs
Old 09-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The 128 spur gear is 64 pitch and the 86 is 48 a pitch gear. This refers to how fine the teath are on the gear. You can get the same gear ratio with both. But you have to have the matching pitch pinion gears. 64 pitch is quieter and you have more range in your gear ratio adjustment. But they are easier to strip and harder to set the gear mesh right. Just going to a 128 will not give you more speed. If I were you I'd just use the stock 48 pitch gears and gear your motor to fit the track layout. Ask the fast guys at your track what gear ratio they're running. I assume you're running stock. To figure out the gear ratio you take the size of the spur, divde by the size of the pinion, and multiply that by the internal drive. It you're running the XXXS the internal drive is 1.83.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Todd, is this the new car?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=51239

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.