Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The reason for the lack of mod drivers... >

The reason for the lack of mod drivers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The reason for the lack of mod drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

As his newly appointed campaign manager, I would like to announce that Mr Paul Ciccarello, esq. will be running for the position of R/C Grand Wizard.

Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't buy the "too expensive" argument. Mod motors cost the same as stock motors, same with batteries. Now is the best time ever to run mod, all the the "Factory" guys are running the same stuff you can buy in Hobby shops.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

That's the thing with the expensive route that people get sucked into. I bought the same stuff the pro's use because I can afdford it, but there is a LOT of stuff out there that costs 1/2 the price of my gear, and is still perfectly fine for the "fun" racer to use.
On the track front, I doubt that's the issue really, I think it is more about the sheer power as mentioned. Where can you find a set-up from 5 years ago with a 6x1 brushed, 3700 NiMh, and GTX, that could even get CLOSE to a 4.5 turn with Lipo and RS Pro. That is some major boogie there, the main track in our town also holds nitro racing, and I think the mod guys are on par with them for pace!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Me in mod?

Hey Chicky... you're going DOWN at IIC (provided good ole' work lets me have the time off)!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
I don't buy ... the same stuff you can buy in Hobby shops.
what is the opposite of a 'mythbuster'? a myth propagator? (afterall, isn't that what rctech is used for?)

good to see some of the guys on the actual 'list' (named or not) chiming in.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

As one of the few non-factory guys around that has run mod in the past I'm not buying the cost excuse either. I spent the same amount running mod that I did running stock.

The easiest way to clean out the stock class is to make the class have less prestige. I can remember a time that winning a big stock race simply ment that you were ready for mod. Not very many people bragged about winning stock at big race X. Winning mod ment a lot more.

For me the biggest thing that has changed in my 20 years racing is the speeds. Stock today is pretty much where mod was 20 years ago. Stock was about close racing and driving. Not about speed.

Personally I find that running mod 12th with a reasonably sane motor is easier than running stock because you don't have to be so agressive for the entire run. Looking foreward to running some single cell 12th mod this winter actually.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by schreff
Hey Chicky... you're going DOWN at IIC
I usually have heard such rumors to be about seaball, not Chicky.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Mod at the Local Level, National Level, or both...

Both have problems, some of the precieved solutions work for both levels, others do not.

Ranking System is a must for the National Level, the spobby is languishing in a place that will cause nothign but grief. There needs to be some kind of true professional status. People need to make money from the direct results, not just as a bonus. ( This needs to be Mod, or the Pro class ). How about for National and Regional races.. there is only 1 motor for all the championship classes... period.... all the classes need to be skill delineated and not motor delineated. with a ranking and points system, it can be done...

Speed... for the size and scale of the cars, they need to slow down, across the board. When the slower classes are too SLOW, then there is more of a reason to step up. But the speed that cars are now... why bother... 13.5 is fast and competetive.. Why move on, when all the competetion is at the 13.5 level. As far as privateer mod racers... well, it wears things out faster, your more apt to break things, and more difficult to stay on pace as a wekeend warrior...

I bet with few changes Mod can be back...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Regional Moderator

Oh, I can't race stock, simply because I was born a professional? This is nonsense!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Legend

For me ,I`m waiting ..

Will return to on-road when it is base on experience, not motor`s..
Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I'm too old for mod... 20 years ago when I had reflexes, time to practice, and no responcibilities.. ok... but now, I like to go have fun, see old friends, and try to make an "A" main against those young kids.
The most fun I've had in years racing has been running Slash this summer!! Don't have to worry about new tires every run, it's fixed gearing, repeak the same pack and just go drive!!
1/12 mod would have to have a motor limit (10.5), tire set limit (spec tires), and battery limit before I would consider running it again. If it was up to me I would set a "break out" time. If you go faster then that, that lap doesn't count! Make it so everyone could be competitive.

-Wayne
Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sg1
I'm too old for mod... 20 years ago when I had reflexes, time to practice, and no responcibilities.. ok... but now, I like to go have fun, see old friends, and try to make an "A" main against those young kids.
The most fun I've had in years racing has been running Slash this summer!! Don't have to worry about new tires every run, it's fixed gearing, repeak the same pack and just go drive!!
1/12 mod would have to have a motor limit (10.5), tire set limit (spec tires), and battery limit before I would consider running it again. If it was up to me I would set a "break out" time. If you go faster then that, that lap doesn't count! Make it so everyone could be competitive.

-Wayne
Wayne, if there was a break out time you'd lose because you're too fast!!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
Wayne, if there was a break out time you'd lose because you're too fast!!
Not in mod...lol... I'd be moving over each lap..lol...
Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I race mod. Mod mod mod mod mod mod.......

I think the touring cars need to be better designed for mod. most cars need $$$ to upkeep belts and diffs, etc, and are way too fragile to run week in week out in mod.

Xray belts are ~$20 each. I've seen local drivers go through 3 belts a day in 10.5 foam. that gets pricy quick. My losi rear diff lasts one or two runs max. what a pain.

The current offering of touring cars is definately geared toward the audience, and they consist of "stock" racers. Why over-engineer a car for mod, when 5% of the racing populace will ever run a mod motor in it?

It is also telling, that we have tons of gas 1/10 drivers in colo, but very few mod drivers. It makes me think durability as much as talant and $$ goes a long way to getting the entries up in the class.... Breaking your car 4 out of 5 races does not make for good racing. Plus, thermaling at 4 minutes does not help. We lost a good # of potential mod guys when they found thier speedo's shut down trying to run a 3,5.

i'd love to see a new touring car with lightweight gear diffs, and a bullet proof drive-train and suspension. I'd order one just for mod....
Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Rev
i'd love to see a new touring car with lightweight gear diffs, and a bullet proof drive-train and suspension.
it will happen once the class demands it. the serpent gear diff was pretty exciting, and then they took a dive. i agree that the diffs and suspension stuff can afford an increase in durability.

i still think the cars need to get slower (both stock and mod). if only to keep the tires on the rims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.