R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Belt tricks... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/30217-belt-tricks.html)

ZER01 12-30-2003 01:02 AM

Originally posted by b1gn1k6
Todd Hodge says that cutting off every other tooth on a XXX-S really frees up the drive-train
so if the pros do it, then why not try it for yourself!!!???

Why not wait untill Losi releases one, that's what I want to see. If Todd says it then I somewhat beleive it but untill I try it which I seriously doubt I will be cutting up my belt I will see what the truth about it is. To me, the narrower the better.

JitsuGuy 12-30-2003 01:34 AM

Because, I'd rather have a faster, more efficient car now, rather then later. ;)

J

MikeR 12-30-2003 12:18 PM

Originally posted by proudwinner
Why not wait untill Losi releases one, that's what I want to see. If Todd says it then I somewhat beleive it but untill I try it which I seriously doubt I will be cutting up my belt I will see what the truth about it is. To me, the narrower the better.
Belts will flip over if you make them too narrow:eek:

SalvadoriRacing 01-22-2004 04:51 AM

hello.......

my schumacher has 4mm width belts.....

I'm planing to run narrower belts, I'll try 3mm, if I get a good performance without extreme wearing or broken belts, then I'll try 2.5mm......

Has anybody ever tried to run belt with the width or alike????

pro3racer 01-22-2004 06:38 AM

On the losi belt, whe you cut every other tooth off, it actually makes your car faster. I isn't one of those, efficiency mods, or, it's easier to set up mods, it makes you faster. I'm not a pro, and i can feel it. Basically, when you off the throttle, you roll soo free, you can get so much more corner speed. Actually, i'm underrating this, it's better than i previously said. Doesn't wreck your belt, as long as you cut it right, and it's easy to install. When you rebuild you diff, put the new belt in. i did it on the blue belt, i can't imagine what it would be like on the yellow belt.

AN 01-22-2004 08:18 AM

Hello!

Is this trick when you cut every other tooth off only working on losi cars?

/AN

pro3racer 01-22-2004 08:37 AM

i don't know, i think it's only needed on losi cars though. I haven't seen any other cars with it done, except for losi. Try it on a spare belt, if it works, hey, good for you. I drive a losi, so i don't kon wif it works on other cars.

SalvadoriRacing 01-22-2004 08:55 AM

yep!

i'll buy new separate belts for test....

seaball 01-22-2004 09:52 AM

hey guys,

i haven't tried to cut any teeth off of a belt but, here are some things to be mindful of:

- the losi belts are urethane, and i don't believe that the teeth have any type of coating. for the other cars using the neoprene type belts there are two concerns. these belts have a nylon coating on the drive side (teeth) that resists wear. will cutting the teeth, and putting a ton of discontinuities in the covering cause premature wear or poor tooth strength?

- also the losi car uses a very large layshaft pulley. it's like 20some teeth. most others use 15-18 range,and have less belt wrap than the losi car. the point is that the losi may still have 6 or 7 teeth contacting the pulley versus maybe 4 or 5 for the other cars. will 4 teeth even stand up to a stock motor? if so will the belt tension have to increase, thus negating any effeciency brought about by the painstaking operation?

- if the belt is long (usually a front) and you run it loose, it will have a greater chance of rolling over, so your width may have to be 3mm or greater. conversely, if the rear is narrow, it my want to skip more due to the load transfer durring accelleration.

please let us know how your tests come out, but i'm betting on a 3mm minimum as a rule of thumb.:p

SalvadoriRacing 01-22-2004 10:19 AM

i'll try 2mm and 3mm width too.....

but if running 2mm width belts i get 5minutes without transmission troubles I'll use this every race.....

the 2mm belts here in Brazil costs only 1dollar (the short belt) and 1,50dollars (the long one).....

if i get a better performance I think will be a must run these belts only for racing.....

Tek Nickal 01-22-2004 03:41 PM

Dip the pullys and belts in teflon lube. The teflon will stay on but the grease will come off. Leaving you a shrink and expand free belts. I have done this to diffs also.

SalvadoriRacing 01-22-2004 06:13 PM

AzNDRAGster,

this helps to get a lower friction transmission???

brians11 01-22-2004 06:16 PM

seaball, I run a losi and cut every other tooth on the belt, running it pretty loose a couple weekends ago at the novak race, running mod all weekend (wed thru sun). No belt problems, a lot of bad racing luck, but the belt still performs fine... and the car is sooo much freer now...

lazyboy 01-22-2004 07:04 PM

on my losi i cut every other tooth off the belt and to me it made the car feel slower down the strait and it felt the same in and out of the corners. so idk maybe its just how you drive that makes the belt feel a lil different:weird:

brians11 01-22-2004 07:39 PM

mine felt pretty peppy all over the place with the cut belt...