R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Belt tricks... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/30217-belt-tricks.html)

Barry White 12-29-2003 03:31 AM

Belt tricks...

If anyone has some tricks, do's or do-not's with belts post them here.
How can we make these more efficient.

Speedie 12-29-2003 05:01 AM

I dont know if it works or not but I saw a real fast Losi guy the other day cutting every other tooth off of a belt. Maybe he was just bored.

lem2 12-29-2003 05:10 AM

make it tight

run detergent soap while the toothless side of the belt while it is running, to make it tight.
Actually you can do this on real fanbelts of car to lessen the noise, just be careful your fingers might be caught!!

goop 12-29-2003 06:11 AM

yes you can do that trick to the losi to free up the drive train it really works good.:sneaky:

Cole Trickle 12-29-2003 12:45 PM

Soak them overnight in WD40.

Make the tension right. As loose as possible, without skipping.

I've heard of guys, that sanded their (car :D) belts to be less wide. Haven't tried it, but it sounds promising.

seaball 12-29-2003 01:31 PM

yeah cole, the sanding trick is usually for the backside of the belt. trimming the width is easiest done with a sharp x-acto. i've sanded the backside of the belts and it really free them up to conform to the pullies. it's a meticulous operation that can obviously result in failure of the belt.

alex lopex's cleveland winning xray had it's belts sanded. all the way to the fiberglass. you just have to be careful not to get the fibers wet with solvents or sauce. they seem to deteriorate quickly if this happens. like wet clothes that stretch out.

the wd40 may soften the neoprene, but it will also shrink the belts. i've done this a few times, but it really messes up the mesh. you'll see it if you try to wrap some of the larger pullies >32t. the belt needs to be forcibly drawn into the pulley. and if the belts are tight to begin with, forget about it.

my.02

rtypec 12-29-2003 01:46 PM

Re: Belt tricks...

Originally posted by Barry White
If anyone has some tricks, do's or do-not's with belts post them here.
How can we make these more efficient.

If it's too lose what I do is unhook it and go one hole tighter so that it fits snug on my waist. If it's too tight, I either go one hole out or lose some weight...errr oh transmission belts, nevermind.

MikeR 12-29-2003 02:33 PM

Re: Re: Belt tricks...

Originally posted by rtypec
If it's too lose what I do is unhook it and go one hole tighter so that it fits snug on my waist. If it's too tight, I either go one hole out or lose some weight...errr oh transmission belts, nevermind.
:lol:
You must have been the first to tie your own shoes in preschool ;)

MikeR 12-29-2003 02:44 PM

Originally posted by seaball

the wd40 may soften the neoprene, but it will also shrink the belts. i've done this a few times, but it really messes up the mesh. you'll see it if you try to wrap some of the larger pullies >32t. the belt needs to be forcibly drawn into the pulley. and if the belts are tight to begin with, forget about it.

my.02

I think the teeth are soaking up the wd-40 and expanding on you like a sponge- not really shrinking the belt, just expanding the size of the teeth. I just use a rag and apply wd-40 to the back side of the belt before each run.

ZER01 12-29-2003 02:48 PM

Narrowing up the belt/s will help with effeciency.

seaball 12-29-2003 05:53 PM

i dunno, it may be possible, but i don't believe the pullies to be the culprit. the belts are soaked when removed from the car, and immediately upon re-installation, it is evident that the mesh has been altered.

who knows, but i do agree that application to the back side is the way to go. i used to use paragon a few minutes out from each run just as you do with the 40. the belts seem to be most compliant when they are acutally wet.

black-knight 12-29-2003 05:57 PM

install a shaft?

:lol:

lem2 12-29-2003 06:05 PM

belt tricks

yes that sanding part is worth a try and the cutting of the tooth one every other tooth is worth a try.

I believe we have to treat the belts one way or another, because if some of you guys run Tamiya the aluminum gear diffs, sometimes deform, and the grooves on them that catches the belt widens.

b1gn1k6 12-29-2003 11:31 PM

Todd Hodge says that cutting off every other tooth on a XXX-S really frees up the drive-train
so if the pros do it, then why not try it for yourself!!!???

JitsuGuy 12-30-2003 12:52 AM

I just cut every other tooth on my belt on my Losi, haven't run it yet, but it looks a lot faster. :p

J