Wiki Posts
Search

416 WE made in China

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by veecee
If you think Tamiya and others still manufacture in Japan, you have your head in the sand buddy... In fact I would be very surprised if any of the big players are not manufacturing in Asia or Eastern Europe. Also your stereotypical view on Chinese industry/manufacturing ethics are outdated. Yes there are many who do what you say, but there are just as many that don't.

But I agree - stay away from these copies. Cheap and nasty to say the least...
You don't have one, therefore you cannot apply your opinion. It's actually a great bargain and very competitive.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Steveagle
Lol what i dont get is what makes beginners feel the need to get a Tamiya TRF416 to start out with in the first place. There are plenty of good affordable touring cars out at the moment; Cyclones S, T2R, TA05s etc that are equally competitive but much better quality. I think those people rushing out to buy these clone cars believe that owning a "416" makes you a better driver, but it doesn't.

If i was to get a 416, it would be because i wanted a car that was engineered to be the best. That clone car has virtually no engineering quality in it. Its simply a copy of a good car, made out of crappier quality components.
Oh thanks for the insight, i wasn't sure if the car was made of crappier quality components. Can we see pics of your "crappier quality components"?

Oops! you don't have one! The quality of the components actually is very good seeing, as I own one and have track tested it.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Well i just read your post and you mentioned that some parts would need to be replaced with OEM? So obviously they're not going to be better than the original tamiya parts? So in effect your buying a cheaper quality product are you not? Hence why i wrote "crappier quality components".

I hope you enjoy your 416 clone, its just not for me.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wasn’t arguing the fact that Tamiya does all their manufacturing in Japan, I said they wouldn’t do it China. Tamiya has had more than this car copied and sold out of that country. This is probably one of the reasons why they do most of the manufacturing in the Philippines, where they own the factory and have complete control. But their designs, depending on the car, are still done in Japan and now US.

My “stereotypical” view is based on this example and a few others that have been cloned, or stolen. I have no problems if companies like 3-Racing want to produce their own cars. I think it’s great! They’re doing it with their new F1 (F109) using all the accessories they’ve made for the F103. But they didn’t make an exact copy of the car. It’s their version and I wish them much success. If the company that made the knock-off 416 did it using all their own accessories this would be a different story, but they didn’t. They changed a couple of screws sizes so they could try and side step any issues. That’s BS, not a stereotype, A FACT.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Vyger
I wasn’t arguing the fact that Tamiya does all their manufacturing in Japan, I said they wouldn’t do it China. Tamiya has had more than this car copied and sold out of that country. This is probably one of the reasons why they do most of the manufacturing in the Philippines, where they own the factory and have complete control. But their designs, depending on the car, are still done in Japan and now US.

My “stereotypical” view is based on this example and a few others that have been cloned, or stolen. I have no problems if companies like 3-Racing want to produce their own cars. I think it’s great! They’re doing it with their new F1 (F109) using all the accessories they’ve made for the F103. But they didn’t make an exact copy of the car. It’s their version and I wish them much success. If the company that made the knock-off 416 did it using all their own accessories this would be a different story, but they didn’t. They changed a couple of screws sizes so they could try and side step any issues. That’s BS, not a stereotype, A FACT.
Notice that when I said "stereotype" that I did not refer to THIS car specifically. I recognize with the rest of you that this is a blatant copy of the Tamiya. When I say "stereotype," I refer to the views that older generations have of Chinese manufacturing quality, fundamental Chinese morals, and even of Chinese people.

Do not misquote me.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yub, yub, cmdr!
Notice that when I said "stereotype" that I did not refer to THIS car specifically. I recognize with the rest of you that this is a blatant copy of the Tamiya. When I say "stereotype," I refer to the views that older generations have of Chinese manufacturing quality, fundamental Chinese morals, and even of Chinese people.

Do not misquote me.
This wasn't directed entirely at you. If you where offended I apologize.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Steveagle
Well i just read your post and you mentioned that some parts would need to be replaced with OEM? So obviously they're not going to be better than the original tamiya parts? So in effect your buying a cheaper quality product are you not? Hence why i wrote "crappier quality components".

I hope you enjoy your 416 clone, its just not for me.
yes your right, some of the parts were not the quality you would expect on the genuine car. Just a few parts needed replacement, still making it an excellent value
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it's not for me

i can bust up a genuine TRF416 let alone a cheeper "clone"

hope it works for every one who has bought one like , just prefer a "genuine " article
Old 05-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
I have one and I tested it on assphalt last weekend. I used a Tekin RS, Orion 17.5, Futaba S9451, and KO radio.

It is just as fast as my Cyclone, I let the owner of the track drive it (owner of a real 416) and its just as fast.

Some parts will need to be replaced with OEM. You will need to order these OEM tamiya parts, yes they all fit.

-Diff screw
-5mm x .5mm shim (for ball diff)

Parts I reccomend but are not neccesary:

C-hubs
Steel front CVD's

Overall this car is a steal at $200 shipped. It uses a Cyclone bumper system so if you want the carbon fiber plate order the HPI part. It comes to something like $225 with parts to make it race worthy. Well worth it in my opinion if your on a budget.
do you have a video ?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on how similar the 2 cases are, but check the oople 501 review and you'll see Tamiya even did promotional shots of the car with other companies parts on...

Either way, it's not exactly "innovation", which is an argument people have made against this tourer..

Unless I've missed something these guys have still sources their own tooling/materials haven't they? Or did they use Tamiya's tooling too?
I don't think they use Tamiya's tooling, otherwise this car will be called 416 with label "made in China'
Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
I have one and I tested it on assphalt last weekend. I used a Tekin RS, Orion 17.5, Futaba S9451, and KO radio.

It is just as fast as my Cyclone, I let the owner of the track drive it (owner of a real 416) and its just as fast.

Some parts will need to be replaced with OEM. You will need to order these OEM tamiya parts, yes they all fit.

-Diff screw
-5mm x .5mm shim (for ball diff)

Parts I reccomend but are not neccesary:

C-hubs
Steel front CVD's

Overall this car is a steal at $200 shipped. It uses a Cyclone bumper system so if you want the carbon fiber plate order the HPI part. It comes to something like $225 with parts to make it race worthy. Well worth it in my opinion if your on a budget.
Oh~man..I don't believe you have oneAt the beginning of this thread you asked me whether you can buy online from China and I said probably no, now you are running one,good job dude Would you mind sharing some pictures or video, that will make this car more convincing
Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Here are some Hi-res pics of the TRF416WE chinese replica!
I hopped up the car with 44mm steel uni's up front, Limtied ed. black pulley's, little misc. parts.

Those black center pulley's came stock!

The carbon fibre is actually quite nice! it sands easily
and has stylish looks! The only drawback is all
peices are 2.6mm, top deck, chassis, towers, etc.

Ask questions, request certain pics! Ran awsome on assphalt now I'll be testing on carpet next week!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Hmmm....not bad actually....first glance, looks really like the ori TRF....though I still prefer the REAL 416....doesn't it come with a stabilizer?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

yes it came with sway bars, i prefer the feel of the car without them.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

That is amazing. I didn't expect it to look that well.

Tamiya has a problem on their hands now. Perhaps they become more involved in some of their markets they have neglected or else.

Why did you say you need to replace those items above with OEM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.