Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sounds like you need to seal your diff if there is nothing lubricating in there. Id put some fresh lube in there seal the diff and try again
Old 10-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

I have no lube on my gears and the bearings have been flushed and I can get about 10-15 seconds of wheel spin. I have one spacer on the input gear pushing it towards the rear diff and no spacers on the Diff.

In the Front I have it like the books says but no spacer on the DIff.

I have trimmed the bearing holders.

Lubing the gears slows down the freeness....but makes the gear mesh quieter.

How do you have your stuff shimmed?

Last edited by mike_Webb; 10-24-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Tech Initiate

uh no lube at all that dont sound good does it hurt anything???....and really it spins better and not as loud im might do that for when i race sunday on pavment
Old 10-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

I have not run the car yet..I built the tranny only so far. I broke it in for 45 min with a 10 turn motor at 5amps with 0 timing. I would stop it occasionally to check the gears and nothing.

Then I hooked up my speed controller and ran the car forward and Hard Break for the full pack.

After that was done I took the motor out and spun the tranny and you could really tell a difference beteween the rotation from when I first did it and after breakin.

If any lube got on my gears it would have been from the diff balls. But this is what I have done so far and I see no problems with the white gears.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Tech Initiate

what about the stock gears??? dont the white gears have some kind of lube in the plastic?
Old 10-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Stock Gears that I had last year I never put anything on them. This is my first time with the white gears and I am doing the same thing with them that I did with the stock gears
Old 10-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by vere513
what about the stock gears??? dont the white gears have some kind of lube in the plastic?
No lube, the white ones are just not dyed to have color
Old 10-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by mike_Webb
Stock Gears that I had last year I never put anything on them. This is my first time with the white gears and I am doing the same thing with them that I did with the stock gears
You should, the only difference is, is that they do not have the color.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Tech Initiate

so not lubing the stock gears wont hurt them at all? and it spins better than if it hade lube? b.c right now my car is in a million places in my room and i want to try it out
Old 10-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Motor Clamp

Originally posted by Shayd
Hi all,

Anyone ever have the problem where no matter how tight you tighten down the motor clamp/heatsink the motor remains loose enough that under power it eventually pulls away from the spur giving you that really nice grinding sound?

I had that problem on Saturday. No matter what I did it wouldn't keep the motor from pulling away. I mic'd the motor cam and it was round and .870. Checked against a brand new one and exactly the same diameter. Had the original motor clamp/heatsink so spent the cash and bought the FT one with the larger fins. Same exact problem. DNF first qual, had to run to pit in second qual to reset pinion and finished fast enough to get 3rd position in B main. Then in B-main happened again just after I took the lead, and I just walked off totally frustrated.

After I got home and chilled out here is what I did to fix it so that it clamps the motor. After I had time to sit down at home and look at it without getting all frustrated again(like at the track that night.)

On the spring side I took a flat file and basically filed down that little ridge where the screw goes into the chassis, and then took it down a bit further. Now the motor stays in place.

Anyone else EVER have this happen?

Scott
Just out of curiosity, do you race in very hot weather?
Were you running modified?
Was your motor overgeared at anytime in the life of your chassis?

When your motor is HOT, it heats up the Cam on the motor. As this is hot, it could start to liquify that section of your chassis, causing the Cam to "sink" in the chassis. Giving more "play" between the cam and the motor clamp.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Tech Initiate

what do u mean by "you should"
Old 10-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

so not lubing the stock gears wont hurt them at all? and it spins better than if it hade lube? b.c right now my car is in a million places in my room and i want to try it out
Although you could do this, I would not recomend it. The gears will wear out quicker, and be much louder than if you did have lube in the gears.

Just use the lube, but not too much. That way the drivetrain should be freeish, and the gears will last longer than with no lube.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

what do u mean by "you should"
I meant that you should lube the "white" gears as you would the "black" gears.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Initiate

how much lube should i use
Old 10-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

It should be about feel when you are lubing the gears on the TC3. I use a "blob" of lube with the diameter a little less than the ring gear's teeth. This is per gear box, so twice as much for the front and the rear.

That is what I use for my gear boxes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.