Search
Like Tree16Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndreC
What up fellow F104'ers! Just got my car.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lipo battery? Good power but relatively cheap?

I purchased a battery with banana connectors only to find out it would'nt work.
like it was said, the packs with bullets WILL fit, just take some extra time to figure them out

that being said, I went with a Peak Performance PowerFlo 4000mah Pack w/Deans

its rounded like a stick pack and fits in the F104 chassis WITHOUT modifications Sadly, its outta stock at stormer
Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Cool. Thanks guys. I'd rather not modify the top deck if I don't have to.
Looks like stormer has the PowerFlo pack with Tamiya connectors, I may just purchase that and put deans plug on it.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Cool. Thanks guys. I'd rather not modify the top deck if I don't have to.
Looks like stormer has the PowerFlo pack with Tamiya connectors, I may just purchase that and put deans plug on it.
i didn't even notice that I just naturally went looking for the ones with the deans connectors - plus i went specifically looking for a pack with deans
Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No worries K. I've gotten relatively skilled at soldering

Looks like i'll be running this thing strictly on carpet. Not sure if the track will require foam or rubbers yet, but by reading ya'lls previous post, I should definitely wear the foam tires on asphalt prior to running on carpet? That way all the carpet and shit doesnt stick to the tires. I dont have a tire truer but I can always use someones.
Thanks for the help! Can't wait to get this beast on th track!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J-VET
If you get the F-60 top deck it will work as long as the battery fits in the space. The Bannana plugs go towards the back. Thats how I run my car for TCS. Much cheaper then a new battery. As for the Pro top deck I just cut the front back and used 2mm spacers where the top deck met the servo mounts. Hope this helps
How's the top deck for Ferrari different? Is it different than other non pro kits?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

The pro uses carbon fiber for its chassis, the F60 uses carbon composite.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Just a thought, but on one of the other F1 RC threads on the forums there is a guy, MikeR, I believe who is with Exotek, they make a beautiful graphite chassis for the HPI F1 car.

Anyway, he has raced in the Ultimate F1 Series I believe, and won, using a 1/18 scale 1800mah lipo pack. The pack is much smaller and lighter than a 1/10 lipo pack and yet provides enough power and run time to get the job done, while saving a lot of space on the chassis. The rules don't stipulate that you have to use a 1/10 pack, so long as it is no more than 2S.

I'm wondering if this might be the future way to go with F1 rc racing as battery placement and space on a cramped F1 chassis is always at a premium, and if a 1/18 lipo pack can do the job, why not use them instead. They also cost less then the 1/10 packs!

Seems like a win-win to me!! Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

No worries K. I've gotten relatively skilled at soldering

Looks like i'll be running this thing strictly on carpet. Not sure if the track will require foam or rubbers yet, but by reading ya'lls previous post, I should definitely wear the foam tires on asphalt prior to running on carpet? That way all the carpet and shit doesnt stick to the tires. I dont have a tire truer but I can always use someones.
Thanks for the help! Can't wait to get this beast on th track!
No need to run in foams, it's the rubbers than need to be run in.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Enforcerman
Just a thought, but on one of the other F1 RC threads on the forums there is a guy, MikeR, I believe who is with Exotek, they make a beautiful graphite chassis for the HPI F1 car.

Anyway, he has raced in the Ultimate F1 Series I believe, and won, using a 1/18 scale 1800mah lipo pack. The pack is much smaller and lighter than a 1/10 lipo pack and yet provides enough power and run time to get the job done, while saving a lot of space on the chassis. The rules don't stipulate that you have to use a 1/10 pack, so long as it is no more than 2S.

I'm wondering if this might be the future way to go with F1 rc racing as battery placement and space on a cramped F1 chassis is always at a premium, and if a 1/18 lipo pack can do the job, why not use them instead. They also cost less then the 1/10 packs!

Seems like a win-win to me!! Any thoughts?
In the run up to my TCS race, we tested many batteries from 3200mAh Orion Carbon packs up to Thunder Power 5000mAh/40C packs. The lighter packs always had the best lap times, and usually they were the lowest mAh packs. Weight seemed to be disproportionately important in this particular application (TCS rules). For reference, a 3200mAh Carbon pack weighed ~200g and a 5000mAh Thunder Power pack weighed ~300g. That's a 100g difference!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Greg, I went back and re-checked that thread that showed MikeR's HPI F1 car with that 1/18 lipo pack and he says it only weighs about 110 grams or 4 ounces!! So the weight savings is huge!! It is a Team Scream 1800 mah 35C hardcase lipo pack that he used. He was the winner of the day in the Ultimate F1 series.

I think he is on to something here and Greg, your findings do seem to support that. I really do believe that going to 1/18 lipo packs is the way to go in the future for F1 rc racing!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
How's the top deck for Ferrari different? Is it different than other non pro kits?
The F-60 kits have a recess on each side in the back for the bullet connectors. No need to cut the top deck. I'm not sure why they dont do the same on the Pro top deck.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

The F-60 kits have a recess on each side in the back for the bullet connectors. No need to cut the top deck. I'm not sure why they dont do the same on the Pro top deck.
I'm blind

Last edited by k_bojar; 08-18-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
In the run up to my TCS race, we tested many batteries from 3200mAh Orion Carbon packs up to Thunder Power 5000mAh/40C packs. The lighter packs always had the best lap times, and usually they were the lowest mAh packs. Weight seemed to be disproportionately important in this particular application (TCS rules). For reference, a 3200mAh Carbon pack weighed ~200g and a 5000mAh Thunder Power pack weighed ~300g. That's a 100g difference!
No weight limits??
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

actually, i don't believe that's the case...

i'm attaching a shot from each manual - and both decks physically look the same, just one is fiberglass and one it carbon

This is the case. I have one of each. My stock f104 pro top deck got damaged so I cut it to fit. Then for TCS since that was not allowed I got a F-60 top deck and use it with bullet connectors. No modifications necessary. The bullet connectors fit just to the left and right of the friction plate with no problems.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
actually, i don't believe that's the case...

i'm attaching a shot from each manual - and both decks physically look the same, just one is fiberglass and one it carbon
Looks different, besides the type of material.

One is flat at the rear of the deck and the other is in a W-shaped.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-f104pro_topdeck.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-f60_topdeck.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.