Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Looking at getting some tyres, what's the best combo to run on large flowing track with medium grip. I heard the standard front tyres wear quite quickly so should I go a bit harder on the fronts and get the standard rears. Input is much appreciated.

Also where is the best place to get them, as lot of places seems to have the tyres out of stock already.

Cheers
Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

believe it or not, have any of u tried going with softer front tires. is it b/c the fronts are so hard that ur plowin and burnin the tires up in that slide. might need softer fronts.

btw, why have i not seen folks pushin idea of 21.5s to phase out cans (and thus can wars)? seem logical especially in consideration to VTA as well.

R
Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAL
Good to see some goodies on the way. Can't wait to do some testing. Got mine almost completed. Just waiting for the darn Mclaren decal set to come back in stock. Going to try these new Lipo Rocket packs out from Orion. Seems like they should fit without any issues with the wire config. Comes in 4000mah as well. On the other hand, Does the blue anodized damnper post just float over the long center screw like that? It seemed odd when I assembled it.

FYI the batt fits perfect!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jim_ed
Do u have any pictures.? It would be great
Here are a couple of pics. As posted previously, the smaller servo saver is used so servo only needs to be angled back slightly and everything still fits under the body. Angle the servo until the steering link is parallel with the lower arm when looking from the front.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-f104-1.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-f104-2.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default F1 Brushless

We are going to try the Hobby wing 13T, 35amp esc compo as a spec system for F1 here in London, Ont. We'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Can you guys check out the dims of this Tekin battery and say if it'll fit in the F104?

http://teamtekin.com/batteries.html
Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Tested my F104 last week with a close buddy of mine at our local track.

The stock rear wing is pathetic. My buddy was on Zen's F103 rear wing and it planted the car on the track.

Changed my front springs, T-Bar (to FRP), Motor Mount, and it was all much better.

With my lay-down servo, it was ok with the steering. Bump-steer was not felt significantly, so you guys have another option of mounting your servo on your F104.

Going to try more stuff on my F104 this coming weekend with things like the aluminum pivot, cutting out the rear winglet (on the lexan body) and some other tuning setups.

Oh, if you guys think that the posts that Tamiya included (for mounting between the upper & lower deck aren't important, you may want to give it a shot.
Alfie
Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alfie
With my lay-down servo, it was ok with the steering. Bump-steer was not felt significantly, so you guys have another option of mounting your servo on your F104.
Pics of how youve mounted the servo?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I don't have the pictures with me now, as I'm at work.

It's basically mounting the servo with the servo gear & tag facing upwards.
Alfie

Originally Posted by Sparx
Pics of how youve mounted the servo?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by croz
We are going to try the Hobby wing 13T, 35amp esc compo as a spec system for F1 here in London, Ont. We'll let you know how it goes.
How did the testing go?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

btw, why have i not seen folks pushin idea of 21.5s to phase out cans (and thus can wars)? seem logical especially in consideration to VTA as well.
Hell yeah, and lets start speedo wars instead
v200=KERS!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Me and a buddy have tested our F104's a couple of times now, they're a blast to run but we're having some trouble..
Handling is almost spot on in corners, but both cars are weaving ALOT on the straights, its almost impossible to run in a straight line..
Were both using digital Futaba servos which works flawless in touring cars..
It got better when switching to 1:12th Kimbrough servo saver and angling the servo up to minimize but still not as good as we hoped..
Anyone else noticed this?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Me and a buddy have tested our F104's a couple of times now, they're a blast to run but we're having some trouble..
Handling is almost spot on in corners, but both cars are weaving ALOT on the straights, its almost impossible to run in a straight line..
It got better when switching to 1:12th Kimbrough servo saver and angling the servo up to minimize but still not as good as we hoped..
Could it be the servo saver being a little too "soft" ??
Old 08-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

can you set the "dead spot" on your radio... you may be over-controlling it... or it could be a lack of caster... I haven't driven one yet so i can't go by personal experience, but those are some things you might want to check..

and if you can set the center dead spot on your radio, you may be able to cut out the on-center twitch if you ARE over-controlling... I've been SO guilty of that instead of letting the car just drive...
Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

can I assume your servo trim is perfectly straight so if you push the car, no pinion with power on, it rolls straight?

also what front camber setting?

how much front toe out, if any are you running?

you wiring is not tweaking your rear pod is it?

mine tracks straight as an arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.