Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can anyone shed some light on whats going on with my motors. I have had 2 ultra sportsman 13.5 motors and both have cooked themselves after only a very short time of having them. The 2nd one cooked yesterday after only the 2nd run from new. I used the suggested gearing that the motor came with and after the first run was temp at 58deg celcius. After 3 mins of my 2nd race, about 3 mins into it the motor suddenly slowed so i pulled off. Temp gun showed 134deg celcius. Cars drivetrain is really free running and the speed control (Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro) was only at 56deg. I really dont know what im doing wrong but its getting really really expensive having to buy motors all the time and quite frankly, 2 motors in such a short time im regretting ever buying speed passion products. Please help
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

How are people finding the new 107 and 110 software against the Tekin 203 and the Mamba Max Pro ? especially on medium sized tracks
Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by my4ari
Can anyone shed some light on whats going on with my motors. I have had 2 ultra sportsman 13.5 motors and both have cooked themselves after only a very short time of having them. The 2nd one cooked yesterday after only the 2nd run from new. I used the suggested gearing that the motor came with and after the first run was temp at 58deg celcius. After 3 mins of my 2nd race, about 3 mins into it the motor suddenly slowed so i pulled off. Temp gun showed 134deg celcius. Cars drivetrain is really free running and the speed control (Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro) was only at 56deg. I really dont know what im doing wrong but its getting really really expensive having to buy motors all the time and quite frankly, 2 motors in such a short time im regretting ever buying speed passion products. Please help
wow Had same Problem
with some SP GT2.0 that not yet been updated.
58deg Celsius for your GT2.0 Pro without fan is too hot
Some solved by increasing your FDR,
Check your Drag Brake
Decrease your Drag Brake , Drag Brake also create more
heat on Motor, and ESC.

Last edited by irgo; 02-08-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
How are people finding the new 107 and 110 software against the Tekin 203 and the Mamba Max Pro ? especially on medium sized tracks
I have found 107 to be faster than the spx, however not as fast as the tekin 203 on top end speed., but on initial start torque, faster than spx and tekin

what i would say is aside from speedo/gearing one cannot ignore a good car setup and driving skills, some of the fast guys will remain faster because they are simply very good drivers...

lastly i am sure SP will be coming out with a newer faster software that will compete with the tekin 203.. probably sp 2.1 pro stock and it's software

here is my best 107 setup

ESC: SP GT 2.0 (PRO)
Software: 107
FDR: 104/47*1.9 = 4.23
Battery: Thunder Power 7.4v 40C
Motor: SP V3 17.5R
Track: 100 Foot Straight away total 100/50 foot
SP ESC Timing: 26 degrees
DRRS: 9
Drag Brake: 25%
Motor Timing: 10 degrees
Capacitor: SP Super Cap

if the motor is coming off too hot, i would go to 22 timing on the esc..
Old 02-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Speed Passion GT 2.0 PRO 107 17.5

Originally Posted by dsyed1
I have found 107 to be faster than the spx, however not as fast as the tekin 203 on top end speed., but on initial start torque, faster than spx and tekin

what i would say is aside from speedo/gearing one cannot ignore a good car setup and driving skills, some of the fast guys will remain faster because they are simply very good drivers...

lastly i am sure SP will be coming out with a newer faster software that will compete with the tekin 203.. probably sp 2.1 pro stock and it's software

here is my best 107 setup

ESC: SP GT 2.0 (PRO)
Software: 107
FDR: 104/47*1.9 = 4.23
Battery: Thunder Power 7.4v 40C
Motor: SP V3 17.5R
Track: 100 Foot Straight away total 100/50 foot
SP ESC Timing: 26 degrees
DRRS: 9
Drag Brake: 25%
Motor Timing: 10 degrees
Capacitor: SP Super Cap

if the motor is coming off too hot, i would go to 22 timing on the esc..
What is your Motor and ESC TEMP ?
And you should comparing with
same Motor Turn and FDR,Battery, same Car, with TEKIN/SPX
otherwise it doesn't mean anything yet, or have you ?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfrahm
Solara -- Thanks for the response... I am pretty sure the ESC is OK -- the LRP cable plug just appears to be under-sized (it is too easy to insert/pull out of the ESC -- it also does not have any locking notch to engage with the socket on the ESC... I have not yet figured out what the problem was with the Novak cable, and I WILL order an SP cable, just to be safe..

However, for now, I may have to either try the "tape trick" to make the cable I have a tighter fit or see if the Novak has some molding flash that prevents it from seating... At the track, in the heat of competition, it is hard to accurately diagnose some things. I have had such great performance and relaibility from my GT2.0 LPF's that this just caught me by surprise -- especially since I had never had a problem before, even with the combo using Novak motors (I've used both a 13.5 SS and Ballistic 13.5's with the other SP GT2.0 LPF and had great luck)..

PS: The new v3 13.5 is a GREAT MOTOR! when the cable was working right, this new motor is STRONG! better torque and better top end than the Ultrasporstman 13.5 I had been doing so well with. Motor temps indicate I can still gear up, gaining even more speed!

PS2: I should point out that a cable problem like this with a Novak ESC would have been MUCH worse -- A Novak ESC will NOT even run without the sensor cable connected! With the SP ESC, I was at least able to finish the main (the SP just switched over to sensorless operation automatically -- some cogging at low speed and loss of top end, but IT FINISHED THE RACE!).
Thats great....I don't think SP design the speedo because of "THAT" specific reason...but anything is GOOD beside a "DNF".
Old 02-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by irgo
What is your Motor and ESC TEMP ?
And you should comparing with
same Motor Turn and FDR,Battery, same Car, with TEKIN/SPX
otherwise it doesn't mean anything yet, or have you ?
by no means this is an official and detailed comparison analysis of the different speed controls, I have all three of them and tried running them all and ended up staying with SP gear

i am racing in the 17.5 class so everyone runs 17.5 from one brand or another, people are running anything from a duo, duo2, lrp x12, novak and speed passion v2 and v3 motors, but speedos are mostly either tekin or spx also most folks here are using similar 40c to 50c type lipo batteries as well

my motor temps are around 155-160 in the above setup, not sure the temp on the esc but i have the stock sp fan running on it..

i am currently racing with the same cars as well (xray t2/t3) that are running Tekin and SPX... I know off the line at start of the race my car has much more torque but Tekin 203 will pass me fairly easily once the turbo kicks in...

I think what i was trying to point out to in my observation is that car setup and driving skills are also a big part of the equation... i think you are probably at a greater competitive advantage by being a better driver and knowing car setup really well vs having the fastest speedo/motor or an expensive new car
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by my4ari
(1) What software is on the GT2? Is that a new GT2 that you purchased or it is used by someone and you bought it used?

(2) Gearing...you said you used the suggested FDR, what would that be?

Give us these info and we can start from there.....

I had one motor blew (brand new motor) within 3 minutes cause I was using a prototype software with no suggested FDR....blowing motor is what I was expected (Gear it too low was the reason). But if using the suggesed software, with suggested FDR...I have no SP motor melting problem including 2 first generation SP 13.5 motor that is more then 3 years old.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I am running the lpf with the 107 software with a 17.5 and our track has a 75 foot straightaway, I am faster on the straight and more punch inthe infield than the spx s/s and The ko's but can't touch the topend of the tekin. But I can put down the same lap times as the tekins. Also I played with the 107 & 110 this weekend and for me the 107 has much more punch and delivered 2 more mph on the radar gun on the straight with same fdr and motor timing, but did also produce about 10 degrees more motor temp. Hope this helps someone.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

ok i convinced myself to upgrade from GT PRO V1.1 to the GT PRO V2.0.
SORRY if my question as been asked before,but would the GT PRO V2.0 have in the future the dynamic timing settings?or WITCH SP MODEL WILL HAVE IT??
THANX
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dsyed1
by no means this is an official and detailed comparison analysis of the different speed controls, I have all three of them and tried running them all and ended up staying with SP gear

i am racing in the 17.5 class so everyone runs 17.5 from one brand or another, people are running anything from a duo, duo2, lrp x12, novak and speed passion v2 and v3 motors, but speedos are mostly either tekin or spx also most folks here are using similar 40c to 50c type lipo batteries as well

my motor temps are around 155-160 in the above setup, not sure the temp on the esc but i have the stock sp fan running on it..

i am currently racing with the same cars as well (xray t2/t3) that are running Tekin and SPX... I know off the line at start of the race my car has much more torque but Tekin 203 will pass me fairly easily once the turbo kicks in...

I think what i was trying to point out to in my observation is that car setup and driving skills are also a big part of the equation... i think you are probably at a greater competitive advantage by being a better driver and knowing car setup really well vs having the fastest speedo/motor or an expensive new car
I can definitely agree with you....SP GT2 with 107/110 software DOES indeed can race again TEKIN or LRP....within track like 100 foot or less. With track like 40x100...the TURBO does not do the complete kill like they do when they are racing outdoor with 150 foot straight (that...without 203, you are at the B-Main...). As long as within 100 foot straight, I know the 107/110 software does work pretty good compete with Tekin/LRP. I mainly race 13.5 and I know my GT2 does work very nicely again 203 powered 13.5....but again, it is all the indoor carpet track shorter then 100 foot long straight.

But I can say this...if your track has more then 75 foot long straight, V203 is definitely the FASTEST.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Guys
I'm after a starting setup for a GT2 pro running a 10.5 indoors in a TRF416x. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what progfile to use and a FDR please?

Cheers

Paul
Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by guinnes.s
ok i convinced myself to upgrade from GT PRO V1.1 to the GT PRO V2.0.
SORRY if my question as been asked before,but would the GT PRO V2.0 have in the future the dynamic timing settings?or WITCH SP MODEL WILL HAVE IT??
THANX
All the update in the future would be SOFTWARE upgrade....free from SP website, you just need to buy the hardware, the GT2.0 PRO or the GT2.1 STOCK SPEC along with the SP digital LCD programmer card....then upload the software and race.

I also recommand those $250 netbook....you can watch movie while wrenching cars plus save/create report on your software testing.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mutley001
Hi Guys
I'm after a starting setup for a GT2 pro running a 10.5 indoors in a TRF416x. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what progfile to use and a FDR please?

Cheers

Paul
I have yet to try 10.5....but you can definitely use the 1107 or 1110 software for 10.5 motor. My guess is 5.8 final drive but that is just my guess...use your last final drive from your previously used speedo to start and keep checking on motor temp and speed.

AMTS set at 6, DRRS set at 7....motor timing @ stock.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Suspended

As above, i'll need some good base settings for the gt2.0 pro using the sp v3.0 10.5.... Track is 20meters by 12 meters..... And our big circuit it 30meters by 16 meters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.