Search
Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
I'm trying to learn how to use the progran card that came with my GT2.1 EX. The instructions say the plug is in the lower right corner. Well it isn't. Mine has 2 plugs located in the middle of the right side. The instructions say the plug is marked for + - and signal. Neither of my sockets is marked in any way. Which socket do I use, and what is the polarity? Your instruction sheet is rather poor in regards to the program card.
I just checked both of my standard program boxes, and they are both marked via a sticker to identify the pins.

If you are looking at the box and the ports are the top edge the pins are:

Left Plug
- +
Right plug
- + <signal>

Right plug is used to connect to the ESC.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I posted this in the Electronics thread but maybe it would be better here...

Hello,
I'm a newbie to the R/C World. I just bought a second hand car and was looking at the wiring.

It has a Speed Passion GT 2.1 Pro Stock ESC. There is a capacitor on it.

The one thing I noticed straight away is that the capacitor has both the Black and Red wires soldered to the RED + on the ESC.

Now from my limited knowledge of capacitors I figured the guy who sold it to me had done it incorrect and it should be on the Positive and Negative of the ESC

I looked in the manual and there is a picture showing how to connect it but it has arrows pointing to the capacitor wires and says -

Red Capacitor Wire (Positive). Black Capacitor Wire (Positive)

The picture does show that the black should connect to the negative but it is not overly clear and if you were not sure and followed the text pointing to the Black wire saying "Positive" I can see how people would connect it to the Red.

I've just had a good look and there is a Note which does say
NOTE: The Capacitor MUST be connected to the (+) and (-) of the ESC. The ESC WILL be damaged if it is operated
without the capacitor.

I think there would be a number of people (like the guy I bought this from) who would just look at the picture and wire it incorrectly.

(you can see a PDF of the User Manual on the Speed Passion web site.
I included a screenshot from the manual showing the problem but don't have enough posts yet to post URLs)

The note says it WILL cause damage if operated without the capacitor. With both wires on the Positive it is effectively operating without the capacitor..

Despite the "Note" everything does seem to work ok.

Anyone else noticed this.?
Is it likely to have caused any long term damage ?

Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks
Leigh
Old 02-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by leigh123
I posted this in the Electronics thread but maybe it would be better here...

Hello,
I'm a newbie to the R/C World. I just bought a second hand car and was looking at the wiring.

It has a Speed Passion GT 2.1 Pro Stock ESC. There is a capacitor on it.

The one thing I noticed straight away is that the capacitor has both the Black and Red wires soldered to the RED + on the ESC.

Now from my limited knowledge of capacitors I figured the guy who sold it to me had done it incorrect and it should be on the Positive and Negative of the ESC

I looked in the manual and there is a picture showing how to connect it but it has arrows pointing to the capacitor wires and says -

Red Capacitor Wire (Positive). Black Capacitor Wire (Positive)

The picture does show that the black should connect to the negative but it is not overly clear and if you were not sure and followed the text pointing to the Black wire saying "Positive" I can see how people would connect it to the Red.

I've just had a good look and there is a Note which does say
NOTE: The Capacitor MUST be connected to the (+) and (-) of the ESC. The ESC WILL be damaged if it is operated
without the capacitor.

I think there would be a number of people (like the guy I bought this from) who would just look at the picture and wire it incorrectly.

(you can see a PDF of the User Manual on the Speed Passion web site.
I included a screenshot from the manual showing the problem but don't have enough posts yet to post URLs)

The note says it WILL cause damage if operated without the capacitor. With both wires on the Positive it is effectively operating without the capacitor..

Despite the "Note" everything does seem to work ok.

Anyone else noticed this.?
Is it likely to have caused any long term damage ?

Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks
Leigh
glad to see a new person loving the hobbie your common sence is right red to positive and black to negative not sure of long term effects but if its still working than i would assume your good
hope this help and hope you enjoy this hobby as much as i do
Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by g12314
I just checked both of my standard program boxes, and they are both marked via a sticker to identify the pins.

If you are looking at the box and the ports are the top edge the pins are:

Left Plug
- +
Right plug
- + <signal>

Right plug is used to connect to the ESC.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just got home from a long day of racing and I would like to say I am very impressed with my newly installed GT Pro Stock V2.1 speedo. Im running it in my Team Associated SC10 in stock short course class with a Trinity Dou 3 17.5 motor. Im running 26 pinion and 75 spur and max. timing and boost. Motor temp. borderline too high at 160 after 5 min. race but the power was smooth and unreal for a stock motor. Very good speedo, highly recommend.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Boost

I have just had the chance to run my speedpassion gt2 with the new 119 firmware on it. All I can say is wow is it great. I run a tekin in one car and the speedpassion in another car. Both run 13.5 motors and the speedpassion is faster and easier to setup and understand. It was worth the wait to get this kind of performance and tunability.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to understand how the hell updating a firmware works...
When i go on the speedpassion website, then on GT2.0 LPF ( my esc ), and when I look for a firmware, it comes up with " drivers " , " programs " and " firmware " ....
What am i suposed to dowload on the PC and then which one for the ESC o.O
Im confused lol ...
Btw, i run 13.5 and I want to have the boost/supercharger/turbo updates...
If someone could take abit of time and do a explanation on how and what to download with links, it would be much much apreciated
Thanks in advance
Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Hello everyone,
I have been trying to understand how the hell updating a firmware works...
When i go on the speedpassion website, then on GT2.0 LPF ( my esc ), and when I look for a firmware, it comes up with " drivers " , " programs " and " firmware " ....
What am i suposed to dowload on the PC and then which one for the ESC o.O
Im confused lol ...
Btw, i run 13.5 and I want to have the boost/supercharger/turbo updates...
If someone could take abit of time and do a explanation on how and what to download with links, it would be much much apreciated
Thanks in advance
Yeah, it's kinda confusing. The firmware is under the 2.1. But it works on the 2.0 models as well. The first one listed in the download section, the V1.35, is the latest. Somewhere there is a video too, but I'm not seeing it right now.

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...02PROscb&c=ESC

Found the video, the last one:

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/video.asp

Install the firmware twice to make sure it takes completely. Then redo the one touch set up, calibrate the esc to your radio endpoints. Then turn the throttle endpoint up on your radio some, to make sure any radio drift doesn't prevent getting full boost.

Last edited by Dave H; 02-13-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Does anyone have a link to a documentation of what feature does what in this speedo (i.e. DDRS...)? The online manual is outdated.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hi Guys

I have a capacitor bank similar to the one pictured, however its basically double that, four by four, I used it with my Ko Propo ESC's, will it be fine with my SP GT2.1 ?

Regards,
John.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by latemodel13
I have just had the chance to run my speedpassion gt2 with the new 119 firmware on it. All I can say is wow is it great. I run a tekin in one car and the speedpassion in another car. Both run 13.5 motors and the speedpassion is faster and easier to setup and understand. It was worth the wait to get this kind of performance and tunability.
is this the same 119 firmware for HW Xerun ESCs?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Firmware

Yes
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

hi all
i want to change my capacitor i've got 2200 25v, will it be ok with my GT 2.1

cheers Ginge
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have a GT 2.0 lpf in my blitz with a Nemesis 10.5, and noticed that when I give it full throttle, while I'm holding the truck in the air, that it will run at partial throttle for about half a second then go to full. Is that normal? Also a couple weeks ago I had the issue that after two or three minutes, the truck would be sluggish when moving from a dead stop, or a really slow section. I thought it may be the motor so i tried a ballistic 10.5 and it still did it. Would really love some help at this point.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ChefDementia
I have a GT 2.0 lpf in my blitz with a Nemesis 10.5, and noticed that when I give it full throttle, while I'm holding the truck in the air, that it will run at partial throttle for about half a second then go to full. Is that normal? Also a couple weeks ago I had the issue that after two or three minutes, the truck would be sluggish when moving from a dead stop, or a really slow section. I thought it may be the motor so i tried a ballistic 10.5 and it still did it. Would really love some help at this point.
well ur latest problem sounds like sensor wire and your earlier problem sounds like the software didnt get flashed to the esc twice it is recommended that u flash software twice to the esc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.