Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mcsquish
Hmmmmm, I may just have to get back into carpet again next winter..........
You will have to check that with the wife won't you?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nope....

She lets me play with my toys as long as she can play with hers (band saws, table saws, sanders, etc, etc and yes I thought I had better explain the term 'toys') Plus it gives her a break from me.......

Nice to hear from you Andy.........
Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Rob - Yes, I did mess around with the LRP X12 in practice but I had troubles with it. I had permission from Hacker to test other modified motors to learn a bit more and with the super high traction levels at a big event it's really the only way to learn for major races. I did use a Hacker 4.5 in qualifying and the final.

mikky - No chance on the Solid Works files, you'll have to use calipers and draw it your self when you buy one...lol... Also, I DID NOT HAVE ANY SAY IN ALLOWING PICTURES OR PRESS RELEASE.... I do not understand why your guys can't understand that this is not my department - It is up to TOP Racing to decide this and I am only the driver/engineer so for future reference, DON'T BLAME ME....lol...

NACHO - Nope, the Photon will have all new shocks. The springs will fit but the shock bodies and other parts for the shocks are completely new.

Everyone, keep in mind that the cars that EJ and I ran are pre-production prototypes. In testing for the past few months we found a few minor issues and details that we adjusted and fixed for production.

This past weekend was a great weekend for the Photon. EJ was able to qualify 3rd and finish 2nd with the Photon at the ROAR Carpet Nats in the Rubber Tire Super Stock Class (did I mention the Photon was actually designed for rubber tires with elements of adjustability added to accomidate foam tire racing). In Mod, I had my best run of the year running 3rd behind Lemieux and Herbert.

It's been a tough season with running the Photon for the first time in Cleveland. Knowing how critical everyone is on here and watching at the tracks, I really had to just race and try to keep things safe all year to get good results and keep the car looking good and moving forward. I really couldn't just throw out a race to do the testing I needed to find the details in the set-up to really make the car as good as I know it can be. At the last Grand Slam event, I had the series locked up so I used it to test and learn a little. It paid off as I had a much better idea on things for the Nats and even through the event I tried and learned a lot. Now that we are done with the majors, I am looking forward to hitting the track and learning more about the Photon so we are ready for the 2009/2010 indoor season. I must say though, we still have a lot to learn about the car but I think I am most excited about the coming rubber tire races. EJ's car was ok when he arrived but as he adjusted the set-up and his confidence grew, it was awesome to watch the car knowing that I get to finally drive a rubber tire car that has traction and looks as good as EJ's did. Reedy Race, here we come!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Josh...Curious as to how much weight you needed to add to the car to make weight? Its very hard to tell from the pics posted online lol. Congrats to yourself and EJ for a awesome show at Nats. with the car.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

We had multiple reasons for not releasing the pictures sooner. One of them being we didn’t want to release pictures without proper explanations of them. Josh tried to get us to do this much sooner, but like they say “there are not enough hours in a day.” Also a lot of this is my fault as I was over zealous about running the car and did so at our local ROAR Regional race. It was too soon to let people know there was another kit coming. At that time production was still a long way away.

This past weekend was a confidence builder as the car was very good. It made me look like a much better driver then I am. Josh did an excellent job with the design and trust me, none of us can wait to get it into racers hands.

Gitsum - I had to add 63g on the weight tray to get the car balanced out left to right. Keep in mind I’m running a full size servo and pretty big receiver on the left side. I also had to add another 70g around the car to get it to the ROAR minimum weight of 1500g.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
We had multiple reasons for not releasing the pictures sooner. One of them being we didn’t want to release pictures without proper explanations of them. Josh tried to get us to do this much sooner, but like they say “there are not enough hours in a day.” Also a lot of this is my fault as I was over zealous about running the car and did so at our local ROAR Regional race. It was too soon to let people know there was another kit coming. At that time production was still a long way away.

This past weekend was a confidence builder as the car was very good. It made me look like a much better driver then I am. Josh did an excellent job with the design and trust me, none of us can wait to get it into racers hands.

Gitsum - I had to add 63g on the weight tray to get the car balanced out left to right. Keep in mind I’m running a full size servo and pretty big receiver on the left side. I also had to add another 70g around the car to get it to the ROAR minimum weight of 1500g.
EJ....appreciate the info...
Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Josh or EJ, when the Photon is released, will you guys have setup info for The Track in Gaithersburg, MD? I am looking at this car, along with Victor.

And also, will the car be anodized in green? If TOP says it is bad luck, tell them about AXIAL and all the other Chinese manufacturers of parts and cars that anodize green.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
And also, will the car be anodized in green? If TOP says it is bad luck, tell them about AXIAL and all the other Chinese manufacturers of parts and cars that anodize green.
Green on a racecar is a nono. How many Worlds and Nats have Axial won? Somehow Josh makes it work for him but not on my cars

I really want to try a CEFX car but the first thing I'm doing when I get one is sending all the parts to the anodizer. Unless I can talk Josh into making me a custom colored Phoenix, hint hint
Old 03-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
Green on a racecar is a nono. How many Worlds and Nats have Axial won? Somehow Josh makes it work for him but not on my cars

I really want to try a CEFX car but the first thing I'm doing when I get one is sending all the parts to the anodizer. Unless I can talk Josh into making me a custom colored Phoenix, hint hint
Heh, yeah. Josh and I were joking how the car looked like a Kyosho Stallion or a Robitronic AVID with all the red. Now, if they annodize the car in white... how interesting would that look? Or yellow? Or GUN METAL? Just something unique.

I understand green is a nono in Chinese culture because it represents the earth, but also think about how successful AXIAL is. Sure they didn't win any races because they specialize in Rock Climbers, but they sure are selling their cars like hot cakes!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ah, a rock crawler is not a race car. Therefore, hundred year old racing superstitions don't apply

Seriously though, I'm not a superstitious person but my dad always told me green was unlucky on race cars so I promised him never to drive a green car. An orange Photon or Phoenix just might look sharp.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
Ah, a rock crawler is not a race car. Therefore, hundred year old racing superstitions don't apply

Seriously though, I'm not a superstitious person but my dad always told me green was unlucky on race cars so I promised him never to drive a green car. An orange Photon or Phoenix just might look sharp.
Yeah but Xray has that color now on their T2'008... I mean T2'009. I keep getting those two cars confused. Thankfully they colored them different.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

The anodizing on the Photon will be red
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by odpurple
The anodizing on the Photon will be red
Argh... if I get one, I am going to annodize the parts gun metal.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HarryN
Argh... if I get one, I am going to annodize the parts gun metal.
Yeah, and you'll probably put a "scale" body on it too
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by odpurple
Yeah, and you'll probably put a "scale" body on it too
Nah, not as hard pressed on TCs as I am about Pan Cars. I got into Pan Cars because it was pitched to me that it was for realistic scaled bodies. The TC cars and their unrealistic bodies look pretty cool.

The TOP Racing Photon sure is going to make all those TC shells look "bootiful"!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.